Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia EX320 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NX3, Mar 14, 2011.

1. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The 2011 Sony Bravia EX320 models come out this month (March 2011) so thought I've start a thread. Looking at Sony.co.uk the range is;

KDL-22EX320
    KDL-24EX320
    KDL-26EX320*

*no mention of the 26EX320 though its available to pre-order on many UK sites, its list on Sony sites in Europe and the manual is available from here;

Televisions and Projectors |  KDL-26EX320 | Sony Support Europe

The highlights are full HD, LED, Freeview and Freeview HD, built in Wifi, USB recording. Skype with optional camera CMU-BR100 (no prices yet). I thought Opera browser was coming to the 2011 range but its not listed as yet.

Skype preview for Sony Bravia TV's
    Sony Insider » Hands-on With Skype For Sony BRAVIA Devices

I've got the 26" model coming hopefully released the 18th March so I can post comments after that date.
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
  3. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I unboxed a KDL-22EX320 a couple of days ago. Been waiting for this model for a couple of months but delayed my excitement until I'd got it up and running and tested all the claimed features I was looking for.

Brochure at KDL-22EX320 (KDL22EX320) : Overview : TV & Home Cinema : Sony (small screenshot archived yesterday at www.twitpic.com/4a2wyb).

• Freeview HD - regrettably the KDL-22EX320 does NOT feature Freeview HD, regardless of whatever the website reads (claimed Freeview HD when I placed the order). The packaging/box doesn't claim that the model supports Freeview HD, but then it doesn't mention Freeview at all. No channels around 50, standard channels broadcasting at 576i, and my KDL-40EX503 does receive the HD channels from the same tv aerial outlet. Confirmed by telephoning Sony on 0844 number - no DVB-T2 in this model.
    • Widgets - both the bundled paper manual and in-built i-Manual refers to "widgets" but I can't share with you what widgets are on the KDL-22EX320 because the feature is not installed. The same telephone call (above) revealed that widgets might appear in a future firmware update (no expected date).
    • Skype - the logo appears on the packaging/box, and on Sony's website, but I can't find it in the product. My presumption is that Skype might be a widget (see above).
    • Flash - unsupported in the web browser (which is Opera). Not even Flash Lite (and I'd expect this to have been considered as a compromise by Opera). At least at this point in time, anyway, maybe a future firmware update... Weigh up for yourselves: if your Flash content viewing is limited to the bundled YouTube and BBC iPlayer then all should be fine.
    • BBC iPlayer - painfully slow to navigate, especially compared to the KDL-40EX503 and the iViewer iPlayer TV (from M&S), so choosing to watch iPlayer has to be a dedicated action - know beforehand what you want to watch because browsing using iPlayer on this model is a chore. Once playing however, it's a dream to watch. High Quality broadcasts are noticeably superior to standard def tv over the aerial - somewhere between SD TV and HD TV.
    • Remote - the bundled RM-ED045 unit weighs less than its sister RM-ED035 (for KDL-40EX503).
    • Java - the Sony Insider review is slightly wrong, as the Opera web browser in this KDL-22EX320 model does support JavaScript but does not support Java (used How do I test whether Java is working on my computer? to test).
    • Everything else (e.g. recording, streaming from media player) I've not yet investigated.

For me the picture quality is truly excellent, even if noticeably not HD, and sound quality is tolerable. I've got a hard time justifying putting it back in its box just because it's not got a Freeview HD receiver.

Software Version: PKG2.129EUA-0104
    Connectivity: 100Mbit Ethernet (not tried WiFi)

NX3, how does the 26" model compare with my findings for 22"?
  4. bludouro

bludouro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information, shame it doesn't have a Freeview HD tuner as I was all set to buy either the 22 or 24 inch TV for my bedroom.

Looking on the Sony website both clearly advertise built in HD, but on closer inspection the online Italian manual shows the HD tuner only on models 32 inch and up.
  5. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    My 26 hasn't shipped yet, UK sites now list a release date of the 25th March but still not on Sony UK website.
  6. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    "Enjoy a huge range of free digital TV and radio channels, including HD programmes, with built-in Freeview HD. There's no subscription or contract and no need for a set-top box or satellite dish. It's all easily accessible using just one remote control and your external TV aerial."

