1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

Discussion in 'Sony Mobile Phones' started by RobM, Jan 24, 2011.

1. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    I think the only way of answering that, is to get your hands on both. It will come down to 'feel' and personal preference, I don't think one can really be justified over the other.
  2. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Funny enough I'll be doing just that. I'm a VIP test lab guest to their launch event in London on 31 March. SO i'll be getting a good gander at all 4 of their new phones incoming. Though I'm not too fussed about the Play and the Pro will be too late as I'll be getting a free handset there and then (hence my decision of Arc vs Neo) I will give them a good test though and post my thoughts here for AV's benefit.
  3. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Sounds cool - how did you go about becoming a tester?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Completely out of the blue. I'd been quite discussive on SE forums/Facebook etc looking at both sides of the story (i.e. not hate spamming like most other X10 users) and I just got emailed personally by SE. I jumped at the chance.

In fact check out SE's facebook page, they are currently looking to fill the last place position and over 300 people are giving their reasons why they should be chosen. Act fast and have a decent reason you might just get lucky! :p
  5. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Good for you mate. Can't complain, free phone for sharing your thoughts! If I were in your shoes and it wouldn't cost me a penny I'd definitely go for the arc (the size is near enough identical to your X10) and is much sleeker than the neo.
  6. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    It does certainly, but I was debating the necessity of a front facin camera for a while.........however I'm willing to let it slide compared to the ARC.
  7. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    A front facing camera seems to be made out a big deal these days, whereas it used to appear on nearly all the older phones I used to own. I know that software is much better nowadays but still I just can't see myself using it. Never did in the past, not even once.
  8. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. The only people I know who would have the capabilities currently are those who purchased an Iphone 4. And to be honest I'd rather just text or at best, just call them normally.

I fear the RAM on the Neo is a bit subpar as well, but then be aware that these figures are still subject to change and I've advised SE that higher is better given the competition it's facing.
  9. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    This will be my next phone but I want it in Misty Silver and it doesn't seem available anywhere sim-free? Anyone got any ideas?

I'm sick of black phones and the Misty Silver also uses matte plastic which won't get as many fingerprint marks compared to the glossy Midnight Blue colour!
  10. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Is that so? I must admit I'm getting annoyed with my white X10 because dirt/grime shows up really easily, so I wouldn't mind a darker phone for a change.

I quite like the Midnight Blue as a colour, though what you say about silver gives it a casting vote.
  11. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    The silver is nice, but loses some of the sex appeal the Arc otherwise has. Midnight Blue is what you want ;)

farmergiles65 - I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Arc, when you get your freebie. I've had a bit more hands on time recently and it really is a nice experience. I'm using a Google Nexus S at the moment which is really good, but the Arc just has something about it. I have changed my mind about buying one a little, as the sensible thing to do, for me at least, is sit tight and wait for the next iPhone and keep the Nexus S until then. But then, when has the sensible thing to do ever been fun...
  12. syko67

syko67 Member

Ratings:
    +111
    down to £430 on play.com now ;-)
  13. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I'll be sure to post something up. Providing I don't get too drunk that I forget it all! :p Nah should be a good event, though what I'm worried about is that there is a fair mix of people attending. By which I mean, people who never had the X10, people who had the X10 but like it for what it is and can manage without 2.2 so are keeping the faith (myself) and those so enraged with SE that ranting is all they can do to cope in life........cue some interesting debates!
  14. garymontague

garymontague Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm with you Rob. When is sensible fun?

I too have a phone addiction. Currently swapping between a jailbroken iPhone 4 and a Nexus S. I have pre-ordered the Arc in midnight blue and will possibly (read definitely) get the iPhone 5 when released.

Just don't tell the missus :devil:
  15. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Get some hands on, make notes, get drunk and head back into the crazed masses to tell them what you think :devil:
  16. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    No way, I’ve had some hands-on time with the Midnight Blue version and it seemed a bit boring tbh. After all, most phones are black. I haven’t seen the Misty Silver version in the flesh but it looks much nicer from the pictures (imo). Check out some side-by-side pics here.

Plus when I played with the Midnight Blue version , it was a fingerprint magnet thanks to its glossy underside (something that was never an issue with the black X10). The matte finish of the silver version is one of the main attractions! :thumbsup:
  17. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    After seeing that link, the silver is starting to win me over. It looks very shiny on the underside and your point about the fingerprints is a good one to make. Constantly cleaning a phone is aggravating. It's a shame though, the gradient blue is a nice effect.

And haha Rob, that would be interesting, a few ciders and then rush headlong into the non believers. I really can't wait for this event nor for my ARC. Hope I can actually specify a silver one.

I heard Iphone 4 was buggered at the moment due to an OS upgrade that sucked the battery life dry?
  18. syko67

syko67 Member

Ratings:
    +111
    silver does look nice...but would it end up with those little worn white patches you sometimes get??
  19. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Should have gone to Specsavers :thumbsup: :devil:

One of the things that SE can do very well is create variety so, hopefully, there is something for everyone. So you have Midnight Blue Arc's for those with exquisite taste and style and Silver for people who fancy Susan Boyle. Everyones a winner.
  20. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. garymontague

garymontague Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I went the other way. Originally fancied the silver but those pics swayed me to the midnight blue.
  22. farmergiles65

farmergiles65 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I admit the Midnight Blue is gorgeous, but the fingerprint thing will be a pain I know it! Hard to decide!!
  23. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    It's a tough decision. I'm now swaying back to the Midnight Blue as I'm not sure how long I plan to keep the phone for and am not sure whether many people will find the Misty Silver that attractive!
  24. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    We need a Mr.Burns 'Excellent' smiley :devil: :rotfl:

Being serious though, by the phone for you, not the next owner :) I'm sure a lot of people will want the silver and I'm sure just as many wont have a preference, so I wouldn't have thought resale value would suffer either way. It's not like it's bright pink...
  25. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I don't know, I quite fancy the arc in pink. :p

I've pre-ordered the Midnight Blue version as I got a good deal on it (£390 delivered). Also got the PLAY on pre-order mainly because I'm intrigued more than anything.
  26. syko67

syko67 Member

Ratings:
    +111

if you dont mind importing I believe its available in pink from Japan :rotfl: .. £390 from?? :thumbsup:
  27. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    buymobiles.net had it for that price yesterday (see tweet). However, the price has now gone back up to £420, in line with most other retailers. Clove has it for £408 though, although you have to pay extra for delivery.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
  29. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
  30. Deepus

Deepus Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Do you guys reckon that the networks will add their **** to the phone, or will it be treated like an i-phone and left alone?? I'm guessing the networks will add their ****....