Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonos CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, SUB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32 Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm looking at stream music through my amp and have a wired network point right next to it. I'm more concerned about audio quality that anything else and ideally I'd like to be able to use Spotify. I was looking at Squeezebox but as it's not being made anymore I'm kind of put off that Idea.

I'm looking to spend no more than £300
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    Sonos can use S/PDIF or analogue input on the AV Receiver, treat it as a CD player.
  3. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,305
    Sonos has just announced a software update which allows you to stream music from a compatible ios device (iPad or iPod etc). This means that people don't need to have their music on a computer or NAS drive for Sonos to stream it now.
  4. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    That must be their solution to the hardware headache they (and countless others have) with Apple's miniturisation of their stock connector. It's not worth their while bothering to design and tool up another dock if it can be done wirelessly. Plus it means you can keep your device close to you to use the other functions.

Sonos have moved pretty quick on that.
  5. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,305
    Indeed, connecting directly to these devices via your home wireless network is a good solution to all the hardware connection hassle. Obviously your wifi needs to be reliable though :)
    Edit - this is not something I'd ever use but I can see it being useful for a lot of younger users who don't want to be bothered ripping FLAC files to a NAS drive.
  6. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah I agree, Nas or Computer is the more stable and household solution. But loads of kids just download directly to their local devices.

Also great for 2 other reasons. Parents can keep their collections a safe distance away from their kids satanic noise pollution. If Sonos do it the same way as the dock, then the music on the local device will appear separate to the library.
    And also, great for parties when your friends bring iPods etc round.
  7. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I think if you want something that can play CD quality rips at a decent level, and also has spotify, there's only the 2 options you've mentioned. I'm not aware of others atm. Don't write off squeezebox altogether though. It will remain extremely well supported by the 3rd party community for many years to come. And you can get some amazing bargains.

You might want to consider a separate Dac if you go down the connect route. It's good without but not great. Depends on the rest of your equipment and you're expectations of course.
  8. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +951
    Just updated, awesome upgrade!
  9. DANDAN81

DANDAN81 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all. im currently in the process of buying some sonos kit.and need some advice please.
    my set up is as follows.;
    lounge- i have a pair of monitor audio rs1 standmount speakers,driven through a sony 5200es surround amp with cambridge audio cd player linked to the amp.
    i also have a seperate room with a pair of pmc DB1i (just bought and not got them yet) but have nothing else.
    so for the lounge i will get a connect/zp90 to run along side my amp and rs1's!
    but what about the other room using the higher quality pmc speakers? should i buy a used integrated amp and a connect? or just a connect amp/zp120?
    i may want to put a cd player in there also if that alters things.budget around £500. cheers
  10. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    I'd get a stereo amp for the PMC. Bear in mind the Connect:amp analogue input is actually an ADC:DAC, so that's a lot of additional processing for the CD feed.
  11. DANDAN81

DANDAN81 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. DANDAN81

DANDAN81 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no.when i rip cd's to flac then updete my playlist.it does it automatically!
  13. merlincoops

merlincoops Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Picked up a sonos connect yesterday and after some faffing about got it all connected to ipad, android phone and laptop (windows). All was working brilliantly until today (lasted a long time didn't it!), now the laptop and phone connect faultlessly but the ipad drops it's connection and refuses to find the sonos, uninstall and reinstall of app sometimes works but not all the time. Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms???

Going to occupy myself putting a new bearing in my decidedly untechy record player now

Edit - the sonos will not find my computers stored itunes library either.............
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  14. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    Yep, Sonos Support. 0808 234 6596. It's what you've paid for!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. merlincoops

merlincoops Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks, spent an hour on the phone yesterday! Apparently my router is/was running two networks at the same time???:blush:
    I am assuming the number is free..........
  16. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    Chances are you will have a 'guest' SSID (wi-fi name) switched on, esp. if you have a BT supplied device.
  17. merlincoops

merlincoops Member

Ratings:
    +23
    It's an aol unit. Why did my wife's best friend ditch her computer genius husband:laugh::laugh: oh that's right he was a muppet! I have very little ability to go into my router and sort it out so I will ring sonos tomorrow.
  18. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
    One for peeps thinking about a DAC for the Sonos CONNECT or ZP80 - Arcam SonLink uses the Arcam rLink DAC housed in a custom built enclosure

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  19. jont

jont Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Now that's a neat solution - kudos to Arcam for recognising the synergy between two manufacturer's products and designing their's to complement the other ...

Only thing I can't find on the Arcam site or rStore is the damn price !!
  20. Stu_M3

Stu_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +119
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. jont

jont Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    nice ... it's birthday time in a couple of weeks and MrsT was just asking what I want ;-)
  22. fuzzybk

fuzzybk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Just purchased an Arcam rDAC for my Sonos Connect. I wanted the rDAC over the rLink because I wanted the Wolfson 8741 chip as opposed to the Texas Instuments PCM5102. Have the Wolfson 8741 in my DV139 and CD17 so I know what it is capable of.

The rDAC has done a wonderfful job with my flac files through the Sonos. :smashin:
  23. smokingreen

smokingreen Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I do like the look of the SonLink, but it is ~£50 more than the rLink for exactly the same DAC with less flexibility albeit in a prettier box.

I may see if I can get a demo to see if I can even hear the difference between the internal DAC in the in the Connect and the SonLink.
  24. adamski420

adamski420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am the worst kind of tech user in that I have some knowledge but not nearly enough to make properly informed choices, I usually search forums for the answer but cannot kind anything specific about my question below:

I want to install 4 Kef Ci200QRs in my new kitchen and power them with a sonos amp. They are 8ohm speakers so in parallel it should work on paper. HAving spoken to the Kef guys they suggested the 160s as opposed to the 200s (both are 8ohm) saying it would be easier to handle, given they both have the same rating I don't quite understand this. He couldn't provide an explanation.

Also the kef wiring guide shows how to wire something in series/parallel as if it is one option. I thought they were fundamentally different. With in series being a way around a weak amp (giving a loss in sound/volume) and in parallel being the preferred option as long as the load is sufficient.

Anyway I throw myself down to the community for some proper advice. The kitchen is approx 7m by 4m with a seating area as well. I am a bit of a snob when it come to music and really want the best system I can afford with I beleive I am getting with kef.

thanks in advance

Ad
  25. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +884
  26. Hockeynut

Hockeynut Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've had a Sonos S5 for some time, but have been eyeing up a Sonos Connect for some time, to wire into my Onkyo 605 AMP, to use the speakers I already have in the lounge for my Home Cinema. My hesitation has only ever been around volume control, and I've been meaning to ask for ages.

How do you deal with the volume that you have on the Amp and the one in the Remote control App on my Sonos Controller/Phone? Because it's one of those situations where you have 2 volume controlling, which always feels messy.
  27. smokingreen

smokingreen Member

Ratings:
    +34
    You have two options:

1) Control the volume from both the sonos app and the amp, but as you said this can be a little messy but does work.

2) Set the output form the connect to 'fixed', then just use the amp to control the volume - this is what I do. It is then like any other component that is hooked up to the amp.
  28. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I used to leave the volume on the amp fixed and control the volume on the sonos as sonos was my only source and I meant I could control all rooms in one place.

But then I bought a dac with a pre amp so I then had yet another volume to control. Ahhhh! Because I had multiple sources going to the dac I decided to fix the sonos volume and use the dac remote instead.
  29. smarty

smarty Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone know how this or the rDac would sound compared to feeding an optical signal into an AVR300 receiver?
  30. smarty

smarty Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone know if Sonos have plans for a black Connect?
    Can't understand why they don't already do one when they do the P3 and P5 in black. Also, who else makes (or wants) white AV equipment? A white one would stand out like a sore thumb on my equipment stand.