Sony UK page still claims the 22" is Freeview HD. I get the impression Sony UK webpage is not a good source of information, stick to Amazon or John Lewis sites imo.
  7. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    In my ten minute telephone call to Sony UK on 08448466555 to explain that the KDL-22EX320 isn't Freeview HD, the chap that took my call said the website was being corrected as we spoke. Well, I guess in some large organisations even the smallest of changes might not propagate to the web for some time. Shame the Sony UK site hasn't been corrected, would limit the disappointment of some customers.
  8. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Parts of it have been corrected not all I guess. My tv has shipped, arriving tomorrow but still not listed...
  9. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
  10. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The 22 inch still says "with built-in Freeview HD" muppets ! This worries me for my 26"......

Also I've noticed the manual says the 26" is 1366x768 resolution but the 24" is 1920x1080. The english manual isn't available but the French, German etc are ! DVD-T2 (HD?) tuner is in the 32" or bigger models only it claims.

Firmware dated 18th March 2011 at;
    http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc...te=odw_en_IE&f=FW_Bravia2129EUA&m=KDL-26EX320

Improvements in this version PKG2.129EUA

New browser specification support.
    Improve usability of PC (Analog) input.
    Support new feature (HbbTV).
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  11. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    and its arrived, no freeview HD mentioned on the box.... not sure if I open it or not now !
  12. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Well I opened it and I've had a play. I also have a 2010 Sony 32EX503 which is what I'm comparing it against.

Whats Great
    Menu options and all functions are snappy, quicker than a EX503.
    Audio seems quite good so far compared to my previous Sony 26" from 4 years ago
    Picture is good but standard settings often soften and make an over bright picture. I set to custom, this has most the 'auto' settings to off and I changed colour tone from WARM2 to natural. I need to tweak some more but it looks much better.
    Online content is same as EX503 but faster to navigate.
    BBC iPlayer has HD ! I tried it over Wifi G (my routers limitation) and it worked very well and looked great. Also it uses the standard sony control for FF / RW / Zoom unlike the EX503 so is easier to navigate.
    Refreshing internet content forced the set to check for firmware and updated asap. 2010 models updates where a bit hit and miss when they were downloaded and applied.

Whats not so great...
    No freeview HD (iPlayer HD though offsets this partly for me)
    Panel is 1366*768 but 24" is a true 1080p panel (but accepts a 1080p signal)
    The TV sits low due to the new design stand (not a big deal, just an annoyance for me)
    BBC iPlayer front screen with large graphics is slow and clunky (but all other menu options in iplayer are quick so not a big deal really)
    XMB redesign, it feels a bit odd to me. I prefer the classic XMB as on the PS3 and EX503.

Lots I've not tried yet like the web browser, recording etc but pretty pleased so far.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  13. crowleyp

crowleyp Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Disappointing that this does not have Freeview HD, but I am still considering the 24" for my kitchen. Can anyone with this set confirm if it has an S-video input, or only component?

Have an older, wall mounted Sony DVD player I want to connect, that has no HDMI or Scart.

Many thanks
  14. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    I've used the built in web browser this morning and it works quite well. No Adobe Flash support but for basic web it works ok though navigating without a mouse and input without a keyboard aren't so easy. Sites with heavy graphics e.g BBC Sport are a little slow to use but pages load fast.

The recording function works really well. I've got a 2.5" portable 250gb HDD I plugged in, registered and just hit record and away you go. You can also schedule from the EPG, leave the set on standby and it sorts its self out.

I used iPlayer a bit more today, its really good the way FF / RW just work and instantly (even over wifi) work. I used SD version on higher quality and F1 qualifying looked great. HD looks great as well.
  15. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    HDMI, Component, Scart, USB, CAM, Aerial

What does your old dvd player have ? If it does composite you can get a scart adapter for about a quid.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
  18. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    "Control your TV using free mobile phone apps - Use a smartphone as a TV remote control or second display screen for online video with Media Remote (firmware upgrade needed) "

Not out yet...boo.

