Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

Discussion in 'Sony Mobile Phones' started by RobM, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Dougal25

Dougal25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rang TMobile up the other day cos im due an upgrade, they told me they would have theArc in store by the middle of April. But when i went on there site, there is no news of them on phones coming soon!!!
    Anyone on the forum work for TMobile. If so, can you give me a heads up. Thanks.
  2. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I can understand any modern phone battery needing to be calibrated to achieve maximum performance, but surely turning off 3G unless it's needed defeats the point of smartphones just a bit?
  3. Richard

Richard Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    Very poor battery life here too.
  4. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    If your using the Facebook and Twitter widgets check to see time between updates, its probably set to 10/15mins at default and if so that's one reason batteries are going fast.....best changing it to an hour.....same with emails. You'll see an improvement straight away.

Also turn off automatic brightness adjustment and leave it around a quarter/third full....it's still plenty bright enough and it stops precious battery being drained on an unnecessarily bright screen.Another thing to think of is amount of homescreens being used and the amount of widgets. If you use alot of widgets that are always checking online then your battery is gonna drain quick, obviously.

All sounds very similar to early x10 users. Once the phone has been routed you will then be able to remove bloatware/system apps you don't want that are memory hogs and/or battery hogs and get an even better lifespan. Timescape is one such culprit.....very pretty but hammers the phone.

If any of you are considering Liveview then consider how that can and does affect the battery too.....awesome idea and works really well now the issues are ironed out just another battery drain as you need to have BT on all the time.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart Active Member

Ratings:
    +396
    Over at XDA people are reporting battery life settles down after 4 days or so average use?

Mine's no worse than any other recent smartphone I've owned - I've browsed the web loads today, been jumping in and out of forums on Tapatalk, Facebook and Twitter access, in and out of 3G areas while driving, connected to Bluetooth car kit for about 4 hours and made about 30 mins of BT connected calls. More calls while at home too.

In total, phone has been off charge for about 11 hours and I still have 32% left - thats pretty good imo considering its only on its 2nd charge.

Think it'll get better over the next few days as well - patience people :)

Oh and also - if you connect to the PC companion software you'll find there is a Firmware update now out to download (well there was on my sim free phone anyway).
  6. syko67

syko67 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    how low can it go????

£399.99 on gum mobile now... I almost pressed the button :rolleyes:
  7. silent ninja

silent ninja Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    I hate to sound shallow, but it needs to go on a diet. I'd want something a bit sleeker looking. I wouldn't rule it out though.
    I think 3.7" screen is perfect too but a 4" in a small body is great as well. I'm still surprised every time I see a DHD or HD2. They are massive.
  8. davidg1230

davidg1230 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,296
    I had the same feeling when I picked up an Arc at the weekend, seemed massive, almost too big? Weight is not really an issue for me and looking at the specs, the Neo is 126g and the Arc about 117g, not much difference other than is it's 'porkiness':p The Neo is 13mm thick
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. garymontague

garymontague Member

Ratings:
    +48
    A quick update. I have done a factory restore but I am still only getting 40-50mb free (only app installed is swype).

Can I ask those that have this phone what their free ram is. Is this the norm or do I have a rogue app/phone.

Thanks
  10. sonnyy

sonnyy Member

Ratings:
    +8
    268mb free on mine
  11. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I see where you're coming from however as you will probably find if you use it like me, most of the time the phone is in your pocket and more often than not you are within coverage from a Wifi network - home & work and only on a few occasions do you actually use the phone on the internet through the 3G networks. Hence turning this off does save a huge amount of battery life and yes, such things as emails, Facebook etc.. will not automatically update but I think you can get apps which turn on your 3G connection for you at certain times so these apps stay up to date?

I personally think it's abit like having a built in Satnav in your car, more often than not you know where you're going and don't need it switched on but when you do need it you simply turn it on and it's great.

