Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by lr101fc, Jun 11, 2011.
You need a ofa with a magic button
Thanks Mentm, the ofa has the magic button. How should i procede?
The instructions are basically the same with all remotes you just need to add some leading zeroes with some remotes.
ie look at the first post the 00 shown in red may or may not be required depending on model used
I managed to get hold of a one for all remote but I think I bought the wrong thing. It has the magic button but no DVD button, looks like it will only control a TV. It's a model 7110
Will this work and if so how do I manage it without a DVD button
Unfortunately you need one with a magic and dvd button.
I know that in this thread it's already been mentioned that USA sold players cannot be hacked. But since I only want to play region 4 DVDs from Brazil (NTSC), is it possible that the hack posted would work on my Sony BDP-S580 if I could find one of the universal remotes with Magic and DVD buttons?
unfortunately no they can't be hacked at all
I unlocked my EU BDP-S580 with URC-3940.
This should work for different SONY blu-ray/DVD players.
I followed carefully all the instructions above and tried all codes:
0533, 00533, 000533. Same for the other 5 codes but nothing seemed to work.
Here I have outlined the basic requirements to complete this task successfully.
It's for those like me who've found this old post and have spent a good day figuring out
how to work around it with a different One-For-All URC model.
1. You need a universal remote control "One For All" brand with the "DVD" and "Magic" buttons.
I found some: URC-3440, URC-3940, URC-7040, URC-7140, URC-7562, URC-7710, URC-7950
but any OFA RC model with those two buttons should work just fine.
2. If your remote is not one of those mentioned in the post you need to have the manual for that
particular model, or find it in the manufacturer's website. It can be downloaded as a PDF.
Your remote may use 4, 5, or 6 digit codes (see your manual).
Go under DVD codes/Sony and find the one that looks closest to 0533.
Mine was 20533.
3.Programming of the One-For-All remote is done with your SONY device plugged in the power outlet and turned off (Standby mode).
4. Other (SONY) devices connected to the player may interfere with the hack so leave just the TV connected or you can disconnect it as well.
All indications needed for the task are found on the player's display.
5. This hack doesn't work for USA (NTSC) machines.
Possible hardware incompatibility.
(Again this is for the non US BDP-S580 with URC-3940 remote)
1. Press DVD
2. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
3. Press 20533 (first Sony DVD code in the URC-3940 manual)
4. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
5. Press 994
6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
7. Press 00189 (add or subtract a zero for 6 or 4 digit coded remote)
8. Press 1 (this sets key 1 – the button flashes twice)
9. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
10. Press 994
11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
12. Press 00255 (add or subtract a zero for 6 or 4 digit coded remote)
13. Press 2 (this sets key 2 – the button flashes twice)
14. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
15. Press 994
16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
17. Press 00095 (add or subtract a zero for 6 or 4 digit coded remote)
18. Press 3 (this sets key 3 – the button flashes twice)
19. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
20. Press 994
21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
22. Press 00221 (add or subtract a zero for 6 or 4 digit coded remote)
23. Press 4 (this sets key 4 – the button flashes twice)
24. Hold the magic button until the power (or DVD) button flashes twice.
25. Press 994
26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
27. Press 00079 (add or subtract a zero for 6 or 4 digit coded remote)
28. Press 5 (this sets key 5 – the button flashes twice)
Done - the remote is now programmed and ready to use
1. Now to make your player region free use the SONY remote that came with the player to bring it out of standby (turn on) and wait while HOME is displayed
2. Make sure there isn't a disc in the machine.
3. Now on the One-For-All remote press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (You'll see OK displayed and the blue 24p light on the player will start flashing)
4. Put the player back into standby (turn off) with the SONY remote
5. The next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback
If the blue 24p light doesn't flash then it hasn't worked, try a new set of batteries and start a fresh.
Did you have a US or UK version player?
It doesn't work on US machines, all others are supported.
I guess it has something to do with the hardware used in the machine.
This hack must be working for PAL/SECAM SONY systems only.
Even if you buy one of those, it won't be of any use in the USA (where NTSC is used).
Well that stinks. So where does one get one that does work. Amazon UK?
Separate names with a comma.