Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONOS / Bang & Olufsen / AV help

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by k3wt, Jul 9, 2011.

1. k3wt

k3wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people

I hope to set up a room in an apartment which has been wired up with Systemline Modular (i believe it is CAT5 cabling?). For a brief period I looked into how I could benefit from this but seems its only ideal if I were to use the Systemline products itself which doesnt seem to be all that great? Would I be correct in saying that?

What I have narrowed it down to for the living room is to get a Sonos ZP90 and link it to a good AV receiver (not sure what to do about this one yet) a pair of Beolab 8000 speakers for up front and in the future a pair of Beolab 3's mounted on the rear wall. Centre speaker is also undecided but might be a Beolab 7. Subwoofer would be a Beolab 11. They are all active loudspeakers so I would need to use pre-outs, if I am not mistaken. As for the TV I think I have decided on the 50" Panasonic VT30.

First off is there any problems you might see with this? I know Sonos is 2 channel only for music playback (however I could change that to playback on all speakers on the receiver?) but should a movie be playing the receiver should be able to do its job correctly for all available channels?

The only other option I wouldnt mind is to keep the Sonos, TV, AV receiver and Beolab 8000s at the front but replace the subwoofer, centre and rears for Anthony Gallo speakers as everything else I have seen so far looks a bit obscene for me :)

Sorry for my confusion and multiple questions.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:
  2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Hi K3wt

I've haven't heard of Systemline products so i can't comment if they are better, worse or same as the Sonos, but If it uses standard Cat 5, then the Sonos and other similar products should work.

It is recommend that the center speaker be the same make and possibly range, as the fronts for best tonal balance, so i would suggest the Beolab 7. Another brand will bring it own tonal sound which could be complimentry, or cause havoc with the harmony. Best try before buy if you can, then decide.

The tonal balance of the rears are not so important as the front 3 so long as they are not 2 tin cups with string attached and of decent sq ,they can be whatever brand that does the job

Part 1: - I believe most if not all AV's have a mode to play on all channels which will probably be in mono. On my av its called '7 ch Enhancer'

Part2: As in to produce surround sound - Yes. You can manually changes the mode or It may do this automatically once the channel the dvd is connected to on the av is configured.

I think the question that needs to be asked is which AV suits those speakers best. The answer may be best found in the AV Amplifiers and Receivers Forum at AVForums.com section.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. k3wt

k3wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. I will ask the question over there :)
  4. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    No Probs. If you ask the powers that be nicely, they may move this thread for you.

All the best with your search :thumbsup: