Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Continuous Play

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by Boson, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kingbal

kingbal Member

Ratings:
    +55
    That's quite strange ash, mine came in a polythene bag and it was like brand new with sticky plastic covers over it. No finger marks scratches or chips anywhere.
  2. dkainer

dkainer Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Did they ask/ tell you to remove your original HDD before they collected your faulty PS3?
    And if so, I assume it's just a case of putting your old HDD into the refurbished PS3...
  3. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    no they ask you to put your original HDD in the ps3 that you are giving them, i dont know what they would do if you sent without or a different HDD. even if you put your old HDD into the replacement it would ask to format the HDD in which case you would loose you game data.

@kingbal

mine came in the bag aswell, also had the sticky plastic across the on/off and eject sensor etc. but there were still a few finger marks on it, i guess its just that some people looked after theirs better than others. whoever is going to get mine is going to think they got a new one like you.

still better than nothing.
  4. sexievodka

sexievodka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Heya guys :hiya:

Just found this forum looking for reviews on Continuous Play.

Rent out Little Big Planet and went to play it this morning and nothing.... Ps3 still seems to play ps2 disc and normal dvds but wont even adknowledge and ps3 disc or Blue-Rays dvds!!! :mad: So i looked on the net and found others having the same problem. So i phoned sony and they told me id have to pay £140!!!! And found some people saying that its not even including VAT?!?!:eek:

Then i found a link to the Continuous Play thing. So Ive signed up. Waiting on them taking the money out my account and a email, (noticed others saying they didnt get emails:rolleyes:??)

Am worried because :
    1. I was on the phone to sony about 5 mins before I signed up to Continuous Play. Will they know??

2. My console is an 80gb and I dont want them to send me 60gb,
    I spent the extra money for the 80gb one I dont want to downgrade!

3. Is it possible to i dunno, keep my own ps3 or any of the saved data
    in it, because am amazing at Singstar and I dont want to lost all my
    highscore. (suspose its ok if I lose them if I get my ps3 fixed.)
  5. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    you dont need to wait to the confirmation email, you can phone them up to get your policy number, just make sure you call domestic and general and not sony to get that. you probably wont get an email anyway but you will get a letter in a few days.

they may know that you signed up after your 1st call was logged you will just have to hope they dont. the only way around is to call domestic and general when claiming rather than sony careline, but that way you can only replace you ps3, where as you want a repair right?

as your ps3 is still working without a blu ray, you can just back up your data on usb just incase, so you can keep your singstar data.

if you want a repair then your going to have to press sony to do it, normally they dont but they can.
    and any replacement will be like for like so you wouldnt get a 60gb instread of an 80gb.

hope that helps
  6. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,014
    I would be inclined to push Sony a bit more, presuming it is a Uk console (they would be able to tell), the 80gb console has been out for less than a year, and thus must be within warranty;)
  7. terry.smith

terry.smith Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i signed up to this on wednesday, didnt recieve any confirmation letters or emails, so i phoned up today told them my console is faulty. they said they can repair it but it could take up to 21days but i i said i would rather get it replaced, so on wednesday they will take my faulty 60gb and leave me a 80gb.result!:thumbsup:
  8. Workshed

Workshed Member

Ratings:
    +149
    If you can play PS2 games you have a 60Gb not an 80Gb, careful you dont get it replaced with the wrong one ;)
  9. timus

timus Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I signed up last week, still havent recieved any confirmation email or anything in the post is that normal?
  10. terry.smith

terry.smith Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i didnt recieve anything aswell, i just phoned up and made sure that i was on their system.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  11. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    guys just had my 60gb replaced today with an 80gb, i dont play ps2 games and they said it would take 2 weeks to get a 60gb replacement anyway. so i opted for an 80gb.

not good new though...turned on and it made a loud fan noise which i was waiting to quieten down after 2 seconds...but it didnt.
    i set everything up in settings and network etc when i went to turn it off i heard a loud clunking sound from the console as the green light turns red.

cant believe this, so i called sony and told them they offered another swap tomorrow but i asked for a new 1 as i have had so many faulty ps3's now.
    just going to await a supervisor to call back, not really expecting a great deal as he already came back to me earlier saying that the t&c state i will be issued a remanufactured model.

il let you know what happens.
  12. terry.smith

terry.smith Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i just recieved my 80gb today and it was brand new (looks like it) there was no scratches, it smelt brand new.lol,so i am very happy!
  13. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    what model did you get mate, mine was a CECHL was loud aswell

is yours noisy at all?

mine looks brand new aswell, perfect condition but still not without problems.
  14. terry.smith

terry.smith Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i got CECHL aswell but my one is silent.
  15. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Still waiting for my confirmation letter. Tried phoning and they confirmed I am on their system but said letter would take 2 weeks and they wouldn't give any details out. Coincidentley I took out Continuous Play on the 23rd as my console was 2 years old that day and the fan had been getting a bit louder. The very next day it broke with the yellow light!

