1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, buying a 3rd generation iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by splinters69, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Buying a third generation iPad?

1. No plans to buy one

52.0%
  2. Yes, will be my first iPad

19.3%
  3. Yes, upgrading from iPad 1

13.5%
  4. Yes, upgrading from iPad 2

15.2%
  1. splinters69

splinters69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +484
    Presentation has been and gone, facts shared. I wondered how may were thinking of getting one?
    Added a Poll in case other forum users were interested.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. 2010

2010 Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Personally, though it's an improvement I don't feel compelled to upgrade my iPad 2.
  3. splinters69

Ratings:
    +484
    I should add that, after being quite impressed by the presentation, I then wondered if I actually needed to upgrade. I just got a Vita which is a well powered gaming machine and I use my iPad 2 mostly for web surfing and email. I do have a few games but most run on iPad 1.
    The real clincher though is the tumbling prices for iPad 2's now. I would have to add up to £150 to upgrade and that is a lot for the retina display. I doubt I would make use of the camera or need the quad core graphics.
    So, I haven't voted in my own poll for those reasons. Maybe when I see the display in the flesh I might change my mind.
  4. splinters69

Ratings:
    +484
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. kamy100

kamy100 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Impressive Presentation but other than the Retina screen I don't see any reason to upgrade my Ipad 2, for gaming on the go I have my PS Vita, so at the moment I see no compelling reason to upgrade my Ipad 2. Will wait for the Ipad 4 to see what that brings to the table.
  6. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    For me the Retina display is the most compelling feature and having resisted up until now (have had use of them from work) I will be ordering an iPad 3.

Assuming they update the browser and other apps to allow side by side windows this is exactly what i've been waiting for. To give you an example @ 2047 x 1536 you can have two 1024 x 1536 windows open. Thats pretty much a first for mobile devices and truly makes it an invaluable consumption device IMO.
  7. splinters69

Ratings:
    +484
    I have a 17" laptop with 1920 x1200 display. The resolution is nice and crisp but icons, text etc. are tiny without zooming in. Not sure of the benefit of such a high res on a 9.7" screen.
    Still, will need to see one for myself.
  8. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I have a Vaio P with an 8-inch 1600 x 768 display. I've also previously had 15" laptops with WUXGA displays. I've lost count of the number of colleagues who have scoffed at the pixel density on those displays, only to use them and then pine for one themselves.

IMO far too many people make a snap judgement without actually using high density displays (not directed at you, but most people are surprised by how good their eyes actually are). That leads them to overlook the immense advantages they offer to improve productivity and user experience. Yet instead they will spend money on a processor upgrade, which often yields little benefit for most of them.
  9. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    I'll be getting a new iPad. Will have to go for the 16gb model at launch as I can't afford a bigger one (I will upgrade storage at a later date, or just make-do) but I already sold my iPad 2 for a good price a few weeks ago, in preparation. If I still had my iPad 2 now, I might not have bothered upgrading it, since its value would be that much lower now and it'd cost more to upgrade to the new version, but the iPad is my fave ever gadget and I miss it a lot! Therefore I will be getting the new model, because that display will be amazing, and great for photo editing etc, and games.
  10. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    yep, will be getting the new iPad 32GB in black once I get pre-order
  11. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,254
    But you won't need to zoom on the iPad as the icons etc are not determined by the resolution but by the size of the screen, so they won't become half the size they were on the iPad 2, just crisper.

Edit: Forgot to say, I will be buying the new iPad and selling the iPad 2. Wife will be keeping her iPad 2
  12. Woolley5

Woolley5 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nope. Saving for wedding ATM. Would have bought an iPad 2 if price was right but they didn't drop it enough.
  13. ChrisWV10

ChrisWV10 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Nope, still happy with my refurb ipad1 I bought at ipad2's launch. (and I'm skint!)

C. :)
  14. Sartios

Sartios New Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Of COURSE I'm getting it! I'm trying to pre order if the site hurrys up and works!!
  15. addaman

addaman Member

Ratings:
    +33
    upgrading from ip2.
  16. v CJ v

v CJ v Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    This was the most painful preorder I've done with Apple, but managed to order 2 tonight.

The sales guy was chatty, no wonder their lines are busy.
  17. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +582
    Not really, the upgraded camera is a good feature but awkward with the iPads form factor, as well as lack of camera flash. Not too bothered about retina display, but really you have to see it in action. So I'll be holding on to my iPad 2!

More importantly, however, I can't seem to upgrade to its 5.1. It is out, but it can't even find the update and is stuck on error. With the update, I don't have to be typing this when I could (look like an idiot) and dictate this post!
  18. sisko

sisko Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Definitely going to get one (to replace my 16gig iPad 1. Don' t know if I would upgrade from an iPad 2 though.
  19. v CJ v

v CJ v Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    The retina is worth the upgrade (IMO).

Not too fussed about the camera, as I never use it (that's what the 4S is for).

I didn't see any me ton to an upgraded front camera though, any ideas?
  20. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Nope, not bothering. I sold my iPad and iPad 2 due to a lack of use and there is nothing at all about the new iPad to convince me I need one. For convenience I grab my phone, for extended use I grab my MBP. The only place the iPad had was when going away for a couple of days and travelling light, but that's rare.
  21. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    you're a traitor to the cause!!!! :D :p
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  22. Jonesy012

Jonesy012 Member

Ratings:
    +331
    I've never owned an iPad but was considering upgrading from a MBP until today. Don't bother trying to tell me that is a stupid idea, I was only considering it because i don't use my MBP for anything other than browsing, emailing, music video and communicating. All these the iPad can do better and is a gaming platform too!

PRoblem is... I still see the iPad 2. Will wait for the next iteration.
  23. salparadise

salparadise Member

Ratings:
    +35
    As soon as I can get through to the store I will be ordering one. Got rid of my iPad 2 to the missus in preparation for this evenings event.

All I wanted was an improved display and similar battery life for me to upgrade.
  24. godsakes

godsakes Member

Ratings:
    +217
    I got my ipad1 shortly after the ipad 2 was released... I always wished the screen was higher res so more websites would fit into 1 readable page and I also wanted more ram as i found the ipad1 was prone to crashing from running out of memory.

The ipad3 has everything I wanted but given it's only used to browse the internet, view youtube vids and use flipboard for my various newsfeeds I'm not sure i can justify spending £400 on it, I'll have to wait another year for the prices to fall
  25. Mhoram

Mhoram Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I'm sticking with my launch day ipad "1". The display is the same now as it was then. Apple said it was magical at the time, now apparently it's completely illegible and can only just about display horace goes skiing.
  26. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,254
    The first one was magical, the latest one is just more magical
  27. dsw

dsw Member

Ratings:
    +31
    +1 jus sold my ipad1 32gb wifi for £200 and have a Birthday gift owed by the wife :) . That and the 10% I get off apple stuff through work means £231 for a retina display iPad is a goer for me
  28. v CJ v

v CJ v Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Just got 2 different order confirmations through from Apple. Duplicated

That's 4 iPads and 2 ATVs I've ordered/been charged for now. If I can't cancel, will sell at RRP.
  29. wozwebs

wozwebs Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Have a friend in the states. Is it worth asking them to get me one and ship as a gift? Looking at a 32gb 4G. What kind of duty costs can I get stung by though?
  30. BodgeOfEngland

BodgeOfEngland Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Perfectly happy with my 1st Gen iPad. Will be buying the new Apple TV though as I wanted an updated one that will work with Mountain Lion and Airplay when that comes out in the summer.