Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DG510 HDMI Problems

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by yegor, Jun 25, 2007.

1. yegor

yegor Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hooked up the Xbox 360 via the HDMI connector (DVD), but for some reason it doesnt take the sound and feed it to the 6 speakers connected to the receiver.... instead is just outputs it via HDMI out to the TV (audio and video). So it just passes through the recever, same as me running the cable from the xbox to the TV. In the sound input, it says COAX, so Im guessing I have to run a coax cable in parallel to HDMI to get the sound out to the 6 speakers? That kinda defeats the point of HDMI, since it carries audio and video signals. Same story with Video2 input (2nd HDMI port), only instead of COAX, it has OPTICAL selected, but the xbox doesn't have an optical output.

Can anyone suggest some good HT receivers that can take the HDMI connection and output the audio to all the speakers, and the video out to the TV?

Also, do any HT receivers support outputting EVERYTHING via HDMI? For example, I connect the cable box via component, PC via HDMI, Xbox via HDMI, and DVD player via s-video, but have it output all of those signals via the HDMI out port?
  2. Timmo44

Timmo44 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have the same problem and it is driving me mental. I got this 510 to act as a switcher as the TV only has one HDMI in.

So I've got Sky HD through Video2 HDMI and Video 2 optical (I believe the SkyHD box doesn't output the digital audio down the HDMI.) as the HDMI and optical inputs are paired.

I then want to connect the PS3 via the second HDMI. However like you, it doesn't pick up the 5.1, DTS etc from the HDMI. The problem is, like you say, the 'DVD' HDMI input is paired to the COAX digital audio input and the PS3 doesn't have COAX digital audio out.

Surely the receiver can take the digital audio from the HDMI lead. I've emailed Sony for an answer. [note the manual that came with the 510 is hopelessly short and vague.] I can't believe Sony haven't considered the PS3 when designing this amp - they're both Sony products ***! Anyone got any suggestions?
  3. SParker

SParker Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I believe this is correct for the DG510. It only passes the HDMI signal through rather than doing anything with it. You will also need to run an optical from the back of the Xbox to the receiver to get sound. (The optical is on the connector plugged into the back).
  4. rEVILospud

rEVILospud Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    SParker is correct, it is only a switch and doesn't process audio in any way through HDMI.
    You need a minimum of the 910 to get the feature you are asking for.
  5. haywardw

haywardw Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gentlemen the 510 doen't pass audio via HDMI only Video, you must use digtial coxial or dig audio and then you must assign that to the HDMI/unit you are using. I had a 510 and now have the 810 beacuse of this.:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Timmo44

Timmo44 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    My god is Sony employing children to design these things? If the HDMI just passes through it should be a separate selector between the two HDMI outs. The audio processing should be kept totally separate. What a waste of cash that was.
  7. rEVILospud

rEVILospud Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    I don't know what you were expecting from the cheapest product in the entry level range, but full HDMI features which accept PCM audio from HD sources doesn't come cheap.
    The soon to be available Sony STR-DG910 is the cheapest AV Receiver of any make to feature this and that will be not far short of £300 (more in store obviously).

Many people fell into the same trap with the ES range, buying the Sony STR-DA1200ES, to then find out it also featured just an HDMI switch.

To be fair to Sony, it does list the features of these AV Receivers on it's website and although sometimes they can be a bit out; they do not claim such major features when they are not present.

There are quite a few Sony AV Receivers built with PCM over HDMI in mind, STR-DG910, STR-DA3200ES and STR-DA5200ES.
  8. Timmo44

Timmo44 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    The thing is, I don't want all the fabulous features the higher range ones have. I just want Dolby Digital/DTS and HDMI switching. ie I just want to switch between my SkyHD and PS3 AND still use the receiver for surround sound.

I accept that the 510 doesn't process the audio through the HDMI but I cannot accept that each HDMI is rigidly assigned to one optical and one COAX respectively. As the HDMI section of the 510 has nothing to do with the audio function of it, keep it separate - it's obvious.

Sony have basically created a product that is no use to folks with two HDMI sources that only have optical outputs (SkyHD, X-Box360, PS3 - and I'm pretty sure that covers 90% of everything in the UK) And you'd have to search long and hard to find info which tells you about the COAX only on one of the HDMI inputs.

