1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX860 Keeps turning itself off!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by drago, Jul 4, 2007.

1. drago

drago Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My Sony 860 keeps turning itself off. Once switched back on it set itself to L1 rather than TV Tuner? Any ideas still under guarentee but wondering if a common problem

Thanks
  2. barnsleykeith

barnsleykeith Member

Ratings:
    +14
    The L1 input is a dead give away for power supply problems. Check the wall socket, power plug and power cable, right up to where it enters the unit.
  3. drago

drago Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that checked power cables etc still keeps turning off:thumbsdow
  4. barnsleykeith

barnsleykeith Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It is either an external power supply problem or an internal one. Power off then disconnect all cables such as scarts rf cables etc. Unplug from the mains and plug the unit into a different power socket that is not using multiple devices. Switch on and see if the recorder lights up normally. Use remote to change input etc. You can even put a DVD into it and play FF RW etc. Turn off and on. You dont really need the device to be connected to the telly as you can do all this by looking at the display. If the problem keeps repeating it's an internal problem best dealt with under warranty. If it operates ok in the new wall socket its the original power supply that's at fault.
  5. drago

drago Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply. I think its internal as the unit is plugged into a Monster power distribution panel. John Lewis here I come.:mad:
  6. ejsilk

ejsilk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    my Hx860 is doing the same thing and started around 6pm yesterday!!

i think its a problem with the model
  7. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Unplug from the mains and reboot.
  8. ejsilk

ejsilk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks i done that a few times and it still kept doing the same thing.
    I only got it in January, so back to comets with it earlier today.
    they said it can take 21 days to sort out
  9. ngood77

ngood77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My player started this two days ago. Would only switch off when playing an actual DVD. It seemed to be ok when viewing from HDD or simply Freeview. Have rebooted (by holding down on/off) and it seems to be ok. BUt should I really get this looked into properly whilst under warranty ?

Any success from others ?
  10. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    I just had it happen a couple of times several days ago, while the machine was on, but idle. I just unplugged it and rebooted. It's been fine since then.
    Maybe there has been a s/w update, that needed a cold boot. Just a thought.. I would wait and see if it re-occurs, before you jump.
  11. ngood77

ngood77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that sounds fair enough, I'll give it a while to review the situation, thanks JH4.

Have only just received the player back from Digital Direct as I thought the fan was too noisy but they said engineer found no fault. They are now chasing for £40 but I am trying to avoid paying that, con !
  12. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Yeh, certainly Sky boxes and Freeview sets need cold re-booting sometimes, so no need to panic just yet.
    If mine does it again, I'll report here.
  13. Jabbaa

Jabbaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    right, my 860 has started doing this auto-off thing too. Was recording the Shield onto hdd from the internal tuner and it has turned itself off and on and recorded it in 3 sections (34min, 14min, 5mins) missing chunks. Thought it was a one off so went to work today and left it to record gp qualifying and then harry potter. Thought it may have been a problem with the digital signal so I set these up to tape from L3 - sky. Intead of 2 new files I have 9 of various sizes. This is a big problem.
  14. Massdark

Massdark Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What version of the Sony 860 firmware do people have with this problem?

(You can find the firmware from system menu, setup, dtv settings, technical information, manufacturers information)

I noticed that my firmware is now v1.01.09 CE, I think this updated earlier this week from an 'over-the-air' download. It's too much of a coincidence that the reboot issue occurred after the firmware update.

I've just pulled the plug for 30 seconds then soft rebooted (hold power for 20 seconds).

Hopefully it's just a glitch in the firmware update and can be resolved easily.
  15. Jabbaa

Jabbaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my firmware is v1.01.09 CE. Hope they can sort it out before saturday or I'm going to be well annnoyed at missing the last 2 eps of heroes!
  16. rich_jtg

rich_jtg Member

Ratings:
    +13
    My sister is having the same trouble with her HX860... was starting to think that it would need to be sent back. Will find out what firmware the unit is running.
  17. Jabbaa

Jabbaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been hunting around today and the digitalspy forum has a similar thread to this one, lots of people with 860's (and 1 guy with a 1065) that have started splitting recordings and powering down by themselves since thursday 5th July 07. Lot of the people there are seeing the problem with Channel5 channels, (5, 5US etc). That would include me as I first got this with The Shield, 5 on firday night but i have also had it on my L3 Sky input since. Maybe the new fimrware doesnt like 5? Possible? Just want to know how sony are going to sort it really, so I'll race you to the phone helpline tomorrow morning.
  18. rich_jtg

rich_jtg Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, it's also v1.01.09 CE
  19. Michael G

