Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia HX823 TV Thread (46/55HX823)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by HaRd2BeAr, Jan 19, 2012.

1. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Sony Ditch Full Local Dimming; Edge LED HX853 Is Flagship TV

2. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +798
    Yeah, I think the HX8 series has always had local edge LEDs. My 803 did, and I think the 823 did too.

The only time I notice any issues with it is when I use Game mode with the Dynamic LED switched off. There's a bit of visible backlighting in the bottom corners, but it doesn't worry me just for gaming.

If the 853 can do everything else my set does, and has (as has been suggested in the early articles) better backlighting and PQ, it'll be a must buy for me. Just need to convince the missus we need a 46" TV in the bedroom, which may be difficult.

Good to hear you got past your worries and the engineer visit was OK, Aaron :smashin:
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. Eido122333

Eido122333 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gorilla Glass? Does that mean it's going to be reflective?
  4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Well, it *can* be yes.....but personally, I don't find it reflective at all - in fact, I think the Gorilla Glass "adds punch" to the image - kind of gives it more depth etc....

Obviously depends as well, as to where you situate the TV. If you have a huge window right dead opposite then I guess you will obviously suffer more.

At night, I have lots of lamps dotted about etc and don't notice any reflections from these - certainly nothing that intrudes on normal viewing anyhow...

I think, if I am honest, I noticed far more light and dull reflections from windows etc bounced back from my previous EX723 (which of course has the matte screen).

It surprised me at how much reflective light seemed to come from a matte screen!
  5. Eido122333

Eido122333 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just have a 40" LCD set at the moment, no glass on the front of it. Theres only a very vague blurry reflection at best in the screen, something I prefer after years of reflections in glass CRT screens. I also like how the LCD non-reflective screen looks more cinematic for films.
    Be a shame if the gorilla glass takes it 'backwards' in this sense.
  6. gcogger

gcogger Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I've just gone from a Sony 40W4000 (matt LCD screen) to a 55HX823, and the new TV is definitely worse for reflections. That's not to say that it's bad, but it's not as good as the old one was.
  7. bob mushroom

bob mushroom Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Replacement 55HX823 has arrived. Well done Sony Store!

All set-up and screen is perfect! Very happy no stuck pixel, no banding and no crease.

Feeling very smug!
  8. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Glad you got it sorted out mate.

Wonder how long it will be before i hear anything about my set.

Aaron
  9. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Good to hear there is perfect ones about :cool:
    i just pray mines ok on tuesday :rolleyes:
  10. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    i was browsing last week & i caught sight of a promotion pc world /currys were doing €999.00 for a 46hx823 & bluray player,so i immediately sold my 46hx803 for €800 to get this package,with sonys bdp s480 player.So far zero creases & the backlight is on par with the 803=v.good after calibration.The settings from the hx803 are ok for now but i hope to catch proper settings from a reputable online reviewer or any folks on here.;) Over the moon so far.It was manufactured in feb 2012,wether a late manufactured set has any bearing on q.c issues,im not sure.But for a much higher quality built set along with all the extras & bluray player,i couldnt resist...:)
  11. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I agree with your post in regards to reflections .Previous lcd matte screens used to annoy me for daytime viewing but for night-time this gorilla glass seems to show a nice punchy pic packed with detail,something the 803 was also good at even though reflections are probably a moot point during night viewing.But i have to say i was pleasently surprised how good daytime viewing is with this type of screen,also its a pretty cool design along with the understated looks IMO.:)
  12. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    My 46hx823 arrived today seems i have the crease on the right side :( and what looks like on dark scenes patches of lighter grey think it might be what you call the dirty screen effect.
    manufacture date is 11/2011 which seems odd since i ordered 2 weeks ago must be old stock they had in back of warehouse as the top of the box was quite dirty the latest firmware update didnt change anything to my eyes.
    Picture is fantastic bar the crease and dse, will have a play more tomorrow as my heads bouncing after 4 hours of menu tweaking/dicking about
  13. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    My set was manufactured in feb 2012,so i would say you got 1 from the last batch before mine tbh. If you need any help just pm. last year i got a hx in august which was made in march,i was expecting a similar manufacturing date with this set. But if it was a problem that could have been sorted post crease sets,you must be entitled to exchange it for a set manufactured recently. Im not saying for definate that other recent made sets are immune because i dont know for sure. All i can tell you is,i definately dont have a crease set & a small seep of light on bot. left that more or less goes in cinema or custom mode,as ive said if you need any help,pm. As you know the manufacture date is on the box & rear of tv. j.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Well my set is beyond repair. So apparently Sony were sending John Lewis a new set for me.