Anyone want to buy a two week old STR-DG510B - excellent as a doorstop or paperweight?
  9. rEVILospud

rEVILospud Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    I see, I get where you're coming from now.
    Indeed it is a very strange situation.

I assume the part in the specs sheet referring to this is; "Assignable HDMI Video IN : NO"
    But you wouldn't really know what that meant if you didn't already have that Amp or a very similar model.

It might be worth noting that both the STR-DG710 and STR-DG910 also state that they are unable to do this. So future purchasers beware!

I know you shouldn't have to buy it, but this gadget will allow you to convert Optical to Co-axial, so that it more fits your needs.
  10. Timmo44

Timmo44 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Yes I saw these in Maplin but it's another transformer plug running 24/7 under the TV. Believe me, there's enough heat generated under there already without this little box too!

Also, being middle-aged and naive, there's a nagging doubt that something like this will cause a hum in the sound somewhere along the line.

I've just been looking at the STR-DG710 manual off the Sony.com site and it says:

"A digital audio signal transmitted by HDMI can be output from the speakers on this receiver. This signal supports Dolby Digital, DTS and linear PCM"

So it look like I went in one model too low!
  11. briannufc

briannufc Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i was thinking about getting this amp and wondering if the same problems would apply to myself i have 2 hdmi ports on my tv so could i run my hdmi cable from sky hd direct to the tv and run a optical from sky to the single optical on the 510. then would i still have problems setting up the xbox to output 5.1, as you can probably tell im not to upto scratch with all this, any help much appreciated though
  12. chic

chic Active Member

Ratings:
    +896

i think this amp only as to digital inputs one optical and one coaxial, with your set up you have 2 devices with optical outputs sky and the 360, you could runthe optical from sky to the optical input on the amp and as the poster above sugests you can buy an optical to coax convertor to allow you to plug the 360 optical into the amps caox input can be got http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/Optical-to-Coaxial-Converter.html from there.
  13. briannufc

briannufc Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive checked and this amp has 2 optical inputs and 1 coax input
    so would there be a problemsending the sky hd video feed direct to tv and same with the xbox component video and then use a optical from sky to the receiver and same with xbox, then run a dvd player video straight to the tv via hdmi as my tv has 2 HDMI ports, then run a coax cable to the remailng coax input??? Cheers
  14. chic

chic Active Member

Ratings:
    +896
    seems ok
  15. briannufc

briannufc Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone else confirm that this would defiently work on this receiver before i go and buy the dg510. Cheers
  16. bluzman

bluzman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That will work. I believe that the following will also work. It has one less connection to the HDTV and allows switching between HDMI sources to be done just with 510. My $0.02...:)

xbox >> component >> 510 (SAT IN COMPONENT)
    xbox >> optical >> 510 (SAT IN OPTICAL)
    510 (MONITOR OUT) >> component >> HDTV (COMPONENT IN)
    sky >> HDMI >> 510 (VIDEO 2/BD IN HDMI)
    sky >> optical >> 510 (VIDEO 2/BD OPTICAL)
    dvd >> HDMI >> 510 (DVD IN HDMI)
    dvd >> coax >> 510 (DVD IN COAX)
    510 (HDMI OUT) >> HDMI >> HDTV (HDMI IN)
  17. bluzman

bluzman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Quite right but at least for all besides the 510 in the STR-DGx10 range, digital audio is assignable and audio received via HDMI at the AVR is processed by the AVR and sent to the speakers.
  18. monstaracerr

monstaracerr Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinkin about getting this?
    do i need to have hdmi plugged in to have the audio running off the optical? or can i just plug hdmi into my tv, and have audio coming from my ps3 via digital optical?

simple question, you guys complicated this!!! i'm confused!

thanks
  19. Mw35

Mw35 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question about connecting the HDMI to a Sony STR-DG510 receiver. I am using a DIRECTV HR-20 connected with HDMI on video 2 and optical cable for sound. I get sound but in picture connected this way. When I moved the hdmi cable to DVD port on the receiver I am able to get picture but no sound. When I use the component cable to connect the HR-20 I am able to get both picture and sound.
    Does anyone know a way I can use the HDMI on this receiver? :lease: