1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY BDP-S300 "NO DISC" error

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by powervc, Dec 26, 2007.

1. powervc

powervc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My s300 (with v2.1 firmware) suddenly froze during playing the Happy Feet yesterday. I turned it off by pressing and holding the power button. When I trun it on again, the play show a "NO DISC" message on the front panel display as well as on the TV despite of the BluRay disc is still in it. I then tried everything to bring it back including reseting it. However, nothing worked.
    This morning I thought give it another go, but still no luck. Then a miracle happened - I put a DVD in it and turn it off then turn it back. so the player started with the DVD in it. Then it starts playing.. I tried the Happy feet again, it also played.

so has anyone have the same experience?
  2. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with a lovefilm rented DVD, I gave the disc a wipe and hey presto worked fine.
  3. powervc

powervc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    latest update:

The player frozer again during playing the same disc - when I am trying to show off my new home threater in front of a bunch of firends...Again, it shows NO DISC on the front panel after re-boot. I tried the some trick to bring it back but it didnt work this time. I contacted SONY this morning and told to send it to a local repare agent.

I feel a bit dissapointed about this product now.
  4. Thinman

Thinman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just experienced exactly the same problem. Did you ever get it sorted? I have the additional problem of my player being a US import, so UK repair shops won't touch it!
  5. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson Member

Ratings:
    +78
    I have this problem too on a Region A BDP-S300.
    Does anyone know how to fix it?
    I wondered if it was a dirty sensor or something that needed cleaning.
    Alan
  6. runningsamevans

runningsamevans Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Had this problem. I bought original unit from Currys had it 11ish months so thought it would still be under guarentee and had 'No Disc'. Did the usual cleaned disc etc but to no avail. Rang Currys and told them I had bought it from them and this error had appeared but did not have reciept - he clicked away and found my purchase (v suprised) and said that is a Cat B fault and that it is to be returned and replacement fitted as the Blu ray drive had gone:thumbsdow.....Took to shop they could have been more helpful, they said that the original unit isn't sold anymore, so he gave me a voucher and told me to browse the players in store and pick one up to value of £299 - (I didnt pay that for the S300 a year ago!) So I picked up the S350 for £199 and got £100 cashback:clap: RESULT. So in essence your drive in knackered and if it is an import and no-one will touch it goto Amazon and get a S350 for £160 free delivery.
  7. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Chaps,
    I have some useful feedback for those of us with Region A Sony BDP-S300 players and a 'no disc' problem.
    The Bad news:
    The drive has gone

The Good News:
    I took the drive out of a working (but out of warranty) Region B S300 and fitted it to the Region A player. I tested it with the Region A locked disc of 'Moonraker'. It worked. The region coding data must be held on a chip on the main board rather than the drive.

So rather than buy another expensive Region A player (with the £ enjoying parity with shirt buttons and bottle tops currently), buy a working secondhand UK machine and swap the drive over.

Here's how I did it:
    Please note that you do this at your own risk and I accept no liability for anyone's ham-fistedness, but it worked for me.
    A little tip. Power the player up and eject the drawer first. Power off the player. Turn it upside down and you'll see the little clip locks that hold the drawer front in place. They only need prising to one side to release the front.
    But to get it off, you need to use a small pair of long nosed pliers to unclip the two tiny springs that give it some tension.
    After that, remove the main cover screws - one either side and three on the back of the unit. Remove the cover. Pull it back and tilt up at the rear.
    Then to remove the front control panel, gently prise the spring clips past their locating lugs. There are two on top, two underneath and one either side.
    I undid one side first as the clips kept clicking back in place, then the other side. The gloss black front panel will gently pull off.
    You'll see two screws that go through from the front to hold the drive caddy in place. Remove them.
    Gently but firmly ( I used large long nosed pliers) remove the drive's power plug, then disconnect the IDE cable and cable retaining clip. Remove the four screws holding the drive caddy to the chassis.
    The caddy will pull back and up to release.
    It's easy when you've done it once.
    Re-assembly is simply the reverse of the above.
    Be meticulous about saving all the screws.

Good luck.

Alan
    Please note I provide this information as an individual with the sole intention of helping others and in no way can AVForums be held liable for any damage you may do to your property.