Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony BDP-S350 Disc Read Error/tray won't open

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by mike_armitage, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mike_armitage

mike_armitage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Wondered if anyone has had this problem?

I got the player on monday and watched 3 blu-rays with no issue, picture and everything was great. Decided to try a standard DVD last night (pulp fiction) and it wouldn't load it. When I then tried to eject it, it just kept trying to load the disc and then said 'Cannot Play Content'. I've now returned it to Amazon with the disc still jammed in it, and have a new player on the way already, plus a credit for my lost disc (good service from them to be honest).

I've not found any other threads about the same issue, so hopefully I was just unlucky and the replacement will be fine. Bit concerned though as I had an str-dg820 amp and had to send that back because it was faulty (replaced with an Onkyo 606). Its making me wonder if Sony are just trying to manufacture stuff too cheaply these days? Obviously these are their budget offerings but you still expect stuff not to break after 2 days.

I had updated the firmware and not sure if that affected anything, but I had watched a blu-ray after that with no probs, and can't see why it would have.
  2. Hounder

Hounder Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Had to return my BDPS550 after 3 weeks as it wouldn't play my Blurays. They kept freezing and pixellating badly.

Thankfully we seem to be in the minority :smashin: and I received a replacement machine too with no problems.
  3. ewillson

ewillson Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Sony BDP-S350 a couple of weeks ago and it has worked like a dream even though I have never updated the firmware.
    Went to play a disc today and the player refuses to open the disc tray at all. It says "OPEN" and makes a whirring sound then displays the message "NO DISC". Have checked the instruction booklet and even the method Sony advise for forcing the tray to open - reinserting the power cord whilst holding down the eject button - but to no avail. Am getting the box ready to take the darn thing back to Richer Sounds.
  4. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have received my S350 from Amazon today and having been through the easy-set-up with no problems via HDMI, I have tried to play DVD and BD but every disc I put in does not work. The menu on screen does not have the BD ROM symbol but instead it says Unknown and when I put any disc in it simply comes up with the message Cannot Play Back This Disc

Any ideas? Thanks guys

Matty
  5. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    One thing that might be causing a problem; did you let the BD player come up to room temperature for a few hours after unpacking it? if not you may have condensation built up inside. It would be very cold when it arrived & presumably the house is warm. If condensation has built up on the laser/lens assembley this could be where the problem lies. I would leave it for a few hours unplugged & let the temp. stablise to see what happens.
  6. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

Thanks for this great advice. I will wait a few hours then try again.

Cheers

Matty
  7. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Hope it works mate, fingers crossed :)
  8. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still no change after several hours. I note that the disc does not even spin at all. I put the disc in in one position and when I re-open the tray there has been no rotation. Could this still be condensation on the lens/laser or is the motor not working?

Has anyone had this immediate D ERROR message come up on the front of the player? It behaves exactly the same without a disc in, with a DVD or with a BD in.

So frustrating :0(

Thanks for any advice.

Matty
  9. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    It is still possible yes, however there are two more possbile answers; a) the unit was faulty to start with or b) condensation formed & caused something to short.

If still the same this morning I think you are going to have to return it for replacement :( it's a shame because there does not appear to be many faulty ones of these but you may have drawn the short straw! hope you are soon sorted but please remember whenever you get any new kit to let the Temperature stabalise in the home for a few hours, it's just good practice & can save problems occuring.
  10. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the good advice.

On closer inspection of the box I discovered that 2 corners of one end were clearly crushed. On closer inspection on the BDP itself the end that came from the crushed box end had a severley bent and distorted corner at the back. It is clear that the unit was dropped and damaged in transit.

Amazon have dispatched another which will arrive tommorow and DHL will collect the faulty one on Friday.

I will certainly take your advice and wait a couple of hours before plumbing in the new one anyway as good practice.

Thanks again

Matty
  11. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I've got a S350 and had great BD & DVD playback from it. One issue I did have was with one of my imported australian DVD's (region 4/2) which refused to play.

The disk spins up and sounds like it is making contact with something (a circular grinding sound if that makes sense) followed by a disk unreadable error message.

Disk plays fine in both PC's (software DVD) and in a cheap DVD player and shows no sign of any kind of imbalance and there are no marks or scratches on the disk dispite the worrying grinding sound. Was an anime title (Gunsmith Cats) and I have other disks from the same publisher. No biggie as thats the only one I have a problem with but it does appear the player might naturally have an issue with some DVD's.
  12. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Sorry to hear that, hope your soon up & running mate, Amazon Customer Service excellent :) let us know how you go.
  13. d1979

d1979 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I had something similar with a DVD copy of Indiana Jones adn the crystal skulls. BD and DVD had been playing fine, then Christmas evening I put the Father in laws copy of this in and it just wouldn't read it. Then it wouldn't eject and I had to pull the mains lead before it would eject it.

If it happens again then it's going back to RS.
  14. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    For having issues with pirated DVD's? How are you gonna phrase that to them?
  15. roba666

roba666 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe he just means copy, not pirate copy.

BUT if anybody is having trouble with illegally brought pirate copies then that's just tough.

R
  16. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

New machine has just arrived by Citylink and box is intact, unlike the last one which was delivered by the dreaded HDNL who are dreadful!

I will not open it at all for at least 2 hours as per your advice.

Cheers and thanks

and Happy New Year

Matty
  17. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Glad to hear you have it safe & sound Matty, I find Citylink very good :)
  18. d1979

d1979 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, exactly that. A 'copy' of the film as in one bought from a shop ;) I can't be dealing with buying or downloading dodgy copies anymore. What's the point when you've spent so much on decent viewing equipment?
  19. matty30boy

matty30boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New machine plumbed in and working a treat! Stunning detail with Blu-ray :thumbsup:

I will let you know if mine jams with standard DVD after a few days...

Thanks all.

Matty
  20. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,593
    :smashin::)
  21. remmet

remmet Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just hooked up my new S350 and immediately had the same problem. I get the "unknown" disk indication. I tried blu-ray disks from two separate collections: Planet Earth and The Godfather, as well as a regular dvd from Netflix. The unit had been sitting in my house for several days prior to set-up, so I doubt the problem has anything to do with condensation. I tried unplugging and replugging, to no avail. The darn thing just doesn't seem to work.

What now? Send it back?

Richard
  22. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    So no go with BD or DVD? :( see what advice you get but sounds like a faulty unit...sorry.
    All the best.
  23. remmet

remmet Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If the "won't play any disks" problem with this product is not uncommon, it makes you wonder about Sony's quality control. I've never before had a dvd player that wouldn't play disks.

I spoke with the Sony service department and was advised to send it to them for repair. But I have to pay for the shipping! Wow, what a deal: I buy something that's supposed to work. It doesn't work. And I have to pay extra to make it work and lose the use of it for 2 weeks.

I guess patience is a virtue!

Richard
  24. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,840

That is tight :( have you tried contacting your retailer they might be able to do a straight swap or refund?
  25. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    sony...
  26. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    Under Sony's 12 month guarantee you will have to pay the shipping costs.

However, you should be contacting the retailer and asking them to deal with this. Under the Sale of Goods Act they will have to replace/repair/refund and cover any shipping costs.

And then I see you're in the USA and the above relates to the UK. Sorry.