1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small speakers for 2.0/2.1 starter system?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by jpkerr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jpkerr

jpkerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been struggling to find a home cinema set up to fit the compromises of corner TV, small space for speakers, discrete set up and cost.

It is mostly for watching TV and DVD/ Blurays, and quite often when everyone's in bed.

With all this in mind I am thinking of starting with 2.0 system with a modest amp, probably a Sony DH820, and small speakers to start with the potential to add a sub in the future.

The shortlist I have for the speakers is-

Monitor Audio Vector - £130
    Q Acoustics 2010i- £100
    Acoustic Energy Compact - £100

They all appear to have similar range and be of a similar size. All I want from the speakers is to be a good step up from TV speakers. I would like to know if any of them are more suited to my role or if they are all much the same. I have no means to demo any of them.

I know a stereo amp would probably be better but I want to connect the following and be able to control them through the AV Receiver-

Panasonic P42G20
    Humax 9200T
    Sony BDP S370
    Wii

Many thanks

Paul
  2. jpkerr

jpkerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After some research over lunch I wish to add another candidate to the list-

Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 - Approx £100

Thanks

Paul
  3. jpkerr

jpkerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just a cheeky bump to see if anyone has an opinion on these speakers in a stereo configuration, or should I stick to my original idea of BA XS in a 2.1 (although sub would have to be in a corner)?

Thanks

Paul
  4. Sw33t

Sw33t Member

Ratings:
    +14
    To be honest if you can get bookshelf speakers in the space then do that, the BA XS leavs no real room for improvement if/when you feel you need to and you would have to start all over again.
    The QA 2010i are a very good, would the Wharfedale 9.1s fit? at W x H x D (mm) 194 x 296 x 278 they are another good speaker at £100
    Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)
  5. jpkerr

jpkerr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply, the 9.1s are are a size up on what I think I can get away with.

I have an old Sony Mini System with speakers about the same size as those I listed so I am going to dig them out to give me an idea of space. That will help deciding if I could move up to the 9.1s.

Thanks again

Paul