1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart TV Choices, help appreciated

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by NC74, Jul 29, 2013.

1. NC74

NC74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    Yes another one of those threads!

We are looking at a 42 or 47 inch LED, mainly used for HDTV, Gaming/Movies/Sports. The final size is still being debated with my girlfriend, but def no bigger than 46/47.

Not really fussed about 3d, a couple of TVs we have looked at come with it, but if I can make a decent saving I will forego it.

Budget Ideally £650, max of around £850.

Initially I was looking at LG LA690V which is a bit out of budget at 47, but ok at 42. Also looking at the 620V, and I wondered if anyone knew though how it compares to the LN575V - apart from the 3D is there much of a difference?

I have also considered the Sony W805, again in our budget at 42 but outside at 47. W654 also an option if we go for Smart only with no 3D

Not keen on the current range of Panasonic TX's purely on aesthetics (gf doesnt like 'that' silver).

So I suppose I am just after a little guidance on whether there is much difference between the 2 cheaper Lgs other than the 3d, and maybe how the Sony 654 compares with the LG 575V and 620v. Anything else you think is worth considering please throw it in :thumbsup:

Samsung may also be an option, I havent really researched them as much but from what I have seen the F5500 gets excellent reviews and is in budget at both 42 and 46.

I can see why I only do this every few years, jeez what a minefield. It doesnt help when the newer TVs dont seem to have many reviews online, this site is a bit of a godsend.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. NC74

NC74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot to mention the Samsung UE32F6400AKX also as an option. Decent price for the 3D - may make it a consideration as a ncie bonus, rather than the equivalent LG which really makes it an expensive gimmick (to us).
  3. NC74

NC74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok we have narrowed it down a bit (if anyone is interested).
    42 inch is right for the room it is going in. As we are saving on the size we will go for the 3D.

Options now seems to be
    LG LA690V
    Sony W805
    Maybe one of the Panasonics - ET61? She won the 42/47 argument so 'that' kind of silver may be an option now as I like it.

Possible downside with the Sony is it is quite low, putting a sound bar in front may obscure the screen/remote? If we need a bar then it will have to be in front of the tv, other shelves on the unit are full and I dont want to buy another as its fairly new. Anyone with the Sony able to comment on the sound?

JL have it for £800 with a Blu Ray player out of stock online at the mo but they had it in store at the weekend.

Anyone offer any opinions or alternatives please?
  4. Vril

Vril Member

Ratings:
    +18
  5. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    JL.com and the stores have different stocks
  6. NC74

NC74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I am aware JL have different stock online/in store, picked that up on another thread, glad I did or I wouldnt have known. Ill pop back in at the weekend for another look and check stocks of the Sony.

That Samsung is nice, but have to say Active 3d is a bit of a turn off. I have 2 young uns so if they are going to break glasses I would rather it was the cheapy passives.

I think I am just going to flip a coin, really struggling to make a decision on this and I am spending time I cant afford surfing the web endlessly looking at reviews - not getting much work done to pay for the bloody thing! Looking at the pros and cons of each of these sets there doesnt seem to be a massive difference between them. I have seen quite a lot of reference to DSE on the LGs, but I am working on the basis that they sell a shed load of sets and people only really mention negatives, must be a lot of happy buyers not making comments on their sets.