Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY Signal Strength?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Bambi, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Bambi

Bambi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After finally getting my TV and Sound system Installed/delivered, I have a couple of questions i'd like to put to you.

What sort of signal strength can I expect? The bar is half way along the line, is this normal?

I get quite alot of pixelation on fast moving pictures such as music channels and also footie. What can I do to get rid of/minimise this?

Is wasn't such a problem on my old 25" 4:3 set but now i've gone upto 36" i seem to notice it a great deal more.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers
  2. Family Guy

Family Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the signal strength metre you should be looking at - it's the signal quality. The signal strenghth metre will pick up all sorts of rubbish and try to convert it to a signal. The signal quality will only recognise the Astra signal.
    As a rule of thumb, they should both be about between half and 2 thirds of the way up the bars - mine are all the timeand stable.

Also, if you are using RGB, turn off all signal processing (100hz etc) and that should get rid of the pixelation. If you're not using RGB, you should be.........
  3. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    What can be done to improve Signal Quality?
  4. Bambi

Bambi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using RGB but through a scart lead if that is right?

I use a component cable for DVD and that is cool :)

I looked at the signal quality and it's about 65-75% of the way across i'd say so it sounds about right by your reckoning.

I'll have to see how it goes and make some more enquiries if it gets to the point where i cannot stand it any longer.
  5. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Align the dish properly and check the connections.

yes

Yes
    Say what :confused: :confused: :confused:
  6. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    My signal Quality is not all that good to be honest just below half way. Hence the reason why i ask how i can improve it . Can anyone help
  7. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Does it matter how hight the dish is? Would new cable do any different? When I had Sky digital fitted the sky people use the cable that was alreayd in from standard sky could this be the cause as I would of though the have set the dish right?
  8. Family Guy

Family Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It dosen't matter how high the dish no. The only advantages ti having a high dish is it's out the way of obstructions and is virtually tamper proof.
    The cable should have been changed. Sayng that though, it depends how good the cable was on your analogue system. It should have a single thick strand of copper inside and the insulation should be honeycombed and of course be 75 ohm to decrease resistance.
  9. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks.

Anyway my cable sound like the one you mention. What I just done is snip both end and redone them. And ta da quility bar is now just over half way.
  10. Family Guy

Family Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure the dish end is sealed - and not with electrical tape. You need to use almalgamating tape to ensure the seal is waterproof. Some instalers cover the join with a purpose made gromet - this is normally not good enough and I always use almalgamating tape. It's expensive and can normally only be got from satelite dealers - I got mine from Spectrum in Croydon if you are anywhere near there.
  11. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Nope I am no way near there,

NOW i find that strange there were no steal on it at all at the dish end and it was fitted by sky. All it was, was the bare fitting that all.

Anyway my brother live accross the road and his Signal aswell as Quility strength are nearly full blast how come this???

Do you reckon i could improve mine any further. both of mine are in the same position just over half way. is this ok or should I try and improve?

Hmmm where could I buy some of that tape online or over phone if possible
  12. auldendunn

auldendunn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rookies
    You can get self amalgamating tape from any boat chandler.
    regards
  13. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
  14. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
    Yes that's the right stuff.
    It's also used by BT engineers and is available at RS components, CPC etc.
    Just checked Maplin catalogue & they have it too.
    I use it on both my satellite & ham radio installations.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.
  15. Family Guy

Family Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That is it yes. It won't improve your signal but it will prolong the life of your LNB. About halfway should be OK on the signal strength and quality. Do you have a tree in the way? A building? What size screen do you view on - the bigger the screen the more you'll notice pixellation. I use a 32" WS set and have started to notice it more - particularly on footie.
  16. Rookies

Rookies Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Well there are trees and 2 houses, But surly they not effecting it as they are about let say 100 meter away.
  17. Fernsehman

Fernsehman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, I got mine from satcure at 2 pence per inch. OK, they charge £2.50 postage plus VAT on top but that's no big deal if you are ordering other stuff at the same time. Obviously they don't want people buying JUST six inches of tape! (But actually they will supply it if that's all you want).

Oh, and when aligning your dish - you align the dish for the strongest signal - preferably with a satmeter - then you adjust the LNB "skew" for best "signal Quality". I was told that by satcure when I bought my satmeter and it seems to be right.

Fman
  18. Bambi

Bambi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Having watched some more DVD's where the picture quality is the dogs :) and also watching some more SKY, I have been compelled to come back again and ask some more stupid questions :blush:

I've had my SKY box for a while now. Would the picture quality improve if I got a newer one? I was wondering if although the signal strength is ok, what about if the box cannot decode it fast enough? Is this possible.

Does anyone else box get really hot? I've got plenty of ventilation around it and it still seems to get really hot on the top.

EDIT - Would the scart lead i use also make a difference to pixellation?

ta