Sony 2014 W7 / W8 (1080p Edge LED TV) Owner's Thread

What a load of tosh! No offence mate but theyve told people this before. The truth is that "200hz" is only possible with led motion mode enabled,which is awful. The tv is 50/60hz native but does perform ok with motion to be fair.
Dont be sorry its not what they told me :D Its someone else on the sony site community forum. Just thought id post that as apparently the tech team told that person this stuff.

Dont be sorry its not what they told me :D Its someone else on the sony site community forum. Just thought id post that as apparently the tech team told that person this stuff.

Oh right,haha,didnt realise. It does annoy me that they say that to people thought. Theyre either poorly trained or downright lying!

The w6 is a great little tv in its own right though,but is defo not 200hz.

Also ghostrider , my post number 240 if you saw that one bottom of page 8. That was also taken from the same sony community forum beats me how a tech team dont know how the tv's work and function. If they dont who does haha

Bring back the days when tech people knew there stuff i say :D Reviews allover do say the w653 is a great tv though.

Also ghostrider , my post number 240 if you saw that one bottom of page 8. That was also taken from the same sony community forum beats me how a tech team dont know how the tv's work and function. If they dont who does haha
Sony Tech support, like all major brands, is useless. These companies farm it all out to third parties

Sony Tech support, like all major brands, is useless. These companies farm it all out to third parties
Yeah there be a couple of guys in Japan who actually know what there talking about. Will be it through out all of sony :D

I am hoping to get it this weekend if the tracking is right, bud! Will post a full report on here at some stage

Nice one. I hope you get it this weekend,and more importantly i hope youre happy with it! :D

I'm sure someone mentioned on here that Sony had an agenda to improve panel uniformity, looking on other forums it seems that most people are pleased with the uniformity of this year's TVs, I certainly am. Have to say that the W829 is just awesome, the more I use it the more impressed I am. It's definitely the best TV I have ever used for gaming. I would say motion on it is quite a lot better than last year's w6

Tiny box and was as light as a feather, felt more like a 32"...
IMG_1203.JPG

Downward facing HDMI, Sat and Freeview Antenna connections...
IMG_1224.JPG

Stand assembly requires you to attach these metal brackets which then get screwed in to the back of the TV...
IMG_1228.JPG

Wall mount accessories/adaptors...
IMG_1230.JPG

Power brick. Cable is about 4ft in length to the brick, but the brick uses a radio type lead so you could always use a longer one there if need be...
IMG_1243.JPG

Bezel is much slimmer than a Blu-ray case and solid metal (aluminium). Has a kind of silver effect on the top edge trim. Stand base is also solid metal.
IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1239.JPG

50" looks more like a 46". Hopefully it will look BIG when there's a picture on it! Panel is semi-gloss, not really glass like at all. Doesn't sit the most solid on its table top stand, but provided you don't knock it hard it will be ok.
IMG_1244.JPG

Slim and slick plastic back. Doesn't creak or feel wobbly. Influenced by the Samsung clean back look...?
IMG_1242.JPG

Remote is the standard Sony stick... not the most stylish but never any hassle. They've added Football, Discover, Netflix and a few other smart TV shortcuts. That's the new TV one on the right....
IMG_1248.JPG

Great pictures, thanks for that loopthrough :)

When you stand at the side and look directly down the line of the top bezel, is it perfectly straight ?

Mine had a kink towards the far right end and I'm hoping it was a one off lol

Great pictures, thanks for that loopthrough :)

When you stand at the side and look directly down the line of the top bezel, is it perfectly straight ?

Mine had a kink towards the far right end and I'm hoping it was a one off lol
No problem! There's no kink on it mate.

There is NO Dynamic Edge LED setting, so the backlight is obviously just "frame dimming", so the manual got that bit wrong. The viewing angle seems a bit narrow, but I will check this further. The sound quality is crap, tbh, and much worse than even low end Sonys. All hollow and echoes... no amount of adjusting fixes it!

There is NO Dynamic Edge LED setting, so the backlight is obviously just "frame dimming", so the manual got that bit wrong. The viewing angle seems a bit narrow, but I will check this further. The sound quality is crap, tbh, and much worse than even low end Sonys. All hollow and echoes... no amount of adjusting fixes it!
Thats a bit of a let down about the sound quality. I use my 5.1 system anyway though. Have you had chance to check picture quality yet?

Sound is decent on mine, no worse than last year's for sure

Didn't even realise it has a Freesat tuner too. Will you be making use of that Loopthrough?. It would be interesting to compare the image quality from both tuners.

Looking at that side profile, I made a rough image to see how it would look wall mounted

I'm hoping it won't 'look' so far out in reality, but on the bright side, there's plenty of room for cables lol

Attachments

• Sony profile.jpg
    Sony profile.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,864
Last edited:
All looks nice so far. Sound will be variable obviously depending on the source tested obviously , cable box sky built in tuners e.t.c There never going to be great though the built in speakers most people who buy this tv will have separate speakers and amps dealing with sound though.

Sound is decent on mine, no worse than last year's for sure

Really happy with the sound quality on mine too, same as or a little better than the 47w805 ir replaced.

I've had it quite a few days now and I'm still not sure how happy I am with it.

I still have a 47w805 downstairs and I just feel the build quality was better on it (the w829 feels so flimsy), the HD somehow looks sharper on the w805 (this could be my setup but I've tested like for like - same channel etc - is it the fact the w829 is 50" ?) and it doesn't have the slow reposnse intially on the remote on start-up.

Screen uniformity is definitely better (not blown away by the blacks myself either) but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Still very undecided with it in all honesty.

Last edited:
Another point sound has a tendency to grown on you ive heard built in tv speakers thinking there utter crap but after further listening they arent so bad. After testing though then I dont use the tv speakers no more lol

Really happy with the sound quality on mine too, same as or a little better than the 47w805 ir replaced.

I've had it quite a few days now and I'm still not sure how happy I am with it.

I still have a 47w805 downstairs and I just feel the build quality was better on it (the w829 feels so flimsy), the HD somehow looks sharper on the w805 (this could be my setup but I've tested like for like - same channel etc - is it the fact the w839 is 50" ?) and it doesn't have the slow reposnse intially on the remote on start-up.

Screen uniformity is definitely better (not blown away by the blacks myself either) but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Still very undecided with it in all honesty.
Maybe the 3 inch would make some difference for SD but not for the HD. This all sure is tough now im buying a new tv by early/mid april and its hard work :D The old ips vs VA panel again too maybe that. Why the hell isnt there a panel by now that does everything really well its annoying.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom