1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow internet in the afternoon until midnight?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by inonefly, Mar 9, 2008.

1. inonefly

inonefly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, does anyone experience a slow interenet connnect in the afternoon until midnight? my VM adsl is not even comparable to a dial-up after 4/5pm unitl 0:00 in the morning it speeds up? any idea whats the problem?:confused:
  2. y2k

y2k Member

Ratings:
    +297
    They are probably slowing your speed at busy times, either that or your neighbours all download loads at them times. My internet is slightly slower after 18:00 with orange but when I was with bt down the same line it worse than dial up from the afternoon until the next morning.
  3. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Are you on their ADSL or Cable service?
  4. inonefly

inonefly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im on ADSL, i'd love to get the cable service but it's not available here :(
  5. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Are you stuck with VM as your internet provider? There are many better alternatives.

Their cable service is great, their DSL service is less than average.

Steve
  6. inonefly

inonefly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same experience with BT, but the virgin cable was pretty good when I was in Reading. so I went with virgin media adsl this time but ...:(
  7. inonefly

inonefly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I switched my cable service to ADSL in Nov 2007 as i moved house, iirc that means I have a new 12months contract with VM...i'll give them a call tmr see if I can end my contract with them
  8. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    you cant end your contract unless you pay them £50 i get mad after 4pm till midnight as sometimes im after downloading and i cant as its 20kb max speed i get but its fine in the day but my virgin contract gunna expire soon not sure when but i defo gonna look for a non capped broadband if i can find one
  9. paul_w

paul_w Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Just to let anyone interested know.

To cancel with vm all you need do is fire a e-mail of complaint to the ISPA

http://www.ispa.org.uk/). complaining of your slow speeds and they will contact vm customer services who will in turn ring you offering free access till the end of april or your mac code and no charge for ending your contract early. I know someone who has done this and there are lots of people who have posted the same info over on the thinkbroadband forums. http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=virgin_adsl&Number=3255272

Hope this helps some.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,311
    I have had similar problems with Virgin Media that is ruining my FIFA 08 life on the PS3. Perfectly fine between 6am and 4pm and then it lags like a *****.

I rang Virgin and they "upgraded" me to 8mb with a 12 month contract. It has not changed one bit.

I have complained and they trotted out a load of rubbish about my internal wiring, telephone lines, distance from exchange, normal fluctuations etc without any mention of my specific complaint.

I don't think its too much to ask to experience online gaming with no lag. I don't download anything from the net so this can't be an issue.

When I rang Virgin to specifically complain about this they "upgraded" me and said this would solve it .... I went for a 12 month contract. I have not seen this contract nor signed it, yet they now say over £100 to cancel and move ISPs .....

I have used the link above to make a formal complaint. I will let you know how I get on.
  11. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    Well, Virgin have been on today asking me all sorts of questions and then left me to test the line using speedtester.net or some website .... I did as instructed and they said they would ring me back .... and didn't.

Jesus, it is too much to ask to have a lag free game of FIFA?
  12. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Problem with virgin ADSL is that it is way oversubscribed and they don't seem to be willing to invest to upgrade their ADSL network.

The result is not only poor speeds but also lots of packet loss which is the reason for your lag. It would not matter if they upgraded you to 100Mb, you would still get lag. Its their network thats broken....not your line.
  13. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    Why thank you for that!

I am persuing them through the ispa and hopefully will get some resolution and offer of the MAC code without having to pay to get out of the contract.

I will certainly use the info you have given me. Thanks.
  14. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    Well a resolution to it all at last.

Virgin Media rang me back today to explain that it is THEIR network connection being oversubscribed that causes the lag .... or "traffic" in the network as they put it.

They have provided me with the MAC code free of charge .... only problem is - who do I go with now??
  15. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Zen are my favourite DSL provider - great for gaming.

Steve
  16. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Have used the MAC code to move away from virgin and set up base camp at ADSL24 on their home 30 plan. Thanks to all for their suggestions especially Rygar who has gone out of his way a few times to help me find a new ISP.

Lets hope that's the end of my lagging and I can play FIFA 08 in peace.

Thanks.
  17. mroshaw

mroshaw Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Hi all,

I discovered that VM actually throttle your internet connection, if you breach a certain download limit (about 800MB) over the duration of their 'peak period' (4pm to 9pm). I was downloading some Oracle software (around 42GB worth, to be precise!) and noticed my 4MB connection drop to around 1MB. I confirmed this through a number of speed test sites.

Anyway, turns out this is standard practice for VM and you're 'punished' for your wrong doing for 5 hours from the point you breached the limit.

To be fair, I don't hold it against them as I was really hammering their servers and I wouldn't want other people to be affected. I was quite happy to use a download scheduler to download the rest of the software over night.

Anyhoo, that might explain some slow down issues with Virgin Media. There's more info here if you're interested.
  18. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    the big switch over is tomorrow ... will report in here how i get on.
  19. Abbeygoo

Ratings:
    +4,311
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks everyone ... the switch over is complete and I am now lag free for gaming. Yippee. Thanks to everyone on this thread as I am away from virgin media without having to pay anything from their contract ... AVF rules.
  20. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    i found out i expired yesturday i asked them to send my mac so im gonna be happy changin to 16meg o2 end of the month sick of virgin
  21. chris57

chris57 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Not had any problems since I changed from VM to Be, now owned by o2. You should be very happy a lot cheaper than VM and cheaper than most ADSL2+ providers. I get a rock solid 8mb/s no lagging or throtttling. Its like being back in the gool ole Telewest 10mb service, those were the days. Mr Bransons crown and perceived worthiness is slipping ever quicker.
  22. fdxd

fdxd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i just got throttled after downloading several hd trailers.

Dont think Virgin media have a lot to do with Branson.
  23. Scholes18

Scholes18 Active Member

Ratings:
    +343
    He's a large shareholder... Was given that so they could use the brand and fool people into thinking it was a new company when its nthell with a clean tshirt
  24. AndrewD3000

AndrewD3000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi did you get the Fifa Lag thing sorted as I'm having very similar issues about 3 out of 4 games now are lagged its seriously annoying especially as my opponent will more often than not have no issues so its like playing a 2 star team against a 5 star team
  25. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Just to clarify, the throttling is on the Cable network, not the DSL network. This thread is about the DSL service, not the cable service.