It takes a matter of seconds for the 3G to turn on anyway and for the increase in battery life it brings a few seconds isn't much really is it?
  12. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,527
    If you buy one of these from say Carphone Warehouse does it come with any branding like if you buy it from Vodafone / o2 and such
  13. Idioteque

Idioteque Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Vodafone don't have a clue when/if they will get stock?! Madness. I was told by the end of the week, but that looks slim now.
  14. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart Active Member

Ratings:
    +396
    With regards to low ram I have 142mb free on mine at the moment although that with several widgets and apps running.

Not experiencing any slow down at all - phone is just as smooth/quick as any Android I've used inc those with custom Rom/Kernel :)
  15. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I agree completely with you. But it depends on your circumstances and usage really as to how you use it - for me, I pay for a data bundle on top as my tariff doesn't have one included. After having a Nokia 5800 which I barely used for the web or email I then went to a Desire, which I tried to run as you say by just turning on 3G when needed, partly to preserve battery and partly because I wasn't sure about how much data I'd be using and didn't want to go over my allowance. I'd stopped doing that after a few days though as I found it took adage to reconnect when I needed 3G. Since then, having gone through an Omnia 7 and now on an iPhone 4, I just leave it on all the time except for when I'm at home or at friends where it switches to wifi. I wouldn't describe my web usage as heavy, but I've yet to go close to nearing my allowance limit.

What we really need are smartphones that will know a few minutes before we want to go online and switch on 3G automatically ;) Oh, and that can manage battery life better too! :)
  16. nicktrex

nicktrex Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I completely understand what you say yes and oddly enough there is an App called Tasker which is rather good in that you can set a huge variety of things such as: Open the Maps app and it automatically turns on your GPS, open an internet app and it automatically turns on Wifi or 3G etc... Which can come in handy.
  17. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    :thumbsup:

Now I just need to learn to like Android! :smashin:
  18. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    No speed or RAM issues here. Still nice and fast, though the Timescape widget can slow things up sometimes.

Battery life isn't a problem so don't let fears stop you buying the Arc for the Neo. Moderate use can still give you a day and a half of usage with ease.
  19. Deepus

Deepus Member

Ratings:
    +34
    No, no branding at all if purchased from CPW etc.
  20. Idioteque

Idioteque Member

Ratings:
    +21
    If anyones thinking of ordering through Vodafone, at the moment, I'd advise against it.

Their latest reply:

The original quote was
    Yet they are quite happy to take my money from me!
  21. Richard

Richard Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    Anybody with T Mobile?

Tried to back up my contacts on their website but says the phone is not compatable with that.

:(
  22. sonnyy

sonnyy Member

Ratings:
    +8
    yes i am with tmobile , i will have to try that.
    when i got mine phone wasn't on their site perhaps thats why.

just used pc companion to upgrade all seems the same , but battery life seems to be improving , probably coincidense.
  23. Richard

Richard Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    It's on the site now but still no joy with backing up contacts.
  24. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,527
    How long you think before prices start to drop ?
  25. Lexic

Lexic Member

Ratings:
    +5
  26. Lexic

Lexic Member

Ratings:
    +5
    ..thinking about it do you think I have grounds for a refund on my bill if I have paid for an upgraded phone that I haven't received?
  27. Idioteque

Idioteque Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I'm in the same boat as you mate. Heres hoping that one of the guys said on the forum that they should recieve them by Monday and ship orders out tuesday/wednesday. Fingers crossed!
  28. syko67

syko67 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Well...I pressed the gum mobile button and am looking forward to my new phone arriving Monday...hopefully :thumbsup:

Whats everyone using for protection?? I'm looking at getting the InvisiShield again..worked well on my Satio-must find somewhere to trade it in now too.

cheers

Gaz
  29. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Look for an app called 3G watchdog, it will keep track of how much data you use and disable your phone's data connection whenever you near/reach your limit. Has a handy widget and taskbar icon giving info too :smashin:
  30. andy1000

andy1000 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I had it when I had an Android phone...now gone over to iOS which I much prefer! :)