Michael G Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I sent this message to Sony, over the Weekend & twice - today.
    I am having 'Lock Up' problems with my RDR-HXD 860 Hard Drive Recorder. Over the past week, the machine has been freezing the image on screen, then powering down/ cutting off! for no apparent reason. I am not alone with this problem, many other owners - with the same model, have experienced the same problem, during the same time frame.
    From reading other Sony customers views on the AV Forums, please visit;http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=605507 I think the problem lies with the automatic Software Upgrade: v1.01.09CE. Up until recently, this machine has worked wonderfuly. Now. it keeps cutting off - on it's own, for no good reason.
    If you at Sony can fix this, then please let me know, as a matter of urgency.
    Otherwise , I want full refund of my money.
    The machine is good, but only if it works.
    I look forward to your early reply, otherwise, I will post this message on the 'Net' for other
    RDR-HXD 860 owners, to be aware!
    With Regards, Michael Goberdhan. 09.07.07. (Long Time Sony Customer).
    P.S. My brother, a 'tech', advised me to go back to the 'Settings,'
    reset 'All' - Factory Settings, then disable 'Automatic Software Update.' Now you can go back and set up the system, as you want to, but DO NOT put on the 'Automatic Software Update.' So far, this seems to have fixed the problem. But I'll wait and see. Sony should post a Notice on thier Site, this look's like a software problem, that they should address!
  20. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    I have this s/w, but it hasn't happened again since I did a 'mains off', several days ago. See above.
  21. Jabbaa

Jabbaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    left my 860 on standby from last night till 2pm today. Have been able since then to watch a programmefrom the HDD recorded before friday from sky with no problems, dubbed it to a disc no problems and I have also done 2 timer records from L3/sky, both of which were carried out correctly. :thumbsup:

Firmware still says 1.01.09CE but it seems to be ok for now. Not going to try and record anything off internal tuner Channel5, digitalspy guys all think thats the problem. As long as I can record from Sky ok, I can wait for new firmware to record from the tuner. Customer service line is supposed to phone me back tomorrow with info to. See what they say.
  22. andyp

andyp Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Was just about to sit down and start a thread about this issue, as I looked here about a week ago when the problem first occurred and there wasn't anything!

My first occurrence of this issue was during a R2 DVD playback, happened twice. However it has since happened a couple of times during a HDD playback. Tonight I had two Ch5 / US recordings split up into multiple sections, and another couple of shut downs.

Firmware is latest version v1.01.09 CE

Have now performed a power down and re-boot, will report back in due course.

This is such a shame as I love this machine. I'm a die hard Sony fan and this is my first issue with a Sony product :mad:

Andy
  23. Sick-Boy

Sick-Boy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've also just started to experience this issue in the last few days.

First the unit powered itself off whilst watching a DVD then it's done the same thing when watching recorded programmes from the HDD and also whilst recording (splitting the recording into sections). I have also had times where it's behaved itself fine, recording and playing back hour long programmes. Can't seem to pin the problem down to anything specific :confused:

Each time it powers off and then back on again, I did the obvious things like check the cables, soft reboot. I was on the verge of formatting the HDD (though it's unlikely to be the problem if the same thing occurs on DVD playback)

It does sound like the new firmware is a bit dodgy if we're all suddenly having this problem. Fingers crossed Sony will fix it for us

Restoring to the original firmware sounds like an interesting idea...
  24. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Yeh, mine is doing it now. Thought my reboot (see above) had fixed it, but it's done it 3 times this morning(Tue) Once from idle and twice while recording from L2.
    The first recording was 1Hr and 2Mins before it switched off at about 08:39.
    I tried a second recording but that switched off straight away !
    Hope SONY are reading this.. They won't sell many at this rate..
    EDIT: I've just found that it also split a 1 Hr programme on C5 into 3 parts, last night. First chunk was 5Mins, then 34 and finally 23Mins. Deffo a problem methinks..
  25. fitshace

fitshace Member

Ratings:
    +5
  26. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Yeh, interesting that it's related to C5, but my machine is now switching off at random today, just from idle, and it's not switched to C5, either.
    It's done it about 3 times in the last hour or so..
  27. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Just done it again at 14:04. Powers off then on briefly, with the 'welcome' message, then off again.
  28. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    .. and again at 14:09 !
  29. worldofnic

worldofnic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god for this thread. My wife was all for sending the box back to RGB Direct.

Apparently, it will reset itself several times a day, but never(?) does in the evening when I'm home.

Sony had better fix this soon, or I won't be buying a Bravia (or any other Sony products).

nic
  30. Michael G

Michael G Member

Ratings:
    +1
    One day on, and thankfully no more problems, re: Powering Down & Switching Off for no good reason!
    ADVICE; GO BACK TO 'SETTINGS.' SELECT FACTORY SETTINGS 'ALL,' Reset.
    Then deselect - switch off - 'Software Automatic Update.'
    Next, select settings you want for your RDR HXD860,
    BUT DO NOT SET THE - 'SOFTWARE AUTOMATIC UPDATE' to ON!

This seems to solve the problem, I hope this help's others with the anoying -
    "swiching off" issue.
    Let me know how you get on, Best Wishes, Michael G.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1