Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonos CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, SUB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Jun 9, 2012.

1. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +891
  2. BST

BST Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a SONOS Connect used in conjunction with A Yamaha 471AV receiver and Dali Zensor floorstand speakers.

I would like to use the Sonos to connect some outside speakers using existing speakers and wiring which terminate where the sonos box is.

The Yamaha doesn't support 2 Zones so I thought my options are;

1) Buy a speaker switch - not too keen on this as the cheap ones I've seen look poor quality and I'd rather spend the money i might spend on a more expensive switch on buying a Play 3/5 speaker to set up another Zone internally.

2) Use an existing old and unused NAD amp and connect the Analogue output on the SONOS, whilst still having the Optical Out connected to the Yamaha.

This is my preferred option as it won't cost anything, but I'm not sure if a)it will work, b) will I break something if I have both amps running at the same time - not that this is my intention - in this case it will either be Zone A or B playing?

Any views?
  3. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Are you on a tight budget? If not, the easiest route is to buy another connect and plug that into your other amp. Second hand, you can get one for just over £200 on auction sights.
  4. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Will option 2 work? Yes, the outputs all operate all the time allowing you to connect to multiple amps, both at the same time is also fine.

For example I have a Connect connected by digital to my AVR and by analogue to an Outcast iCast transmitter for my Outcast wireless outdoor speaker. I can play either or both at once without any issues.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. BST

BST Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Will set it up at the weekend.
  6. bigbex

bigbex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All

I have a Qnap NAS with a folder called MUSIC. In this folder I have one folder called FLAC and one folder called MP3 (there are other folders which can be ignored for this question).

I want to buy a Sonos ZP90/Connect and want to know if the Sonos could read both the FLAC folder AND the MP3 folder and keep them separate?

I have more music in my MP3 folder than the FLAC folder but I want to be able to listen to a FLAC file instead of the same MP3 file where available.

Is this possible? If so how?

Many thanks
  7. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +891
    AFAIK, Sonos can't index two identically tagged files and prioritise the lossless over the lossy encoding, but no streamer has that ability!
  8. bigbex

bigbex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    OK. So I guess I need to rename my MP3 files as artist-track-songthen mp3 and leave the FLAC files and non-duplicated MP3 files as they are. Can I then get the Sonos to ignore any track with mp3 in the title?
  9. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316

No, Sonos does not care what file names are used, it creates its index from the metadata tags only. So if you have two files with different file names but the same tags/metadata then Sonos will index the first but ignore the second meaning only one of the files ends up in the music library index. You cannot create exclusion lists as part of the indexing process either.

The only way to do what you want is to copy the folders of MP3 files into your Flac folder to fill in the missing albums at the expense of keeping the data twice. As it is mp3 at least it will not take up too much space and you will have a complete library for use with Sonos.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. bigbex

bigbex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks neilball. I'm probably being thick but I currently have my music as nas/music/flac and nas/music/mp3 with this in mind could I then create 2 shares which would allow me to select which folder I wanted to listen to? ......or have I still not got it?
  11. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    no, Sonos will consolidate into a single library, and as you can't guarantee the order the directories will be scanned in you may not get the Flac first.

You could try add the flac and mp3 separately. You could add the flac and then add mp3 and see if the mp3 override the duplicates. If it doesnt then your good to go, if not reverse the procedure add mp3 and then add flac which will overwrite the mp3 metadata.
  12. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Also worth mentioning, you can't point sonos at a folder within a drive, only the whole drive. So it will index all the mp3s and flacs anyway, but as said above, you won't know which one without changing the meta data.

Obviously there is an easy way around this, you just need to mount another drive on your nas and put mp3 folder on one, and flac on the the other.
  13. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    With the new Sonos 3.8 software update you can now specify folders within a share, look up the release notes on the Sonos website for details.
  14. bigbex

bigbex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all. I think I'll get the ZP90 and have a little experiment.
  15. gylonso

gylonso Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have recently got a Play:5 and have been in contact with Sonos support asking the same question as you with regards to FLAC and mp3 files (I have the same set up with all my cd's ripped to FLAC and mp3 in seperate folders, but also additional tracks just in the mp3 folder). Their response was

Dear Sonos Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sonos technical support.

Sonos will index every track that is in a compatible format and stored in the folder that you shared for Sonos. In your case that means that Sonos will index all tracks double. In this case you should create three different Music Librarys, one for the FLAC Files, one for the MP3 Copys and one for the MP3's you purchased. You can then add only the FLAC and the purchased MP3 Folders to the Sonos System.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

--------
    Sonos Support

However, (I do need to check this but haven't had time yet) when I use the android app to control the Sonos I only get one version of each track and I think it is always the FLAC version (using the PC controller or Apple app you do get 2 copies of each track).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  16. bigbex

bigbex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting stuff. I think neilball was saying something similar so it looks like what I want is possible in a round about kind of way.

You'd think this would be easier as ripping your CD's in Flac and then converting to MP3 for portable devices seems the most logical thing in the world to me. Also is having them on the same NAS. Also is having more MP3's than Flac as most people are bound to have downloaded music that isn't available on Flac and can't be found on CD these days.

I can't believe it's that difficult to have 2 separate folders to choose from and just flick between them on a Sonos system, but thanks gylonso as that answers my question.
  17. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    My collection is arranged in exactly the same way :) Though mine is more complicated as I also separate out depending on source - so flac from CD or flac from hires sites (so I can demo 24 bit audio) so I know I cant re-rip if there is an issue and have to re-download them or they're from itunes etc
  18. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Well my Sub arrived yesterday and last night I had a good play with it.

I tried it in several rooms - a couple of rooms have good quality in-ceiling speakers (8" units with an srp of £500/pair) driven by a ZP120/Connect), a couple of rooms with single Play5s, and a room with a stereo pair of Play3s.

Following the official 3.8 software update it was very straight forward to add the sub to the room, and with the option of guided setup to adjust speaker size, phase and gain or more standard options under the advanced room options the Sub was quickly integrated into the room and running well. It will not satisfy the traditional subwoofer techies who like to dial in the absolute maximum performance and integration form their setups, the lack of controls might be a limitation for them, but for the average user it seems a breeze to set up.

First impressions are very good, the effect is immediate and a great improvement to the overall sound. I'll admit that I am a bit of a bass junkie (being a fan/user of Velodyne DD+ and SVS units for my surround setups) and find that the Sub works very well for music. My music library is pretty conventional, but having tried it with a range of tracks from Muse, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, AC-DC and Paulo Nuttini, it simply and effectively did its job. It is certainly not into overblown/flabby bass nor a seismic monster like the larger DD+ or SVS-Ultra, but for a music environment seems perfectly matched. I tried it in both horizontal and vertical orientations, in a corner, mid-wall, and even under a sofa! In all cases provided the gain was not set to ridiculous levels it remained impossible to localise.

The only problem is going to be deciding where to leave it long term, as once removed from a room you really notice that it is missing. I suppose that is the reason that Sonos has worked so hard on the Sub because I guess that once you've demoed it in your own system then it will be a wrench for most people to hand it back!

Apart from cost (although in the realms of good quality subwoofers it is good value), or limited colour options (shame there are no current plans for a gloss white unit, that would have been my preference for the majority of my rooms where it will be on show) there is nothing negative I've found about it in the short while I've been using it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. bradys2003

bradys2003 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I currently have a Sonos connect amp with 2 Kef floorstanders in one room....another couple of Sonos Play 3's in other rooms. In the main room I am thinking about getting the Sonos sub to give more bass to the speakers and wondered what the general opinion was on this? It sounds good as it is but with more bass I am sure would sound fantastic. Does anyone know if the Sonos Sub is aimed at those with the Play 3 and 5's rather than the Connect Amp with speakers?

Thanks!
  20. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I think when it was launched, I read that it only works with play 3s and 5s. Have a look on the Sonos website.
  21. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    It also works with the ZP120/Connect:Amp, but not the ZP90/Connect. So the Sonos Sub will work with any of the Sonos zone players that have an integrated amplifier, but not with the zone player that needs an external amplifier.

I'm using the Sub right now with my ZP120 and in-ceiling speakers in my Kitchen/Dining Room and it brilliant :). If you have a local friendly Sonos dealer they may be prepared to offer a home demo so you can try it with your own speakers, if not then you might need to think about buying from Sonos direct where you can use their 30 day returns policy if you decide it is not for you.
  22. andyuk

andyuk Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I am also planning on starting a Sonos home system. I have the following at the moment: -

1. iPad / IPhone / Mac
    2. Spotify Premium (extreme playback quality)

I currently use airplay to Apple TV to go through my home theatre system but this is set up in the lounge & I often listen to music when I am in the kitchen or bedroom so I currently use earphones. So ideally want to start a Sonos system maybe 1 to start with then go from there.

I also understand that I can get a DAB through the sonos system can I check that this includes the usual channels like Radio 1, 2, Talk Sport etc? Or if not can I stream iplayer/talksport app from my iPhone to the sonos as well as spotify/iTunes?

Because I will be using spotify premium direct to the sonos would a proper music streamer be beneficial or not?

Lastly is the play 5 worth the extra ££ than the play 3?

Thanks
    Andy
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  23. Sainty

Sainty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Obviously I'm new to this but I'll help on the bits that I can.

You can stream internet radio through the Sonos via tunein so you can listen to whatever you like. I think that you can use the line in function to stream anything you can send to it.

It probably depends on the size of your room as to whether you go for the 3 or the 5, I went for the 5 because it's bigger and therefore must be better ;-)

If you do go for it I'm sure you wont be disappointed, I'm also sure that if you get it you'll walk around your house with your phone changing the volume and selecting music.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  24. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +891
    Sonos isn't a DAB radio. There are internet streams of BBC, but the internet streams of live matches and other events may be disabled due to licensing rules.

Only if you dock the iPhone (not 5) in the Sonos dock.

TBH, you may be better looking at Airplay compatible units for streaming and which will play from the iPhone, since you already have Apple TV. The B&W Zeppelin Air for example.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  25. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    You could plug an Airport Express into Line-In on a Play 5 enable Autoplay and then use Airplay to stream iPlayer/talksport. Obviously cheaper to just go Airport Express but having previously been an Airplay zealot I have to say I'm quite impressed since beginning to move over to Sonos.

Definite boost in reliability over the Apple options.
  26. Dans1982

Dans1982 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having read many of the threads on Sonos products I still have a couple of questions which I'm hoping someone may be able to help with...

1. Is it possible to hook up a set of head phones to a Sonos connect? An adamptor maybe required but has anyone achived this? I play the drums so music from the speaker and head phones at the same time is a requirement.

2. Is there anything on the market that will allow an amp+speaker system connected to a Sonos connect to auto-turn off? For example when the sonos is set to go to sleep after 45 mins, is there a plug devise that will also turn off the amp+ speakers?

Other than that... looks like I'll be investing in a few bits of Sonos kit in the near future! :thumbsup:
  27. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,322
    It depends which zoneplayer you are going for. The Play5 has a headphone socket and the Sonos Connect needs to connect to a hifi amp so you would have a headphone socket on that hifi amp I assume.

The Connect:Amp does not have a headphone socket sadly, I really wish it did because I'd buy a couple more of these if that were the case.
  28. Dans1982

Dans1982 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback - does the Play 5 continue to play out of the speakers at the same time if headpones are connected? - This is what I'm trying to achieve.

My amp is very basic 5.1 setup, with normal plug connections for each speaker only.

Another questions sorry - If I connect my pc to a zonebridge via eithernet, does this mean the sonos network can then access the drives on that pc via the hardwire connection rather than via wifi?
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  29. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +590
    Hi Dans1982,

I've just plugged some headphones into our Play 5 which is also hooked up to a Sonos Sub and it instanly kills the volume coming out the both the Play 5 and sub, I don't actually know how you'd get around that tbh.

As far as I'm aware the Zonebridge is only designed to be plugged direct into your router, I've got most of our Sonos hardwired here which negates the use of the Zonebridge and it can read the music on my pc via the network rather than wireless.
  30. shaun19

shaun19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, i have a Panasonic TXP50GT50B connected to a Onkyo TXSR313, with a Onkyo BDSP309 and a Sonos Connect . I have a couple of problems.
    1 : How do i connect the Sonos so the Audio can be heard without the TV being on ???
    2 : When the TV is in Interactive the audio only comes from the TV's speakers not the ceiling speakers connected to the Onkyo

thanks in advance.[​IMG]