Wish I'd got round to backing it up as I've lost all my game saves. I see that some saves are locked, so I suppose I would have lost some like RE5 anyway. With this in mind, I just want a reliable console so I'm thinking I should take an 80gb instead of waiting for a 60gb. The 60's will all be around 2 years old now so have more chance of going wrong.

My game disc is stuck in the console. It says in the t&c's that discs aren't covered by the policy? Should I send it off with the disc in and hope for the best, or attempt to open it up and remove it myself (I've watched the Youtube video!). Does it matter if I break the warranty sticker as it's not under warranty anyway?
  16. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    hello mate,

the warranty sticker doesnt matter, as i sent 1 in without and i havent heard anything back. but you wont need to open it up, if you call sony to get a replacement, then give them your continuous play policy number after they tell you its going to cost £150. they will remove the game for you or replace it, i didnt have a game in mine but the guy asked me if there was, i asked if they would have replaced it and he said yes.

im getting an 80gb for the same reason you mentioned, any 60gb refurbs are going to be 2 years old so more than likely to develop another problem.

i have to say sony customer service has been great, unfortunately the reason we have to call them stinks but they are really helpful...im sure theres someone who disagrees with that though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    update:

just received the call back from sony, and they offered me a brand new 80gb, as iv had to have my original 60gb replaced 3 times now. so thumbs up to sony. hopefully no more drama.
  18. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks Ash888.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the policy to come through. I tried checking my bank account, but D&G said the first payment will come out in May :confused:

Luckily I'm not in too much of a hurry, I've got a spare one to use :smashin:
  19. med360

med360 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My 60gb stopped reading disks on the weekend, i signed up online on monday, then rang yesterday, and they gave me the policy number over the phone and arranged a swap (start of april)... then i reformatted (the 4hr one) as the guy suggested it and it fixed the issue, so have cancelled the pickup/policy for now!
  20. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Who did you ring - Sony careline or the D&G Continuous Play number?
  21. med360

med360 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    it was the sony careline on 08705 99 88 77, found them to be very helpful.

Meds
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    your ps3 stopped reading disc's and a reformat sorted it?
  23. fredmcbob

fredmcbob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys, great thread.

I have a 60gb and it stopped reading disks. I signed up to continuous play today and no signs of a confirmation email so far, but that seems common.

How long do you think I should wait before contacting them about the problem?

Also, random question but what does the replacement come in (usual ps3 box, plain box etc)?

Thanks in advance.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Well, gave Sony a call and they looked up my Continuous Play details and said thats fine, they can swap the console. I said I'd accept an 80gb, but was told they can only do like-for-like so I'd have to wait for a 60gb. Saying that, it's being swapped on Monday so hardly a long wait. I'd rather have had a newer 80gb though, I really don't want to keep having to play Resident Evil over and over every time I lose my save!

I mentioned the game stuck in it, and asked if I could take the console apart to retrieve it. They said although its not recommended, they are happy for me to give it a go. The warranty sticker doesnt matter as its not under warranty anyway. If I can't get it out, they will attempt to and return it to me within 6 weeks.

Great service :clap:
  25. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I waited 3 days, but you can ring up sooner. Give it a day to make sure you get on the system.

The PS3 will come unboxed - the courier will have a box/crate to hold the PS3 and will just swap them over.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Ash888

Ash888 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    its up to you how long you want to wait for, i have both my ps3's covered, 1 of them i called 1 day after registration and they replaced it next day. the other one i left it 2 weeks as i was also in contact with game about it.

the replacement will come in a plastic container i had a pink one. with the courier, the console will be on its own inside the foam so it is secure. the box is sealed with cabled ties which the courier has to cut infront of you, and then takes yours back in the same container.
  27. craig3975

craig3975 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, signed up with CP last friday and had nothing back yet. Which number do I ring to arrange a replacment?

cheers all
  28. med360

med360 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I did a format and a restore factory settings and it worked a treat.

The issue I had was the DVDs were registering but not playing and the blu rays (games and movies) weren't registering. I thought it was a definate hardware failure but wanted to try the full format before it was replaced.
  29. med360

med360 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try a full format, it worked for me, and ifit doesn't it will at least wipe yourhard drive before the replacement comes!
  30. SteveG

SteveG Member

Ratings:
    +89
    The one that med360 posted - 08705 99 88 77