Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONOS vs BOSE vs ?

Discussion in 'Apple Products & Services' started by bearsparko, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bearsparko

bearsparko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash to buy a ipod/ipad dock as our primary music source.

But of all the systems i am looking at none seem to have the combination of features which I am looking for, in summary;
    1. I have all my music in MP3 format
    2. I either listen through my MacBook, Ipod Nano, Wifes Ipod Classic or my current device of choice is my Ipad.
    3. I would like a portable device i.e. battery powered as well as mains
    4. I think that wireless/Bluetooth would be useful as i am not so keen on the docks which have Ipad plugged into the front of them.

My current short-list includes;
    1. Bose SoundDock Portable - the problem being how do I use it with my Ipad? Is there some way of connecting a 3rd party Bluetooth dongle to it?
    2. Sonos Play 5 - No battery.....

Are there any devices that the Users would recommenced I audition?

Thanks.
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    You probably want to look at Airplay compatible devices, I assume your MacBook is using iTunes? AFAIK, you can stream from an iPad to an Airplay compatible set of speakers with a battery - for example iHome iW1
  3. JemTheWire

JemTheWire Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Bosé SoundDock 10. I connected to my network via an Apple AirPort Express (2nd Gen) and use my Remote app (free) on my iPhone to play music perfectly from iTunes. The SoundDock 10 has an AUX input as well as the docking shoe.

As amcluesent says, AirPlay is the better way to go. B&W Zeppelin is highly rated and I believe the latest version supports AirPlay
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  4. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    If you want a flexible and expandable system them you cannot beat Sonos. You could start with just a 5 then later when money allows buy another. That would give you either another zone in your house or you can pair them for a stereo pair. Drive the music from iPhone or pad or PC/Mac plus stream millions of Internet stations, add NAS drives and stream from that really easily. It has far more longer term flexibility than a sound dock of any other manufacturer. But does not offer you battery power or a dedicated iPhone dock.
  5. Norman

Norman Member

Ratings:
    +110
    +1 for Sonos.
    I've had mine for several years now with multiple zones throughout the house and it works brilliantly. Sonos also support their products really well with regular software updates adding new features all the time. The iPad / iPhone app is also very good so don't worry about having to buy Sonos's own (very expensive) controller.
    Finally, you get top-notch build quality and like Apple stuff, its simplicity itself to setup and use.
  6. bearsparko

bearsparko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, some interesting stuff to ponder.

Last night I also cam across the Arcam rcube which using the wireless dongle on either my ipad/ipod or macbook seems to fulfil all my requirements including a battery for portability, and the reviews seem very positive.

Only one thing lfet to do, go and listen to them all!!

7. dannius

dannius Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    If you like the look of a Bose unit they do the Soundlink as well, I don't have one but it looks very portable and can be used with any Bluetooth enabled device.

I've got a Panasonic Bluetooth dock, probably not in the same class as the ones mentioned but BT streaming does the job for me.
  8. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +963
    Sonos- Brilliant system, true multi room, Internet radio as well as music subscriptions services.
  9. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +989
    The sonos utterly spanks the Bose.
  10. Andyw73

Andyw73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had both the iw1 and the Bose sound link. In fact I had two iw1s both suffered major dropouts and trouble connecting, idea was great, but in practice wasn't and support is non existence. After returning the second one, decided to try the Bose, as already said works with Bluetooth. Never had a problem with it and to my untrained ear seems a more than capable speaker
  11. RajP

RajP Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,809
    Another + for Sonos... Since buying it, never looked back..
  12. Jamesie M

Jamesie M Member

Ratings:
    +13
    sonos....multiroom and also mobile with play 3 and play 5. Controlling apps are fantastic and sync with mac itunes library with ease. Stream napster or spotify through the iphone controller brilliantly.

Can't see anything else so simple and well designed