Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart TV with full web browser?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kvoskou, Feb 22, 2012.

1. kvoskou

kvoskou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent a while looking for a Smart TV with a full web browser.
    I know there have been issues with flash compatibility/upgrade with various brands and they each have their various online capabilities, but I can't find a set with a full web browser. Obviously it needs to be upgradeable so that it can play the latest versions of flash and other files but all I've found are references to sets with plug in units you'll be able to change each year.
    Is there anything out there I've missed?
    Are there any sets due out soon that will do the job?
    Thanks for any help. I've searched online for ever and it's time to admit defeat!
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Smart TV offer limited browsers that are not upgradable. You best option is a PC/laptop connected to your tv or a table i.e Android.
  3. kvoskou

kvoskou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Shame. I was hoping against hope that something was on its way - though I suspect in a year or two it might happen.
    Waited months for LG's beautiful new series to be unveiled but to no avail (they were among the flash criminals).
    Thanks for the response though.
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    It will.:thumbsup:
  5. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Panasonic Goes Big With WT50, DT50 & ET50 LED LCD TVs

Important bit of the quote is in bold. ;)

Aaron

PS, I am not sure about other brands, i was just reading this post today, other than that its not a feature that interests me.
  6. kvoskou

kvoskou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent many hours (since first posting this thread) looking at TV's.
    There ARE some with browsers - many of which don't support flash.
    The funny thing is reading the comments on the dedicated forums where users compain about the lack of support/features with their chosen manufacturers and saying that these features are available through other manufacturers. Inevitably the same comments are made on the other manufacturer sites!
    There's no doubt that the TV makers are reluctant to reveal everything about their product because then it only takes half-decent research to pinpoint the flaws....
    In any event, the next stage is no longer finding out which models have a browser but which ones are upgradeable so that new versions of flash, silverlight, HTML etc will work on them.
    I like the new Samsung UE**D6 range. It seems to be close to the mark but I really am having trouble finding out if the firmware is upgreable (same with the Panasonics above).
    Now that new models are here/on the way, has anybody heard of a model that is upgradeable so it will remain fully compatible with the various web video formats for a few years to come?
    And yes, I know that there's nothing like a PC for browsing - I work in IT and god knows how long I spend online (!) but in this case I want to browse, stream etc directly from the telly!
    Thanks for any ideas.
  7. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    They are...

Highly unlikely

Per the Panasonics that have full support for flash, what version and is it upgradable ? Say youtube, bbc force you to use a new version, your tv could be stuck. As per many smart phones currently stuck on the wrong version.
  8. kvoskou

kvoskou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I do rather think that I can't make assumptions here. When I make my decision it'll have to be on the current features and the expectation they won't be as future proof as I'd want them to be.
    Thanks to all for your advice.