Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony ES or Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by NavSG, Jan 28, 2012.

1. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm just starting out in putting together a hi fi system. Been doing research and it seems some of the vintage Sony and HK gear could be worth a shot. I mainly listen to Garage, House, D'n'B, Hip Hop and R'n'B. So i'm after an amp with good solid bass and decent midrange. So far I have pinpointed Sony TA-F700ES and HK 6550 or HK 680 as potential amps. Any recommendations for which amp is best suited for my music needs ? Also, what speakers will make a good pairing to these amps (budget £250 for speakers second hand).

TIA
  2. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Always had a soft spot for Sony ES and TA amps.

Built like tanks to very high standards and still quite collectible.
  3. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone recommend a good pre amp to be used with a pair of Sony TA-N55ES power amps.
  4. Van Dam

Van Dam Member

Ratings:
    +174
    If you are looking specifically at Sony preamps then you may be limited for choice as they are hard to obtain. I currently have a TA-E1000ESD preamp, which is highly regarded in its 2ch performance. Alternatively, an ES integrated stereo amp with preamplifier outputs would work well. I used to use one with my twin N55ES amps. You would do well with either of these choices.
  5. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Both are exceptionally good value for money, you have to review both marques and look at users reviews, I've owned a few Sony ES amps - my all time favourite was the TA-F630ESD (rare), you can see by my sig I love the ES range (currently selling a TA-F3000ES in the Amp classfied), I have also owned 2x HK6550s, again loved it, this little cheap second hand buy had more grip and power reserves than a Primare A30.1 II - when using my Dyn Conts 1.3IIs. So if you can land a HK6550 for £100ish, and then looks for a pair of Dyn Cont 1.1s or 52SEs I have seen these at the £300 mark in the past. You have a system for life. My tip if going for a Sony ES amp, look at the spec and if you see ones with 90W/8ohm with 0.02-0.05 THD you have got a very robust amp. The Sony ES amps generally have a better headphone amp & phono stage than the 6550, but I'd not rule it out.
  6. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Right i've managed to pick up 2 Sony TA-N55ES power amps. My wife is already having a go at me and wondering why i need 2 power amps. With funds limited, i need a pre amp for under £100 second hand. It doesnt have to be Sony ES gear, any recommendations for a pre amp to be used with the TA-N55ES ? Future upgrades will include a DAC and some sort of digital player with digital outputs.
  7. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Beresford TC-7510 DAC, has manual pre-amp section (variable outputs + fixed) from Mk 6.3 onwards. No anlg sources but you are buying a DAC in future .....
  8. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That DAC seems to be well received. Any recommendations for a pre amp where i can connect other equipment and have tone and bass controls ? Or would some sort of equaliser work ?
  9. Van Dam

Van Dam Member

Ratings:
    +174
    May I ask where you bought from and how much you paid for both the amps?
  10. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1

I paid £200 for the pair from someone just outside Glasgow.
  11. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Gumtree if you want to travel can be excellent. I'd wager.
  12. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed, i nabbed them off Gumtree. However, i'm in London so arranged a courier to pick them up. Gumtree can be great for bargains. I missed out on a Sony TA-E1000ESD for £50 because i wasnt able pick it quickly enough.

Any thoughts on any pre amps guys ?

TIA
  13. NavSG

NavSG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Been researching digital sources and it seems many MP3 players or PMP do not support digital output. With my budget restricted as i want to invest in the best speakers i can afford, i've looked into docks for ipod. Seems the docks with digital outputs are quite pricey. However, i've found the Archos 705 80GB PMP which can be had second hand for £75 and a dock with spdif output for £25. Would this be a be a good source to feed into a DAC ?

This is the dock:
    Archos DVR Station Gen6 EU - Compatible with Archos 5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
  14. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2 Member

Ratings:
    +166
    I saw that sale and very nearly bought them to go with my existing 2 TA-N55ES amps :D