1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia USB playback supported video resolutions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DaveDunc, Jun 18, 2010.

1. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum,

I have just got the newish Sony KV32EX301 which has support for playback of video files on USB devices. It works well and I've been using it already on a 500GB external HDD. Now the problem I have is which resolutions are supported, there's nothing mentioned in the i-manual so I was hoping someone out there would have more idea than me. It seems to be the horizontal rather than vertical dimension that is significant and I've only got it to play files that are 640 by whatever.

Thanks in advance
  2. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Clearly either nobody knows, or you're all too elitist to answer my stupid question. Maybe it's because I got the tv model number wrong. Thanks anyway
  3. trickyharris

trickyharris Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I dont know for sure, however, i'd imaging it should be able to play 1920x1080.

If you go to the sony site and the page of your model under (spec) 'usb>video' it will state which file types are supported.
    I guess that divx is, so i'd suggest downloading divx on your computer as this has a converter, then convert one of your files and upscale it to 720p/1080p and see what happens..
  4. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I will have to just try a few different resolutions and see what happens. I was hoping not to have to as it can be a little protracted converting then copying each type. Thanks anyway
  5. mswimfish

mswimfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mine wont play 1280 x 532 divx or mpeg4 films - going to try some different resolutions tonight

mike
  6. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

I wonder if it will need 1366 x whatever or 1920 x whatever to match the horizontal resolutions of the standard TV or Blu Ray sources. I've not been able to upscale to either yet though I have iTunes protected HD TV files I could use if only I could convert the buggers.

David
  7. mswimfish

mswimfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    went and bought a bdp-s370 last night and seems to play everything i throw at it from the disc and the mobile usb, i know this dosnt help you but its an option if you want a bluray

atb mike
  8. trickyharris

trickyharris Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try using divx player to convert and upscale. Free download/player

DivX Plus Software
  9. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Philips have a very similar player that is picky (really sloppy software) about the video resolution only HD MP4 content exactly 1280x720 or 1920x1080 will play. Anything in between it generally refuses to play.

Try this download Handbrake & install it.

* Click Source-Video (point it at any video)
    * Click Preset\Regular->Normal
    * Select container as MP4 (note make sure the file extension is MP4 and not M4V which Handbrake likes to change it to)
    * On picture tab where is says anamorphic change it to none
    * In same area untick the box for keep aspect ratio
    * Resize the video to one of the above resolutions

Click start and see if the end result video plays. Of course this is not an ideal solution as your breaking the aspect ratio of the videos.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. jazz

jazz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried all sorts of converters,,,but there is simply nothing dat would allow me to play movies on my series V sony hd tv through usb, Please help as i am frustrated. Nothing that i convert gets played on my tv. whatever resolution i keep or software i use its simply not working.

JAZZ
  11. diantalvic

diantalvic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    got the same prob with my kdl32ex301.

Its a 720p and wont play 720p files, even tried to downscale the resolution, got down to 900x600 and still wouldnt work. Trying to convert to standard resolution now which is about 640x520 to see if that works. Bit stupid that the resolution of the tele is 1368x766 yet it errors up with resolution not supported on files that have this resolution
  12. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found a couple of traps when converting files. Obviously the TV will only recognize .AVI or .MP4 files so make sure you are converting to them. The other thing was not to use the high quality two pass conversions, at least not to .AVI I admit I haven't tried the .MP4 that way yet. Use single pass conversion, I haven't yet found what the limits are for resolution though a chap at a local Sony Centre assured me that it wouldn't play higher res files. I'm not sure if this can be trusted, he also said they don't play .MP4 files at all.
  13. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Member

Ratings:
    +685
    As I said in response to a thread started by diantalvic, it's very unlikely that you will get HD DivX videos to play back through the TV. 720x576 is the standard resolution for (PAL) DVD, and this is the maximum resolution supported for DivX video files on my standalone Sony DVD player. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same for this TV.

The simple matter is, TVs aren't designed to be media players. The USB playback functionality (in my opionion) is just something extra added by manufacturers to pad out the features list. So when some poor soul that doesn't know much about TVs walks into a shop looking for one, they drop their cash on one with the most 'features' thinking they've gotten good value for their money.