Called John Lewis today as my set has been gone since last Tuesday, they say as expected the 46HX823 is no longer available and after being put on hold multiple times, telling us we got refunded in December...um that was my last set. Then she said its not a straight forward refund and she seemed caught up on the fact we had the set price matched from £1499 to £1199 so we cant get £1499 back well yes why would we expect more back than we paid? 23mins basically on hold for nothing.

Also not being rude here but so far the people on the phone have been very hard to understand, the last was clearly Indian and 3 have been Scottish with heavy accents.

Tbh i seriously am thinking twice about shopping with John Lewis again this has been so far really appalling service. :(

Aaron
  15. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +798
    Aaron, no offense, but I think you're taking this whole thing a bit too seriously. You're getting a new TV after a few phone calls. What's the problem? Which other retailers have you dealt with for returns? I'd wager you've never dealt with DSG? :)

As for your comment about the call centre, they have a call centre in Scotland, chances are you might speak to a Scot :) I'm Scottish, and I spoke to people with English, Irish and, ahem, 'Eastern' accents without a problem. They even understood my Scottish accent. You can hardly class someone having an accent as bad service!

You haven't said a single thing yet which makes me think you've received appalling service, and I train people on this type of thing. By all means take your chances with someone else next time, and see what iffy service is really like!
  16. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    I totally understand your points - especially regarding DSG Retail etc...

As a side issue, I've suffered disgusting service at Comet only last year - over a faulty TV - so bad in fact I ended up serving them County Court papers - they backed down at the last minute and settled out of court - so I do get your drift.

I would though jump in here at the defense of Aaron and say that I do think he has a point about the accents. I've had to complain (for very, very good reasons) to Orange Broadband for example in the past who base their call centre in India.

I found the whole experience very, very daunting and trying to understand someone with a heavy accent can be very tiring and make the situation seem more stressful. I have nothing what-so-ever against the people (some of my best friends and favourite food are Indian!!) but I do know how he feels. Also I found that when you are ringing a call centre oversea's, the Indian staff (well at Orange anyhow) had little understanding of my problem and the "empathy" was just non existant.

I know Aaron is (presumably) referring to staff he spoke to based in this country, but, as I say, having a heavy accent can (although not the fault of the individual of course) be quite a hurdle when you are trying to complain.....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thats not good to hear for yourself and for my problem either Aaron im still umming and arring at the moment with my set.
    I dimminshed most of my cloudy patchy backlight problems(dynamic led control sorted it) but the crease is still there on the right although doesnt seem to be as bad as ive seen on the net and if it was on all four sides i would of already called them to be honest.
    I like everything alse about the tv and 3d is very good compared to my brothers samsung d7000 by a long shot

2 pics of my crease which is damn hard to capture as i deleted loads of pics not very good quality but you get the idea anyway

Attached Files:

18. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    They haven't given me the refund yet....

With regards the accent comment, i must state i have nothing against anyone but it really did make communication very hard.

Although the one lady was rather abrupt and stated some things we hadn't said.

I don't think the service has been that great tbh.

First call - "Nothing to do with us call Sony."

Second call same day - "No nothing to do with us, first year call Sony."

Third call next day - "That is fine we will arrange collection, you will receive a call tomorrow to arrange and the refund is in action."

Now i understand there was confusion on my part regarding the never ending returns etc but it doesn't really excuse the next call.

Fourth call two days later - "Calling about your recent order, it says here you are returning your tv because you can get it cheaper." After we got put through to the fault centre who were admittedly very helpful.

Tv taken last Tuesday and found out it was a write off after calling repair company for ourselves, so after hearing nothing from John Lewis we called them today. Am i being naive in thinking they should of called us to inform us? The repair company said John Lewis will call you, but any questions call us whenever.

So fifth call, lady is rather hard to understand (i know not her fault but it didn't help) we tell her tv is has been sent for repair but have been told by the company that it is beyond repair. She asks if we still have the tv....uhh no it got sent to the repair company and they said it is unrepairable...

She constantly puts us on hold so the call ends up 25minutes, to tell us that we wont get refunded £1499 as we got a price match for £1199, which yes we know, why would we get more back than we paid? She keeps repeating this and says the refund is not straightforward, so we keep getting put on hold.

She has said we will get a call tomorrow. Really not sure what is so difficult the tv is broke they have no more in stock and we would like our money back.

Slight rant on my part, but this is why i feel we have had a pretty bad service, not the accents although they haven't helped its the messing around and difficulties getting anyone who to help us.

Aaron
  19. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Being honest based on my experience i would return it, but that is me now with hindsight.

Aaron
  20. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Also i am not getting a new tv? Where did i say that?
  21. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I thought you said Sony were sending JL a new one for you?
  22. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Yeah that is what the repair company said, but it would seem there are non to send me. Also got the impression the repair company wasn't really in the loop, like it was just a standard thing to say. The women at John Lewis said we no longer sell that tv.
  23. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    That was before the call to John Lewis today.
  24. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    You should hold out for the new model.
    Even if you have to pay the difference, the new ones are being well reviewed aren't they?

I could recommend the Toshiba YL/WL series as an alternative.
  25. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Haven't been able to see the Toshiba, the Sony HX853 is due out in 20 days according to Sonys website.

Also looking at plasma, i did love the Sony but i just want this over with tbh lesson learned.

Thanks,

Aaron
  26. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +798
    Sure, I get what you're trying to say, and I agree about overseas call centres and strong accents, but he's talking to a British call centre which has fairly polite and well-spoken staff. Seems ludicrous to me to moan about someone having a Scottish accent! I've never felt the need to complain about speaking to an English/Irish/Welsh person at a call centre. The Scottish call centre isn't exactly in the Highlands :)
  27. Graham27

Graham27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +798
    And if you'd called Sony it'd likely have been sorted quicker. But people on on net like saying "My contract is with you" for no apparent reason.
    A mistake. No biggie?
    Nope, but it does confuse things if they think you're changing your mind about why you want to return it.
    Again, simple mistake sorted by a 'very helpful' fault centre.
    Just because the TV has been written off by the repair centre doesn't mean you're entitled to an instant phone call from JL. They have to work out what they're going to do about it before they call you and offer you something, which they clearly didn't have time to do before you called them. Hence more confusion.
    She's likely explaining that as the JL policy allows for replacement with a similar spec equivalent. Read through other threads, people chance their arm trying to get more than they're entitled to.
    That's all well and good, but you can't demand your money back. If they want to give you it, fair enough. They can offer you an equivalent replacement, refund or partial refund.
    You're obviously entitled to feel whatever you want, as am I, and I don't see a lot worth ranting about :)
    Here:
    You never explained that they weren't sending one after all.
  28. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Sorry but i am not going to talk to you, you just seem to be being deliberately awkward for no reason.
  29. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,059
    Aaron, I see nothing wrong with Graham27's replies, if you don't like his replies or posts stick him on ignore..there is no need to post it on thread, anyway once this has been resolved can you post the resolution.

back on topic, Curly
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. jammanuk20100

jammanuk20100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I was looking at gettinging the 46HX823 this weekend. Currys are doing it for £799 with free glasses and 3D Player (which I will sell as not fussed about 3D).

Ive been put off a bit by talks of creases and other defects.

Is the set likely to come with these ? If so why did you guys choose the set and is there not a better set for the same price that doesnt have the same things wrong?

I have a 40" Sony already so thats why I was looking at them, I like the Samsungs, but was put off by the silver bevel, for me the set has to be black or is distracting.

At the moment the HX823 is my main choice but worried Ill be disappointed by defects.