Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia TV internet connection problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Skykid, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Skykid

Skykid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We've had a Bravia 40EX503 for a couple of months and have one ongoing problem: trying to watch anything via the internet gives us the message: Loading, please wait

We get bursts of 5 secs - 30 secs of programme content, and YouTube slightly better, but useless for anything else.

We had good contact with Sony getting hooked up to Lovefilm (same problem now with Loading), but that contact has disappeared, and totally zero response to our requests for help.

We have a home/office network, 7Mb broadband with BT, and have tried variations on the ethernet connection, including direct to the router via cable. Identical problem with the BlueRay player BDP-S370 and BBC iPlayer or any internet content.

Any suggestions?

Another problem is selections via the remote sometimes need 4 or more attempts to get a result (channel change, viewing devices connected, selecting internet).
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Have you updated your tv to the latest firmware from Sony webpage ?

You running wired to your router ?

When you get these problems have you run a speedtest for a PC to e.g speedtest.net ?

Does the same contect play ok from a computer at the same times ?
  3. Nellster

Nellster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Meybe have a look at your router logs to see if there is an indication of the issue reported there.
  4. nehalem

nehalem Member

Ratings:
    +105
    So assuming there isn't a problem with the content ( as no-one else is reporting these issues) then the issue is confined to your local network and devices somehow.

To see this same issue on both TV and Blu-ray is strange as the architecture is different, and the one constant between the two is again your network, so to me it seems like the problem is there somehow.

Seems like the devices aren't getting enough bandwidth and struggling to buffer enough content. How fast is your actual connection and are you running other downloading services simultaneously??
  5. Skykid

Skykid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys.

Yes, cable connection direct to our BT router (home/office network). I'm not downloading content simultaneously but uploading to online backup services - would that make a difference?

I assumed our network was around 6Mb, but double-checking with SpeedTest it's way down - around 1.5Mb or less.

BT TechSupport are working on it.

Will report back.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. nehalem

nehalem Member

Ratings:
    +105
    FYI - 1.5mb is about the minimum that BRAVIA internet Video needs, so I think this could be the cause.

Maybe try looking at that BT iPlate or changing ISP's? Good luck
  7. tcrown

tcrown Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Have you tried fitting one of BT's signal noise suppressing covers to your socket? it's free apart from postage and it speeded me up considerably (well about 2Mb).
  8. Skykid

Skykid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, everyone. I spent time experimenting with the various PCs on the network, and the killer appears to be the online backups we are doing (2 independent systems on each PC, working concurrently - nuts, I know). In the evening, the office PCs were running the backups, and we watch the TV in the house, and they were obviously clashing.

Turning off the backup systems restored the download speed to 6.5Mb. Does it really have such an affect? I'd assumed that backups would kill the upload, but wouldn't affect the downloads. So I was wrong, and the problem looks cured. Plus our PCs are running fast, not just internet apps.

That noise suppressor sounds good, tcrown, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.