Anyway, everytime you re-convert a video you lose quality, especially if you're downscaling them from HD to SD. To be honest, if you guys are serious about media playback functionality I'd stop wasting time and invest in a proper media player that can handle your files as is.
  14. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly I think there's a lot of truth in what StevieBuck says. Though of course since we are talking about the bottom of Sony's range here clearly money is not exactly overflowing and a decent media player is likely to cost a fair proportion of what the TV did. For me it's a matter of expediency and getting a way of watching files that I have already converted for iPod without too much more expenditure.

On the other hand recommendations for media players would be welcome.
  15. diantalvic

diantalvic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well the tele was free so didnt have much choice ;)

managed to get a file to work after converting but was just standard res
  16. rancidswan

rancidswan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I asked the very same question via the Sony support website, here's the full unedited answer

---

Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 11/10/2010 01.00 PM.

I am pleased to learn that you own a Sony KDL-32EX301, I am however sorry to read of the difficulty you have encountered.

In order to play video from a USB storage device you will need to use the following :

1. MPEG 1 format at a resolution of 320x240 or 640x480
    2. MP4 (AVC/H.264) at a resolution of 640X480 at 30fps 3Mbps .mp4
    3. DivX (DivX Home Theater 3.0 (720X576)) file extension .avi

I trust that this information will be of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely

Blah blah blah
  17. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, more than I have ever got out of the support people at Sony. I'll stick to using the DivX as that gives the best resolution. Thanks for forwarding that.
  18. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Its much the same for all this years model Bravia. You can use software like Mezzmo below to share files over the network (does then EX301 have a network port?) and it will transcode (covert) on the fly to a format the set can play.

Mezzmo - The Ultimate DLNA Home Entertainment Software

Or if no network connection a box like Western Digital TV Live or Asus O!play will play most formats, up to 1080p over the network, USB device etc and connect via HDMI to your set. Prices are about £80-100.
  19. ddaddy

ddaddy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi DaveDunc,
    Did you find any more support for other resolutions?
    I've just got a 40ex503 and it's such a shame if I can't play any 720p or 1080p files from hard drive.
  20. DaveDunc

DaveDunc Member

Ratings:
    +0

Only to confirm what Rancidswan wrote earlier, and the recommendation that using divx gives the best balance of resolution and file size
  21. ddaddy

ddaddy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I found out last night that it'll play .m2ts files in HD res.
    The HD files from here play fine:
    DTS THX Dolby WMV Movie Distributor VOB Trailers
    Anything with DTS audio is a no no.

I'm having trouble find a converter to make the .m2ts files though.
  22. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL32EX403, been very impressed with it except it's inability to play MPG files that I've made from Satellite recordings.

I;ve spent some time trying to play them, and found similar frustration across the net. They are standard MPEG files, that I can make DVDs from with little conversion.

Anyhow, I've found a way to do it - you need to remux your MPEG files to M2TS. This doesn't involve converting the file - there's no quality loss or change in resolution, and it plays fine on my Sony Bravia.

The program you need is tsMuxeR 1.10.6, which is freeware and available from this link : SmartLabs - SmartLabs tsMuxeR (download links on right hand side of the page)

Unzip, put the program in a folder (it doesn't install), run the tsMuxeR GUI program and drop an MPEG file onto it. Click the "M2TS muxing" dot near the bottom, choose the output folder and filename, and click "start muxing". In a short time you'll have an M2TS file you can copy to your USB drive and play on your SONY Bravia :thumbsup:

Using this program I can play standard MPEG SD recordings with a resolution of 720x576 (from DVB-S satellite receiver) and they look very nice indeed. :clap:

If you use a program such as MediaInfo, and compare the source MPEG and the M2TS file output from tsMuxeR, you'll see that inside, nothing has changed - same resolution and MPEG encoding - it's just been remuxed into a format the Sony is happy with.

Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  23. Dalek Zek

Dalek Zek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I resently bought the Sony Bravia (KDL-32EX403) :) but I'm unable to play the AVCHD (.m2ts extension) Video format. What makes it annoying is the video I'm trying to watch was recorded via Sony's Play TV attached to my PS3 then copied to a 2Gb USB Stick/Flash Drive, you would have thought that the Bravia would be able to show videos recorded from it's own branded products :facepalm:.

I'm in the process of converting the .m2ts file to a DivX file to see if I have any joy, I also tried an .mp4 video but had no joy with that either even when the videos files were in the root directory of the USB Stick/Flash Drive or in the following folder structures:

/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM/00000.MTS
    /PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM/00000.MTS
    /MP_ROOT/100ANV01/MAHA0001.MP4

as stated in the i-Manual.
  24. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
  25. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What's relevant, I think, is what is inside the .m2ts container file. In my case, my source MPEG files are MPEG level II video and MPEG level I audio. The fact that this is very very standard DVD, digital terrestrial and digital satellite format is one that puzzles me as to why the Bravia won't play it unless I wrap it in a .m2ts format.

Its similar to a small child who won't eat their dinner because it came out of a Tesco Value box, so you take the meal, wrap it in a Heinz box and the child enjoys it :) Makes no sense logically.

Your problem may be what's inside your source .m2ts files - what does mediainfo say about it? MediaInfo

My goal here is to avoid having to re-encode video, as there's always a loss in quality.

Hope you get somewhere with your PS3 PlayTV .m2ts!
  26. Dalek Zek

Dalek Zek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the MediaInfo link after downloading and installing it gave the followig information for the .m2ts file in question:

Video
    ID : 600 (0x258)
    Menu ID : 4172 (0x104C)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID : 2
    Duration : 1h 3mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 338 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    ActiveFormatDescription : Letterbox 16:9 image, with alternative 14:9 center
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.322
    Stream size : 1.48 GiB (88%)

Audio
    ID : 601 (0x259)
    Menu ID : 4172 (0x104C)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Codec ID : 3
    Duration : 1h 3mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -552ms
    Stream size : 117 MiB (7%)

So the PS3 saves the .m2ts file as a MPEG level II video and MPEG level I audio, The file which I converted to DivX was originaly a MPEG II file with MPEG level I audio, so there is a common link between the two formats but does not explain why one format will work and the other will not and why the one that works does not work on every Bravia TV :(. The MPEG II file converted to DivX has MPEG 4 video with MPEG level I audio, but straight MPEG 4 videos I tried did not work either. So much for the recomended formats mentioned in the i-Manual. Could the problem lay with what codec the convertion software uses?

What Sony need to do is ( :lease: ) produce conversion software that will convert every kind of video format to the correct format and spec that will work on a Bravia TV rather than going round the houses using different convertion programs to hopfuly get a video that will work. All I can say is bring back VCR's ;)
  27. ddaddy

ddaddy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I use Xvid4Psp to convert .mkv files to .m2ts and Avidemux to convert .avi to .avi files that'll actually play.

In both cases I set the video to just copy, yet convert the Audio to ac3.

In Avidemux with an .avi file, it'll sometimes tell me its a packed bitstream which you should let it unpack, then choose the standard .avi output and not the avi pack, avi unpack options.

I've got 99% of files to play this way.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Member

Ratings:
    +2
    As an interested non-expert, your original .m2ts seems to be standard MPEG. But one that won't play on the Bravia. This is the problem I had, although my files were actual MPEGs. That wouldn't play on the Bravia!

Given the success I've had with tsMuxeR, I think it'd be worth downloading that software from here SmartLabs - SmartLabs tsMuxeR and dropping your original .m2ts file onto it. Click the dot to select .m2ts as the output, and see if the output file will play (I think the software adds "_new" to the filename as it processes it).

Having just tried it, even if you give it a .m2ts file as input and ask for .m2ts as output, it does process it regardless.

Worth a try.

Ddaddy : I'm interested in your solution, I'll have a look at avidemux (I've heard of it, never used it) and see what it can do for me :)
  29. rnkibvard

rnkibvard Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have testest both packed and unpacked bitsreams on xvid encoded videos and it plays both fiine. I remember older DVD players had problems playing packed bitstream.
  30. PTBARNSLEY

PTBARNSLEY Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Been really struggling to get the USB stick to work with various video formats however I have found a bit of a long winded way round it.

If you convert your files to MT2S files, use the x264 video codec and aac Codec then they should work. Tried a few and they work perfectly in all resolutions.

You can use the free software below.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/a...erter-free.exe

It's fairly straight forward to use, hope this helps some of you as I found it a real pain to get any other file format to work especially in HD.

Update - Converted 10 video's now from various formats and all have worked.