1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So which is the best digi box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by Rushy, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Rushy

Rushy Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I recently purchased a panasonic TUC20 and have had what seems like an endless amount of problems with it before it finally died the other day. I have taken it back and received a refund and I am looking to purchase another freeview box to replace it.

But, which is the best box on the market (for approximately £100), as I have trawled the web reading reviews and opinions, and there seems to be varying reviews and responses on each box.

So what do you think is the best box around? And does anyone have any handy links for set top box reviews?

Thx in advance.
  2. installer09

installer09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well ive fitted loads of Grundigs and had no problems , ive also fitted quite a few Panasonics and they have been fine too ( maybe you were just unlucky ) the only one I dont like much is the Pace , crap connections on it.
  3. Rushy

Rushy Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Been looking more towards the Nokia 221T after trawling the web this afternoon. It seems to have won many awards and be universally popular (although it is a little more expensive).

Does anyone own the Nokia 221T? Annd if so what do you think of it? And where did you buy it from?

and plz continue to coment on all the other boxes
  4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a Nokia 9850T soon to be collected by Grant Thornton.
    I bought a 221T to replace it and thought it was poor in comparison.
    It was made in Rumania ( if matters ? ) , had slow menus and channel changing, no better than 9850T, and picture quality wasn't as good.
    I took it back and swapped it for a Panasonic, lightning menus and channel change with picture quality fine.

It's missing second scart and co-axial digital audio out but otherwise it is a good replacement for my old ITV Digital Nokia.
  5. finlab

finlab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard good reports about the grundigs (now Thomson after a buy out but still grundig workings)
  6. finlab

finlab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After doing a bit of research (see times of posts...work is quiet), the 2 boxes with setpal on board (daewoo and labgear) seem to be getting good consumer reviews esp from people who didnt think they would be able to receive channels (ie most of us).
    Considering going for for one myself.
  7. MartinImber

MartinImber Member

Ratings:
    +26
    The Pace DTVA is pretty good but the board inside my TV is best!:cool:
  8. GrannySmith

GrannySmith Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Having owned a Nokia 221T for a fortnight, I would strongly recommend it to anyone who like me, is in a poor reception area. After trying an ex-ITV digital box three months ago without sucess, I can receive perfect reception on all channels using the 221T, which makes it well worth the £30 premium over other digiboxes in my book.
  9. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks Member

Ratings:
    +0

Huh? The logic fails me on this occasion. It may well be worth > £30 cf old ITV boxes, but if £99 FTV boxes also perform as well, what does the extra £30 buy you? what it has over the Thomson/Grundig box seems to be a digital audio out (questionable worth considering DTT bit rates) and some dodgy games, alongh with a more exciting (aka crashy) MHEG engine.

Stuart
  10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, is there a web site anywhere with a complete list of Freeview and ONdigital boxes, pictures and reviews?

If not, I'd be interested in doing one, assuming that users can let me have the information.

Fman
  11. Rushy

Rushy Member

Ratings:
    +16
    This is the best list I can find so far but it doesn't include reviews:

http://www.idtv.co.uk/DTT_list_insert.html
  12. Luke Emmott

Luke Emmott Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic TUDSB30. The only real problems these tend to have are the fact that if your LNB is on it's way out these will pick it up before any other box. For example you have a TUDSB30 and you are missing channels such as ITV and Kerrang, you take it out and put your mates Grundig in and it works fine. You'd then think the box had a problem but it doesn't... it's the LNB.
    Also these boxes can have power supply problems where they can get stuck in standby, but this can be due to excessive reseting of the box or constant power cuts or surges'.
    Compared to all the other boxes on th market these are far more reliable, even though they can get these problems Grundigs, Amstrads, Sony, Pace all tend to have far more. Although most of the problems with early Grundigs can be sorted fairly easily with minor repairs to the power supply.
    The Panasonic also has a good processor and reacts to cammands very quickly

Luke
  13. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Although "Rushy" didn't actual bother to say so, I suspect he was actually referring to "Freeview" boxes and not Sky Digiboxes :rolleyes:

Fman
  14. Rushy

Rushy Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Indeed I was.

I think I may be picking up a Nokia 221T tomorrow, but if I don't like it, it will be going right back to the shop. I'm a difficult man to please what can I say :p
  15. Rushy

Rushy Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I have bought the Nokia 221T and have just set it up and started to use it. The difference is immediate from my old panasonic box, the menu system better, faster and easier to use. Even the signal strength is better than before and it also has a much wider range of connections.

Overall the box is in another league to the panasonic TUC20. But I have only had it a few hours, I have to test it for stability before I can give my final opinion. But so far so good. :D
  16. Papua

Papua Member

Ratings:
    +30
    The site I've found listing freeview receivers is http://www.consumerdeals.co.uk/freeview.html

I have pioneer and nokia ex itv digital boxes. The pioneer is very quick but the picture quality on the nokia is beter. Also piping RF around the house the picture is better remotely than on the pioneer and my sky pace box. The nokia is also piped into my amplifier and the digital out is better than the standard analog sound.
  17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Good luck with it, maybe my 221T was a dud.
  18. BigAde

BigAde Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Anyone had experience of the Daewoo Setpal DS608P or the Labgear equivalent? Seen the Daewoo for sale for £99 at TJ Hughes... I was waiting to see if any appear with twin tuners (apart from the Pace PVR box), but getting frustrated now...!
  19. pinkerton

pinkerton Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hasnt anyone considered the Hauppage DEC2000?
    Has all the functions of a normal box + a USB port to plug into a PC so you can capture the MPEG2 data stream direct!
    Only one that can do that, as far as I know.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/freeview
  20. finlab

finlab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A pal loaned me a grundig for a day and in my bad recetion area it was ok. I then bought the daewoo and find the reception much better. I still miss out on 3 channels but everything else works well inc. text
  21. headache

headache Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My Son has a DEC1000 box. It works fine but does not feed through analogue channels as well as digital through the RF out. So you can't record an analogue channel whilst watching freeview.

Does anyone know which box or boxes have feedthrough that puts digital and analogue down the RF pipe out of the box?? A lot of people would be interested to know that I bet.

Ed
  22. installer09

installer09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think ive fitted all of the boxes and the only one that outputs digital through the rf outlet is the new twin tuner model from pace with the built in hard drive. Someone please correct me if im wrong .
  23. headache

headache Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks installer09.

I have had another look at www.consumerdeals.co.uk/freeview Their definition of remodulation implies that digital is added as another analogue channel alongside BBC1-five etc. If true that's great. I suspect it isn't.
    Can anyone out there cast some light on this or correct the item on the consumerdeals page.
    I am short of SCART's to go that route.

Ed
  24. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    See Kevin's list here:-
    http://www.kswindells.co.uk/freeview/
  25. eddyad

eddyad Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Don't touch the Nokia if you want something easy to use. Elderly neighbours have just bought and had a 221T professionally installed. They invited me to see it and I am horrified by the poor design of the tiny (but quite pretty) hand set and the almost impenetrable menu system. I plan to e-mail Nokia with an extended version of my comments.
    The handset's size makes it difficult to use with one hand, especially for an elderly person or anyone with large hands. The unit is poorly balanced and all the numeric keys are at the bottom of the unit . If you Press Red intuitively, the sound mutes because the mute/on/off key is bright red. The coloured keys are grey with tiny coloured inserts. The TV and radio programs are separated on initialization and require use of the navigation system to change from one to the other; the need to use the TV to change prevents the use of the unit as a radio tuner without turning on the TV. You don't discover this until page 13 of the manual. Unless you are especially nimble, 2 digit programs numbers are easily missed. To sense what it might be like for a 78 year old man with largish hands, try using it in a dimly lit room while wearing a pair of heavy duty rubber kitchen gloves (e.g. yellow 'Marigolds'). The instruction manual does not even contain a quick reference card which might help: How to switch on and off and select tv and radio channels.
    By comparison the Grundig GDT1000 (and probably 2000) are brilliant designs easily used.
    I could never recommend the Nokia as a simple and easy to use unit.
    I have worked professionally on Human Factors design and as a technical writer, and the Nokia unit and its manual fail both in my opinion. If you want to know more download the manual from http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,1888,00.html
  26. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's a ladies' machine? My wife (48) likes the 221T. If she has problems with it when she's 78, I guess we'll change it then. :)