1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HTSS360 & Sky HD issue

Discussion in 'All-in-one Systems' started by DICKYBIRD, Nov 1, 2009.

1. DICKYBIRD

DICKYBIRD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've setup my Samsung LED, PS3, Sky HD and Sony HTSS360 in the following way :

HDMI out from HTSS to TV
    HDMI from PS3 to HTSS
    HDMI from Sky HD to HTSS
    Optical out from Sky HD to HTSS

PS3 works fine, however when I select the SAT option on the HTSS I get sound and vision through the surround sound but the sound is only 2.0 (ie through the sub woofer and 2 front speakers). The 2 rear speakers and centre speaker are not outputting anything.

Where am I going wrong please?
  2. gavpre

gavpre Member

Ratings:
    +64
    not suprised, im with virgin media everything except some HD channel broadcast in 2.0, try BBC HD they do a few programmes with 5.1, all you can do for the standard channels in turn Dolby ProLogicII (get 5.1, sound effects for rears) or AFD Standard (should get 3.1) or AFD Multi (plays 5.1, duplicates 2.0 through all speakers~front left + rear left same sound etc)

i have this system, playing call of duty through this system sounds amazing!!! you happy with the sound you get from it??
  3. DICKYBIRD

DICKYBIRD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's excellent.
  4. lucas4

lucas4 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    i dont have this system or anything, but ino with sky hd you hav to connect the hdmi to the tv for video then optical to htss for audio. sky hd wont pass sound through hdmi. you then have to change the settings on sky hd but this is easy!
  5. DICKYBIRD

DICKYBIRD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I watched Fringe on Sky 1 HD. On the information it displayed DD so thought this was going to output in 5.1 sound, however it still any came through the amp as 2.0 CH. Should this have come through as 5.1 and if so where am I going wrong?

I have a HDMI going from the SkyHD to amp then a HDMI from the amp to the TV. I also have an optical cable going from the SkyHD to the amp. I've changed the SkyHD sound settings to show Dolby D. I've checked there is a red light coming out of the end of the optical cable from the SkyHD. When I select SAT on the amp it displays HDMI and only shows the 2 front speakers and the SW. Is there another setting I need to change?

All help greatly received.
  6. hippo99

hippo99 Active Member

Ratings:
    +992
    You say you've got both the HDMI & optical both plugged into the AMP. Which inputs are they plugged into? Have you got say HDMI, plugged into 'SAT' HDMI input & optical into 'video 1' input?

If you've done something like that, when you switch your AMP to SAT input (for picture), you're getting the sound from the HDMI only as the optical is on a different input.
    If you tried switching to the 'video 1' optical input, you'll get the sound from the optical but no picture as picture is on the 'SAT' input.
    (hope I'm making some sort of sense to you :rotfl:)

Try disconnecting the HDMI between the Sky & AMP as its not needed. Connect the HDMI directly between the SKY & TV. Connect only the optical between Sky & AMP.
  7. thebeaver

thebeaver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    help i have a sony htss 360 amp and when i turn the amp over to the sat setting while i watch sky i gain the sound but the tv switches automatically to my hdmi1 channel on my sky tv, so sound but no picture -very frustrating. my sony tv is connected by hdmi to amp and i have an opyical cable connected to my sky box to the amp. any ideas as it worked ok for the first day but since it just switches itself over. sorry if this doesnt relate to this thread but not sure where to start a new thread:lease:
  8. hippo99

hippo99 Active Member

Ratings:
    +992
    Have you read my post, which is directly above your post?:facepalm:
    How have you got your TV, Amp & sky connected? Do you have sky connected by HDMI to TV or Amp?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. westwards

westwards Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

You can run the the HDMI cable to the amp (rather than the TV) together with the optical cable and still get 5.1. I had the same problem and the fix is:

Go into amp menu, down to custom (whilst sky is running through the amp) and on that menu go to the bottom menu (it says something input), change to optical from HDMI.

You should then find that when you select SAT the audio feed is taken from the optical and is produced in either 2.0 or 5.1 depending on the broadcast
  10. thebeaver

thebeaver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys for your help, have now sorted the problem:thumbsup: