1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So fed up with BT, dropping connections.

Discussion in 'BT' started by irishmadge, Oct 31, 2011.

1. irishmadge

irishmadge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys

im not looking for faster internet im looking for internet that does not drop out.

The internet drops out and a yellow glow appears over the wireless connection symbol in the bottom right of my laptop screen. when i try to reconnect to my BT homehub it says windows cannot connect to BT homehub. i need to restart the hub at at mains to be able to connect again http://bt.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif thinking of leaving BT and moving to sky. very little reason to stay with BT.

my job needs for me to online skype/msn etc and when internet keeps dropping out its really hindering.

i have down loaded inssider2 and switched to channel 9 as it seemed to be the least used channel by other networks around my house but the problems still persist.

Dom
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  2. SteveLA

SteveLA Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Had the same problem and was getting 3meg if I was lucky from BT.

Now with Sky getting 13meg min and never lose my connection so if I was you move to sky.
    :smashin:
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    From you post, you appear to have a congested WiFi spectrum locally. (WiFi Channels overlap and so to have a free channel you need to be on channel that not only is not in use locally but is at least two channel numbers away from any that are.)

That is not BT's nor any other ISP's fault nor can they do anything about it and so moving ISP will not fix it.

I suggest that you connect via wired Ethernet, HomePlugs, 5 Ghz WiFi, or move house. (I am not being flippant, the latter could be the only fix to a congested WiFi spectrum.)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    +1 to BH's points.
    The thread title is unfair to BT as wireless network congestion and interference is not their fault.

Chris Muriel, currently working in Phoneix but normally...
  5. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Is that Phoenix, Az.? Still growing? It had just swallowed Scottsdale last time I was there.
  6. buckle247

buckle247 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    As has already been said, if the 'b' on the router is staying blue then the broadband/internet is not dropping out. Its just a wireless issue within your home network. Try changing the channel a few times to see if you can find a good one, rather than just sticking with which it thinks is best.
    Otherwise wired is the best option.

Does the wireless light on the hub ever change colour or go out? What type of homehub is it?
  7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    Yes, even though I misspelt it :blush:
    There's still some expansion going on in the region but not as much as there used to be in the current economic climate.
  8. Sulley75

Sulley75 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    This is interesting. If the phone is in use, the b can flash. Other times, when the phone isn't in use, the b is blue but no connection. How do I change channel? From the hub manager? Thanks.
  9. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    The flashing doesn't sound like Channel Conflict to me. It sounds like, a missing filter, bad Internal Wiring, a Line Fault.

To change channel: 192.168.1.254, Settings Advanced Settings, Wireless, Configuration. BTW, randomly changing channel in the hope of finding a good one, comes under the term: "poke 'n hope". You should use a tool, like inSSDer to ensure that you are changing channel in an informed way.
  10. buckle247

buckle247 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    He has already tried the channel suggested by inssider though, so only other option is to try a couple of others.

Like said though, if the 'b' is flashing yellow thats the router losing sync with exchange, rather than router losing sync with PC. As always, try it in the master test socket with a couple of filters, if the router still loses sync contact your ISP
  11. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    My point was rather than just "try"ing channels blindly, one should choose channels, using the information provided by inSSIDer, or similar tools.