Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia EX320 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NX3, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jolltax

Jolltax Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, just ordered one of these from (a KDL24EX320WU) Dixons online and plan to mount it on the wall in the kitchen.

Look forward to streaming from my Synology server and using iPlayer during breakfast (will drive the wife nuts!).

I bought a Logik LCM10 mount for it so I can position on the wall and free up some kitchen surface.

:smashin:

Jolltax
  2. airefc

airefc Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Had a look at the tv (ex320) in a Sony shop and in Comet. They had the settings on vivid which looks disgusting!

I set the picture to custom and changed to warm 2 setting with the backlight set to max. I put all the noise settings to off which made the picture look alot better and with back light to max it seems just about bright enough.

As for the sound I took surround off and left sound enhancer on and put the bass right up and it didnt sound to bad, not quite as bad as I thought.

The tv looks amazing especially in black and the viewing angles didnt seem to be too bad.

I like how the stand keeps the tv low and compact.

I also looked at the Panasonic 24" in the shop with freeview hd but it was to small but a nice tv.
  3. MLDavis

MLDavis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't get a good Internet connection from my ex 320 with a new router from talktalk

I have a Sony KDL24 ex 320 TV, which worked fine with my old netgear router in providing a fast internet connection and good quality for services link the BBC's iplayer, but now with my new d link 2780 wireless router from Talktalk it says it has a connection but when you try to connect to any Internet services it times out as either unable to connect or too slow. does the same when you try to update Internet services.

The TV's software is all up to date, checked that yesterday. The d link router works fine with all of the other wireless appliances we have, including iplayer on the computer and the connection speed is 8 meg, put the old router back on and TV Internet connection worked fine as well.

It is specifically the connection between the d link 2780 and Sony TV that doesn't work properly.

Any suggestions as to how to fix appreciated.

Specific products are:
    D link 2780 broadband wireless n adsl2+ router
    Sony kdl 24 ex320
  4. blueberryman

blueberryman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering getting the KDL24EX320, but don't get Freeview until next April. Please can someone tell me whether the iPlayer will allow me to watch live BBC channels (like the version I get on my PC), or is it like the version on Freesat, where you can only view "watch again" programmes ?
    The analog signal is quite poor where I live, but I have an excellent BT Infinity broadband, around 37 meg download speed, so I'm planning to use that until my local transmitter converts to Freeview.
    Thanks.
  5. George A

George A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The 26EX320 SONY TV has freeview hd in the country i live in (Romania). I've just bought it after reading all the posts i found on this forum(wich, i must say, were quite helpful), posts that mentioned that the TV has no free hd, but that it's still a good set and to my surprise it can see all the hd tv channels that are available for free from the local cable tv provider (RCS-RDS). For this you must do a complete search. Well i believe you when you say it has no freeview hd in England (i suppose you know better :p ) so i'm writing this down mainly for people living in Romania who are tempted(like i was) to buy this tv but aren't too happy with the lack of free hd(also like i was). So, from what i can tell(just got it today), it's a good tv set.
  6. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Live BBC, no....but if your happy to wait for shows to appear on iplayer its a great set for iplayer :) I believe its a better experience that freesat, you've used iplayer via a PC I take it ?
  7. blueberryman

blueberryman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks NX3. Yes, I have used iPlayer on PC, Freesat and Wii. I was just hoping that the Sony version was functionally similar to the PC version.
    I'll probably get the 24EX320 anyway and fix up a better aerial for the local transmitter. We will get Freeview-Lite next April, so will have to survive with four live analogue channels in the bedroom until then.
    Re HD, I think that with a 24 inch acreen, you would have to sit about 3 feet from the TV to appreciate the quality. For that reason, I'm not bothered by the lack of DVB-T2 tuner.
    Thanks again for the useful info ! Much appreciated.
  8. craigchambers

craigchambers Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Sounds like your local providers are broadcasting HD on standard DVB-T rather than DVBT-2. Be aware that if there is a change in infrastructure to begin using DVB-T2 for HD broadcasts, which uses more efficient broadcast technologies such as h264 for video streams, you will probably be unable to view the broadcasts any longer.
    A similar issue recently affected satellite viewers in the UK (this was a change from DVB-S to DVB-S2, but it's generally the same thing) where viewers with standard boxes were able to view BBCHD. After the upgrade to S2, this was no longer possible.

In the meantime, enjoy your HD channels!

/Craig
  9. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey everyone, just got the new 26 inch EX320, and all is well except the internet connection.

The connection worked fine for the first few couple of days and not it says failed.

Local access: failed

Internet access: failed

I have reset the router countless of times, my laptop connects, my phone connects to wifi. I am not sure what is wrong :/ I tried using an internet cable to the router but still the connection failed. The wireless device on the TV is found so it works. Anyone know what is wrong? I reset the router, nothing, I readjusted its position, nothing. Now I am confused, Did the TV break already? o_O

:( I really like this TV but now with a non-functioning internet TV part, I am kind of stuck with just a normal TV. :/

It says error 1106, I can't even upgrade the firmware :/ I can't return the TV even if I wanted to :(
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. tom 2000

tom 2000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    I assume the tv has been restarted.
  11. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Have you upgraded the firmware at all ? If not I'd suggest going to Sony page, downloading it to a USB stick and doing it manually. What router have you got ? have you updated the firmware on the router? Is the router wifi n ?
  12. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, thanks for the responses.

The TV has been restarted, and I have reset it to factory settings so nothing. I have not updated the firmware because everything was working fine when I bought the TV last week. Is there a specific firmware for my tv on the sony website?

The internet TV worked fine until last day. I have tried connected the TV physically as well to the router and nothing worked there except the cable connection it.

The router is a netgear WNR100, its firmware is up to date and it has not provided me any problems since I got it.
  13. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
  14. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just ordered the 26" version. And should pick it up tomorrow.

Just have a couple of issues. One is - as things stand I have no tv aerial in my bedroom - I have SKY but want to get rid of the sky box and just use freeview and internet services off this TV.

So need to work a second signal off my TV aerial, or get some 2nd aerial. Any tips - I'm sure there are probably threads on here somewhere, so a link is fine. Or a slap in the right direction. :)

The other is a suitable wall bracket - can anyone confirm what wall brackets are suitable? Is it VESA standard - and is it 100 x 200, or what size is it? Obviously looking to order the right size, and the sooner the better.
  15. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I just updated the firmware and jack, so this is not good :(

Ok it says the TV version is PKG3.407EUA-0104

and it says it updated, but now when I stick in the update again, it says now that it can't be updated since says its new.

I have used the PIN and push button methods but nothing there either :(
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  16. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
  17. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Not sure I understand, you've updated the tv to the latest version but you want to do the update again ? The tv won't let you as it already has the latest version.
  18. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    from the firmware update site

If the version number is PKG3.309, your TV set has been correctly updated.

Mine does not start with 309, my version is PKG3.407EUA-0104, don't matter at this moment, wifi on the tv don't work. so firmware is the least of my worries.
  19. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood Member

Ratings:
    +6
  20. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    but the firmware update could fix the wifi issues which is why I was recommending you update the tv. Can you run a ethernet cable to the tv or move it so you can then from the tv menus you can tell the tv to update the firmware over the internet as you've not been able to update via USB.
  21. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    read my intitial post, I already mentioned I used a normal lan cable to try it, and nothing is working, the connection works, but it fails for local and internet access. I just did it again and same thing,

cable connection: OK
    local access: failed
    internet access: failed

It says it cannot update the firmware because the firmware on the device is newer than the firmware from the sony website. this means it updated when I used the USB stick to update it.

edit, reset the tv and same problem persists, so ya awesome. pc and phone all connect to wifi with no issues.

edit2. even better, my facebook and twitter widgets are also missing from my tv now, fantastic.
  22. iste44

iste44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried unplugging your router at the mains to reset it?
  23. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have unplugged the router 8 times and reset it even more times, firmware on router is up to date as well.

I used my phones 3G connection, made a hotspot and connected the tv, and it connected to the network, but when using the router it does not work, but why did the internet connection work via the router before and not it doesn't :/

I hate this. fml
  24. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Why not call Sony support ? Also the model is less than 12 months old so would be under warranty.
  25. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the router, not the tv, since the tv connected to my phones 3G connection when I made it a hotspot, but it connected to the router before but not anymore, oh well.
  26. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    So call netgear :) See if you can install DD-WRT and get away from netgear firmware. I've used DDWRT for years and all the family, its very good and works very well with my Sony tv's.
  27. ascariss

ascariss Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My router is not supported on the list on the website when I checked, so looks like I will have to spend even more money and buy a new router f f s.

I don't want to be using my phones 3G plan to connect my tv all the time to the internet, that is just stupid.
  28. iste44

iste44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed one slightly annoying thing with my tv - the first 30 minutes or so after i've switched it on it makes like a clicking / crackling noise about every 30 seconds - sometimes not audible depending how loud the program i'm watching is. I had a hard drive connected to it so I thought it was that at first but I now think its probably the tv warming up - does anyone else get this though?
  29. craigchambers

craigchambers Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Given the maturity of the 802.11 standards, it seems incredible that something so basic as wireless routing has a list of supported devices! I could understand if the list was of devices with which you can use 802.11n, but without this, the TV should be able to use 802.11g as a fallback with no problem at all. This is the way that 802.11 standards are designed.

/Craig
  30. mb2

mb2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone confirm the 24" has iplayer available in HD??

Also, is the smartphone control available now? Anyone used it / comments ??