1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia EX723 3D LED-TV

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by ChrisGgr, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    The new EX723 seems to start popping up on retailers website which means launch is approaching!

[​IMG]

Coming in 32",37",40",46",55" sizes
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    please move thread to 3D LCD section
  3. bclark1

bclark1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I am pretty sure it's coming out in 37 inch too.
  4. davidcharles

davidcharles Member

Ratings:
    +103
    looks aren't everything but they're pretty boring looking....no where near as swish as the new Samsungs.

each to there own i suppose
  5. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    dont forget its mid range models!higher end sony's use monolith design!
  6. ab316

ab316 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @chrisghr : hey hi how are u.. dont u think samsungs new design is as good as sonys monoliths specially samsung d8000 and d7000 and 6 series led tv..? dont u think sony should have done something more to improve the design?

being a big fan of sony i still have to admit samsungs new design is awesome..

but since ex720 is a mid range model it doesnt compete with 7 series or 8 series and i liked the design it looks classy and understated.. for 7 and 8 series sony has the monoliths which looks equally awesome to me if not better..

i am intrested in ex720 or the samsung 6 series 3d led tv..
  7. ataylor76

ataylor76 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was in Sony Centre Nuneaton today and the 40EX723 was in stock and on display. Not the most exciting design in the world but definitely had some minimalist appeal. As for the set itself, picture quality was excellent, definitely sharper than last year's EX models. 3D performance was much improved on last years entry level 3D sets (40NX713). Crosstalk was definitely reduced (but not totally eradicated) IMO. Again, only being a 40 inch set it was not the immersive 3D experience some may be after, but if you have a smaller room to cater for it could be ideal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ab316

ab316 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey thanks.. i want to buy a 3d TV and this is one of the TVs in the list.. i want 40 inch or 46 ( if my budget allows ) .. i am not that interested in 3d but i want it in my tv just for future proof.. did u like the looks of it? did it look classy and understated? i am not a fan of samsung design but they do look flashy and attractive..
  9. ataylor76

ataylor76 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Design-wise I can't say it looked as good as the new Samsung models. But it did look quality rather than flash.

Today, I was in Currys - PC World in Coventry and they had just put up on display a 46EX723. Design much the same as the 40 inch. Picgture quality was again excellent but I don't think it had that level of detail and black quality I would expect for set costing £1399. This will be the same price point as some new 2011 Panasonic and Samsung plasmas.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ab316

ab316 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it depends on which model of samsung are you comparing with.. if you comparing with samsungs 7 and 8 series then it wont look as good.. u should compare sonys hx and nx series with samsungs 7 and 8 series.. i am comparing ex720 with samsungs 6 series.. do u think 6 series looks better? i am not getting time to go and see it.. i will try this week for sure.. the reason i dont want to go for samsung tvs is because of their panel lottery system.. i really like panasonic tvs.. but i am not a big fan of plasmas.. i want an led tv.. i think sonys ex720 will be as good as panasonics and samsungs plasmas in the same price range..
  11. Miths

Miths Member

Ratings:
    +28
  12. xtr3m3

xtr3m3 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I have tested these new EX723 tv's (55", 40" and 32") and I'm not impressed.
    I have read some reviews and they praise this new model. Maybe the test crew are greased by Sony?

My findings...
    - With DVB-T/C SD material the picture quality is worse than with older models.. much visible pixelation
    - Very blurred motion even with the sharpest settings
    - Motion Flow... it seems to have a bug.. when changing settings the screen goes darker and darker. Setting it off and the screen goes bright. Also there is a lot visible juddering.
    - 32" model haven't got Motion Flow in it's menu (a bug in the software or a missing chip?)
    - Lack of colors space... what have happened here Sony?
    - Less contrast & brightness than with the competitors
    - Colors loose contrast very easily in other angle than "direct" one :(

I have to admit that the competitors have much wider color space and more sharper motion with no judder.
    Maybe these tested units were "lemons". :)

Does anyone else have any test results with these?
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  13. hideos trait

hideos trait Member

Ratings:
    +85
    i have always liked bravia tvs,im actually on my third after going for a 46 pana g10,which i had to return because the SD on cable (upc) had a slight orange tint,no matter what i done,i cud not fully eradicate the problem. Ive had a w5500 since,in which time my sis had a few switch problems with her samsung.I had the clouding prob on a previous W sony model but with carefull calibration it was hardly noticeable.IMO even a budget sony has aesthetic appeal in the flesh,so i again will be getting a sony for 3D. an nx model as i like the upper class design on a mid range model. But mostly for the simple reliability of a sony tv as i have bought them for the last 20+ years,without a single problem.:)
  14. xtr3m3

xtr3m3 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    As for the 3D, I have to admit that it worked much better on Sony than with Panasonic and Samsung tv's.

I haven't seen/experienced those nx models yet.

These days Sony models have much more faults than with the older models. One technician said that there are many power supply issues and some tv's stops starting up after one ½ year. So buying a robust tv in these days is a lottery after all. :laugh:
  15. hideos trait

hideos trait Member

Ratings:
    +85
    i disagree as ive had recent W 3000,W4000 & W5500 tvs without a single flaw. anyway they (sony) give 5yr warrantys with the tvs :)
  16. b757

b757 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  17. xtr3m3

xtr3m3 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the link.

About that review

About the picture motion smoothness:
    I don't know who those guys are, but they stated "There are also no motion judder issues during 2D playback, which is excellent" and it's completely false information.
    I have personally tested one year old Philips and this KDL40EX723 side by side and have to say that using "MotionFlow:Clear" is absolutely juddering a lot. :( Also one year old 700-series Samsung had less motion judder. Have to set it as "Standard" to get less judder. An for note: The Sony had the latest firmware installed.
    What I personally prefer being good: as smooth & sharp picture as possible

About picture processing unit:
    The X-Reality lacks to be better than Bravia.

About back levels:
    "Its biggest down-sides are the fact that its deepest blacks are purple-tinted"
    - For me it looks like a dark bluish "blacks" like with most LCD LED Samsung models. If you don't hate it, then it's good for you.

SD:
    "We were also impressed with its standard-def performance."
    - It looks no better than with other brands on the same value. This is soap marketing.

About the menu:
    When browsing, it judders a lot (shey should have used a lower resolution to get more smooth menu animations). Who gives a damn what the menus look like if they work fast? :lesson:

Last toughts:
    Picture quality had much hopes and deliveres little.
    More "bling, bling" to attract people. The HQ menu animations, etc. Not much value if you are just looking for the picture and not the menus. Well I don't mind you watching a few hours on the menus while I'm watching a movie. My point here is that they should have used their time on improving the SD picture quality and getting rid of the juddering than improving the menus.
  18. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    iv just bought the 55ex723 and i cant see any judder or smearing but clear is too dark for me standard is fine and during the day pq is goog as i have sunlight but nothing mind blowing
    sd is good re detailing but blacks are not plasma like
    i have a g20 as well and i must say 2d is better

i cant get the browser to get past google it just errors out

media remote works fine ( wifi) the tv requires ethernet cable

azz
  19. Waz

Waz Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just got this TV and I am fairly happy with it, the 3D quality is great.

A quick query however, I notice Samsung displays produce a rather life like display. My friend says it looks real, the textures are amazing. Can anyone recommend me settings for this set as out the box the Sony doesn't blow me away
  20. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Finally got the tv looking right
    Use the settings from flatpannel but tv picture dose not still look right so turn brightness down less than 40 and turn light sensor off and mf nothing above standard
    Turn colour to 57
    Looks grt
    Azz
    Web browser likes yahoo

Attached Files:

21. brayg01

brayg01 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys, I’ve just bought the 46EX723. It’s an amazing TV, with great picture (both SD and HD) with the XBOX and Blu-ray looks amazing.

I’ve read through the review above and tried to change the setup on two of my HDMI channels but I seem to be missing some options in the Picture Menu. I’ve checked the review and the i-Manual and both suggest lots of different options for the Picture Mode, including Game and Graphics. The i-Manual give this list of options but states that not all will be available in all regions and countries.

Picture Mode
    [Vivid] : Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
    [Standard] : Provides standard picture for basic home use.
    [Custom] : Stores your preferred settings.
    [Cinema 1] : Provides film-based content for a theatre-like environment.
    [Cinema 2] : Provides film-based content for basic home use.
    [Sports] : Optimises picture quality for viewing sports.
    [Game-Standard] : Provides standard pictures suitable for games.
    [Game-Original] : Adjusts the game picture according to your preference.
    [Graphics] : Optimises picture quality for viewing graphics.
    [Photo-Vivid] : Enhances contrast, sharpness, and colour of photographs.
    [Photo-Standard] : Optimises picture quality for viewing photographs.
    [Photo-Original] : Enhances the visual warmth of photographs.
    [Photo-Custom] : Adjusts the detailed settings for viewing photographs and stores your preferred settings.
    [Animation] : Optimises picture quality for viewing animations.

The review above used a UK model 40EX723 and the only difference between that model and mine is I have the next screen size up.

Am I been stupid and missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance.
  22. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    try pressing scene then pic menu and then you will see what you desire
    :hiya:

azz
  23. brayg01

brayg01 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one ass, work a treat!
  24. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    My pleasure but im no ones ass

Azz
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. brayg01

brayg01 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oops, sorry, I replied from my phone! Stupid auto correct spelling!

Thanks again Azz.
  26. N.A.V

N.A.V Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the KDL46EX723 but I'm finding the 3D very blurry. I'm currently watching Wales vs Scotland on Sky 3D and it's quite blurry.

Has anyone got any suggestions or recommended settings please?
  27. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    can anyone suggest an external usb powered hard drive to connect for freeview recording

i was thinking about a buffalo ministation 500g

azz
  28. brayg01

brayg01 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using a spare Western Digital 250gb My Passport drive. Like the Buffalo MiniStation this drive is powered by the USB so no extra power needed.

I recorded F1 in HD over the weekend and it didnt use a lot of space. My only issue is it sometime misses parts of programs or fails to provide the correct name for them. It isn't as good as Sky+ but since I haven't moved to SKY HD yet it's better than nothing.
  29. hideos trait

hideos trait Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Just a quick heads up.The Sony EX713 range apparently uses 2 different type panels:The 32 & 46" use AU Optronics ltd. MVA panels,while the 40 & 55" use Sony/Samsung PVA.There is supposed to be a big contrast improvement (as in over twice!!) with the PVA panels as well as a wider viewing angle.What the hell is going on esp with the 32" being such a popular size?These days we really have to dig deep in research when buying TV/AUDIO.The EX713 46" has a bit of meat at the back of the slim screen & looks like good value,v. nice looking set.I also seen the EX723 in the flesh yesterday,they are really beautiful for the £££s.Supposed to suffer from crosstalk with 3D but 2D is immaculate.Maybe its another firmware fix option,i dont really know.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  30. azz

azz Member

Ratings:
    +25
    thax brayg01

ive just ordered buffalo mini 500g usb2.0

i will let you know how i get on
    azz