1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slugs in kitchen problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Berties, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Redid the kitchen about a year ago, before that taking the old kitchen apart found a slug nest behind kitchen cupboards. The worktop was cracked so water from the sink got under neath and gave them a moist enviroment. However after getting the new kitchen we've found a slug or two on the floor in the middle on the night, and looking between washing machine I can see slime trails under the worktop.

Any ideas on how to stop them? Also where are they coming from, there is a vent but that's needed otherwise back of the cupboards won't get any ventilation.
  2. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Stamp on em?
  3. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Salt.
  4. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    What, everywhere? Also they'd just go into a gooey mess.
  5. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey New Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. GasDad

GasDad Remembered (1964-2012)

Ratings:
    +766
    Find out where they are coming in!

In our old kitchen we used to get them occasionally in the centre of the kitchen floor - not nice standing on them in bare feet in the middle of the night, if you popped down for a drink.

In our case it turned out they were climbing up the outlet from the dishwasher, which turned out to be a copper pipe painted white, and therefore covered in condensation, and following that into the kitchen. I changed the pipe to plastic, and filled the hole where it when through the house. Sorted.
  7. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,282
    Try this thread. Here's my contribution to it:

8. Boozehound

Boozehound Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,021
    Boak! I hate the sensation of squishing a slug.
  9. mason

mason Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Yeah- find out were they are coming in.

I remebr when I was little- my dad dug up the back garden, and the slugs were prone to sliding themselves under the back door. He put a line of salt right at the back door..... that stopped them!!
  10. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I assume since they have no bones, they can fit into small cracks? Just how small? How small are baby slugs?
  11. MrSmiley

MrSmiley Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    I quite like it :D

A bit smaller than the Adult ones? :confused:
  12. Ivor the Engine

Ivor the Engine Member

Ratings:
    +206
    I can't believe there are the number of people who have experienced the same thing.

Stepping on a slug(s) in the middle of the night is certainly a unique sensation.

Much the same as everyone else's advice and they have not been seen for years. I still think I can hear them whispering behind the washing machine.
  13. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,148
  14. Rog69

Rog69 Member

Ratings:
    +236
    I had a similar problem when I first moved into my house, the final straw was when I squashed one with bare feet and slipped on the resulting goo and fell on my ass :(.

I found that they were coming in where my dishwasher waste pipe went through the outside wall, It was only the tiniest gap so I sealed it up with a little cement. It kept them out for about a week until I started to get them in again so I just pulled of all of the plinth covers for the kitchen units on the outside wall and spread salt liberally underneath. I haven't seen a slug in there for about four years now :)
  15. Surebrec

Surebrec Member

Ratings:
    +111
    this sort of thing would be a nightmare situation for me, I don't like slugs at all, and when I say I don't like them, I mean, I really don't like them, the same way some people don't like spiders.

spiders, no problems with, as long as they stay in the corner of the ceiling, I can accept sharing a room with them.

slugs on the other hand, just the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

my aunt used to have a really bad problem with slugs in her kitchen when I was a kid, it turned out they were making their way in through a crack in an exterior brick.

I remember my neighbour telling me a story once about when he woke up in the middle of the night after a particularly heavy drinking session. he said he was still drunk when he woke up to get a drink and some paracetamol.

he said he went downstairs, still wearing his socks, walked into the kitchen without turning the light on, and skidded on "something", he said he slid all the way across the kitchen floor.

after trying to figure out what it was, but not being able to do so due to being intoxicated, he decided to go back to bed, thinking it was probably just a piece of cucumber that had been dropped on the floor. he got back into bed without taking his socks off, and when he and his wife woke up in the morning, when they pulled the sheets back, they were both covered from the waist down in slug juice.

when he told me about it, I nearly threw up right there and then.

he also said when he went down stairs, the slug was still there, at the end of an almost 5 foot long dried skid mark
    • Thanks Thanks x 1