Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small scratch on bezel of new TV - return or keep?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PopeSock, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PopeSock

PopeSock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a Samsung 37 inch telly, new, and it's got a very small 1cm scratch on the bezel, just above the top of the screen. It's visible mostly when there's sunlight through the window and while it's not hugely obvious, it kind of bugs me a bit that it's there.

Granted, I could take it back but there's no guarantee there wouldn't be another scratch somewhere given that, looking through other threads, the piano black Samsung bezels seem to be scratch magnets. I actually like the TV apart fro this, but I bought this new and I balk a bit at it being less than 100% perfect.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Should I keep it or take it back? I've also considered going over it with a black sharpie to see if it makes any difference.
  2. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,938
    I would have to return, OCD about these things
  3. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    The trouble is you may be accused of doing it yourself.
    In my experience (and I've unboxed countless nos of new TVs) is, it's extremely rare to find a mark on a new set that's been factory sealed in it's box.
    Did you receive it in an un-opened sealed box or is it possible it's already been unboxed and sealed again?
  4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Personally speaking, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate in taking it back. If it's fairly obvious (i.e. you can see it pretty easily) this is what I would use to determine whether to keep it or not, but, having a scratch like that, from (supposedly??) brand spanking new isn't on.

But I guess, more objectively, it depends on what sort of a person you are, as in, would this really bother you? Some people probably not, but for me personally, anything like that might as well have flashing neon lights round it with a big fat red arrow pointing to the scratch - being a bit of an OCD freak (!) that's just how it would appear to me!!!!!!!
  5. Promised Land

Promised Land Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's bothering you enough to post here and you're well within your consumer rights, taking it back is a no brainer for me.
  6. HoraceCGillam

HoraceCGillam Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If you're getting annoyed by it and you didnt do it, you may aswell take it back, although they may not honour their guarantee as they could blame you for it [​IMG]
  7. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Just tell them there's clouding and bleeding etc lol.
  8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    A scratch like this is classed still as a 'fault'. The product that has been sold, brand new, but with a defect (fault).

Therefore, within the first six months of ownership, the onus is not on the buyer, but on the retailer to prove that the 'fault' was NOT there when the set was delivered. They're obviously not going to be able to do that.

In other words, I don't think you'll have a problem...
  9. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Actually it would be too easy for the retailer to pin it on the customer, i.e. retailer could say that there are several ways in which the customer could have 'damaged' it.

A 'fault' complain is only valid if it affects the way the tv works i.e. does not turn on, powers off and then on, displays an erractic image etc.

In this case the bezel is 'damaged' that is not classed as a 'fault' :facepalm:

So what I would do in this case to save any arguments or problems with the retailer as most of them will argue and basically brush you off is that you say its got a mechanical fault causing the tv to not work as intended.

Or unless its John Lewis then you have no worries as they will just swap it but with anything the longer you leave it the harder it is to try and get it swapped well for a scratch anyway.
  10. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Again, it is a defect which ever way you look at it. The onus again is not on the customer to prove they didn't put a scratch there.

'Making up' a non existent fault is not necessary. The Sale of Goods Act says that items must be of 'satisfactory quality'. This clearly isn't. The overall finish of an item is still covered under 'satisfactory quality'.

As long as you report this scratch very quicky, there really shouldn't be any problems at all. I've been in exactly the same boat (and not with John Lewis either, with a very 'picky' retailer in my opinion) and I had no trouble what so ever.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  11. PopeSock

PopeSock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - in the end, I took it back, and got a replacement, which is flawless.
  12. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    That's great to know. I didn't think you'd have any problems ;)

As always, the key to anything like this is reporting it to your retailer as soon as possible.

Glad it's all sorted:)
  13. PopeSock

PopeSock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now I've looked at it, it's got a tiny air bubble in the clear bit of the bezel, dead center, just above the black bit of the bezel, in the clear bit! It's far, far less noticeable than the original scratch, so I plan on keeping it. It'll also be covered by my Playstation move camera if I decide to get one. Still a great telly, though. Now if only there were more than 4 Freeview HD channels... but that's another gripe entirely.