Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia - how do I do a digital re-tune please?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Pam B, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello

I have a Sony Bravia television and I have looked in the manual and the instructions are so brief it is ridiculous.

Does anybody know how I re-tune / auto-tune my television please in order to receive digital channels.

Thank you.
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,217
    Can you be more specific about the model number please.

The manuals are normally quite comprehensive so it suggests you only are using a quick setup guide.
  3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
    The Manual I have for the Sony HXD995 dvd recorder is quite comprehensive but I am unable to find the manual for my Sony Bravia KDL 37P3020. All I have with the TV docs is a leaflet telling me support information, manual, setup guides are available online and giving the Sony UK website url. My guess is that Sony did not supply a full manual for this TV.

The manual I have just downloaded from Sony and saved to the PC.

http://support.sony-europe.com/tv/lcd/lcd.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-40W4000

You may have to download the manual for your model from this website. Save it to your PC in case you need to refer to it again.

I rescanned mine by just using the menu button. Bottom Icon - Setup -OK -next Onscreen window - bottom icon - Digital setup (then just follow the instructions for autotune).
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  4. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5

The model number is KDL40W4000.

The guide I have does read like a quick setup guide but I did not receive anything more comprehensive.

Thank you for your help and please be as detailed as possible I won't find it patronising - thank you again.
  5. ows90

ows90 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    The full manual is available from the Sony website: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3298243131.pdf
    The digital re-tuning process is described on page 30 (with how to get there on page 21).

Press HOME on the remote;
    "Settings" should be highlighted (but if not, you can choose the category you want by pressing the LEFT/RIGHT arrow keys);
    With the "Settings" category highlighted, press the DOWN arrow key repeatedly until "Digital Set-up" is highlighted;
    Press OK (it's not marked as such but it's the button inside the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT arrows)
    Select "Digital Tuning", press OK;
    Then "Digital Auto Tuning", then OK, then OK to start (you may have to press LEFT/RIGHT to highlight the 'OK' option rather than 'Cancel' before pressing OK).
  6. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello

I am the original poster of this thread and I hardly ever watch TV channels on my TV by selecting TV on my Sony remote control (i.e. it is usually via my PVR instead).

I tried the instructions that were given to me above and they have worked in the past:
    i.e. the Home; Settings; Digital set up, Digital tuning, Digital auto tuning, then selecting Antenna.

However when I do this now I am missing some channels, e.g ITV.

I thought it might be due to a weak aerial reception??? However the aerial I have on the roof of my house goes into my PVR (Humax 9300-T) and I receive all my channels on my PVR.

I do usually watch channels via my PVR but tonight noticed whilst trying to put ITV on, via TV on my Sony remote control I did not have this channel.

Any suggestions gratefully received as to how I can get the rest of my channels back and please bear in mind I'm not a techie.

Thank you.
  7. Geofbob

Geofbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    This might be due to the signal being "marginal" & slightly weakened by going through the PVR and/or because the tuner in the TV is not as sensitive as that in the PVR. One thing you could do is to take the aerial lead out of the PVR & plug it directly into the TV, before tuning.

This might enable the TV's tuner at least to pick up the missing channels initially - though reception might still be ropey once you've reconnected the aerial back into the PVR.
  8. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Re mendip mast, is it true the retune will have to be done twice first on the 24/3 and again a date in april, 3 tvs and 2 dvd recorders wil be a bit of a pain.
  9. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Geofbob I now have all my channels viewed via TV as opposed to HDMI - by putting my aerial directly into my television to pick up these channels.

However I have now put my aerial back into my PVR and can still watch all my 'TV' channels, i.e. when selecting TV however when I select HDMI I had 'no or bad signal' I had temporarily lost the channels via my PVR.

I did a Installation of default settings and have tried an Automatic and a Manual search for the channels but at present I have no channels on my PVR. It says no channels found.

The strange thing is the aerial is in my PVR and yet I still have all my channels when I watch on my televison via the TV option (as opposed to HDMI).

This to me indicates there is not a problem with my aerial as I am getting all the channels but just cannot seem to pick them up when I do an Automatic search for them on my PVR.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.
  10. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just to add to my post above when I look at the settings on my PVR under System; Signal detection is 0% for both strength and quality.

This I find strange as my aerial is in the back of the PVR and yet I can watch channels on my television but only via the 'TV' option not the HDMI option.

I just do not understand why when I do an automatic search the channels are not being picked up.

When I turn the PVR off then back on again it defaults to look for channels but again says no channels found.
  11. Geofbob

Geofbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Hi Pam - I think what may be happening is that the actual HDMI cable is interfering with your terrestrial signal - this is a recognised problem, & rather surprisingly is more likely to happen with supposedly better grade (& therefore more expensive) HDMI cables,

There isn't really any reason for you to use an HDMI cable to connect from the PVR to the TV - so I suggest you substitute a Scart cable, & see if that solves the tuning problems.
  12. Robbie34

Robbie34 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Have you got aN RF lead connected from your PVR to the Sony? The aerial should connect directly to the PVR and then via an RF lead to the TV.
  13. Pam B

Pam B Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you to both of you.

I have finally worked out what the problem was. My aerial was fine when I put it in my television to pick up those channels but when I put it in my PVR the wires had come loose so it was not staying in the back of my PVR.

So with a bit of tape I have been able to secure my aerial into the back of my PVR and have been able to find all my channels again.

Thank you Geofbob for your suggestion re the HDMI cable and I did try with a scart lead but yes it does seem there were problems with the end of my aerial lead which only happened after I had pulled it from the television and put it back into my PVR again.

Thank you once again for all your help.