I've been using Serviio Serviio DLNA media server with the set and it works great and its free.
  19. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The following 2011 models share firmware ;

KDL-46CX520 / CX525 / EX520 / EX521 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729
    KDL-40EX520 / EX521 / EX523 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729
    KDL-37EX720 / EX725
    KDL-32CX520 / CX521 / CX523 / CX525 / EX421/ EX520 / EX521 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729
    KDL-26EX320 / EX321 / EX325
    KDL-24EX320 / EX325
    KDL-22EX320 / EX325
  20. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The manual talks about using the optional WiFi adapter and gives instructions on how to set it up. The set has WiFi built in ! I only have a WiFi G router and so it connects at G speeds. I'm trying to work out if its WiFi N but as its not a documented feature not sure how to tell. Has anyone else connected to N router and getting a network connection of more than 54mbps ?
  21. PhilA

PhilA Member

Ratings:
    +17
    well... about Freeview HD tuner. I wondered about the 24" as its got a different panel in it, so wondered if it had the HD tuner.
    Seems the manual says no (in french etc).
    Sony tech support said yes (although they also said yes to the 22" having it too!)
    My local sony centre said doesnt look like it, tho they get the tv in shortly so will check.
    JohnLewis said yes it does, they have the TV in stock and they checked the documentation - i would rather someone looks at the TV and BBC HD on it!

So still not any closer to a definate yes or no.
  22. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Given we know the 22" (confirmed by freeballoon) and 26" (confirmed by me) don't have Freeview HD I've be 100% sure the 24" won't either.

My manual lists the various models in UK, it says no DVB-T2 tuner. It also says no built in Wifi either, which was wrong !
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  23. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    "I can confirm that the wi-fi adapter is N 300.

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Nic Davis
    Customer Information Centre
    SONY UNITED KINGDOM"

Great news, time to get a new router I think as my Wifi G while playing BBC HD iPlayer on the tv it soaked up all my available wifi bandwidth.
  24. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    "Files from a network device need to be in the following formats:
    - Still images: JPEG
    - Music: MP3, linear PCM
    - Video: AVCHD, MPEG2, MPEG1, MP4 (AVC), MP4 (MPEG4), DivX"

Thats an improvement on previous years for video which only did AVCHD and MPEG2 over the network.
  25. swander

swander Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, no Freeview HD...but you can record programs on a portable hard drive, with no need for a DVR or anything?
  26. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Yup I just plugged in a 2.5" drive powered by USB only, formatted it on tv, registered to tv, recorded direct too it. Just to be clear the set has one tuner so it records what your watching or if scheduled it records from the tuner but the picture/audio is off. Sony EPG has a good design, this was all easy to use. Any USB device smaller than 2tb will work (it says on screen about the 2tb limit on HDDs).
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  27. freeballoon

freeballoon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Correction, that's a 2TB limit!

For info, I tried an ageing 30GB PATA drive in a USB2 enclosure. After following the on-screen prompts to format (I think the term used in the prompt is "register" or similar), I tried the third option in the list which was to attempt a performance test. Once this had completed (unattended, but it can't have taken longer than 5 minutes) I'd forgotten the instruction to remove the HDD, so attempted to set a recording, but was prevented because the HDD was full. I guess the performance test fills the HDD, but doesn't subsequently empty it. Unplugged HDD, plugged-in HDD, formatted, recording fine.

The reason I mention this is twofold: firstly following instructions will save you a few minutes of head-slapping, and secondly because my performance test resulted in "this drive may not be sufficiently fast enough for some programmes" (or similar, I can't recall verbatim). I took this HDD out of a 2000-model Vaio laptop (a PCG-Z505SX for the fanboys), so I'm not too surprised. However, two recordings of Family Guy and one World Cup Cricket render without noticeable imperfections.
  28. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    haha yes 2TB, sorry !!!

"this drive may not be sufficiently fast enough for some programmes" I got this message on a brand new Samsung 5400rpm 16mb cache SATA drive. I bought a USB enclosure and put it together myself. In testing from a Windows and Ubuntu PC I get between 30-60mb per second which is the fastest USB device I've seen. I took the message with a pinch of salt as I believe my USB drive is pretty damn fast as it goes. Everything I tried all worked fine.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  29. mads58260

mads58260 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Arrgh - just about to order this TV... Also disappointed that after months of advertising the Freeview HD feature, this is only available on the larger screen models... :(

Just wondering whether anyone has managed to get hold of the EX320's sister model, the EX325? Same spec as the EX320 but with support for DVB-S/S2!

Maybe there is a way to get broadcast HD without an additional STB?

Has anyone posted any screengrabs for the programme guide or the menus?

Cheers!
  30. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    DVB-S/S2 is satellite ? is the 325 a Freesat tv ?

I can post some video clips of the menus etc later on youtube, it might be tomorrow am.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011