Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonos...

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by a l e x, Dec 2, 2012.

1. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +645
    So... The gf is going on about wanting a Sonos system... One speaker in the bedroom, one in the living room, one in the kitchen.

Now, the question I have is downstairs we already have a Denon 1912 + B&W 685/686 and 608 sub which we stream music to from iPhones/iPads etc as well as movies.

How would the sonos play 3 compare to the existing set up?

Also, is it possible to add existing amp/speakers system to sonus so we could stream to both the downstairs set up and one upstairs?

Thanks!
  2. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'd suggest going for a sonos play unit in the bedroom and kitchen and then the sonos connect unit linked as a source to your av receiver connected to one of the inputs.

Can stream independently to any of the units.
  3. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +645
    Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was leaning towards.

Once cinema room is set up upstairs I think the gf is wanting to get rid of speakers down here... My main question really is how does the sonos compare?

The way I see it is 3 options down here...

1. Current Denon 1912 + B&W 685s (and Sonos connect)
    2. Sonos connect amp + B&W 685s
    3. Sonos play 5

Of the above, purely from a music point of view which is likely to be the best?

Thanks.
  4. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Not sure how the amp in the connect amp unit will compare to the amp you have now, but that's always going to sound better than the play 5.

Play 5 is a great unit, but its not going to reproduce music as well as an amplified set of speaker in my opinion. You won't get the stereo separation.
  5. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Forget to say. For ease of use. The connect amp and speakers combo would work best. It's active all the time where using the receiver you have to keep switching that off and on etc so less easy to use for the gf?
  6. a l e x

a l e x Active Member

Ratings:
    +645
    Thanks again. Will have a think. If the sonos would sound better then I'd be tempted to switch but if not then will probably stick with what I have to keep the 5.1.

How does the connect link up to the receiver? It's only got one optical and that's in use so I hope it's not that!
  7. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Optical, coax or plain old stereo RCA :)
  8. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
    Aye, the ladies have never understood 'stereo' :)
  9. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah optical or coax will use the dac in the denon. Or RCA will use the dac in the connect. The denon should have a coax digital input too according to the specs, and this dac should (only going on expense) sound better than the Sonos dac. But try both ways and see what you think.