1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky plus box not working!

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by stormchaser2005, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stormchaser2005

stormchaser2005 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I've had my sky plus box for about 3 1/2 years and had no problems at all until yesterday. It has power and the light is on at the front but it won't come off standby. I can hear the hard drive turning then it seems to stop and give a couple of little squeeks and it sits there for about 10 seconds before repeating it all over again. When the hard drive is turning you can use the remote and the box lights up at the front but it still stays on stand by, if you try to use the remote either while it is "squeeking" or in the dead time inbetween it doesn't light up. I haven't yet 'phoned sky as I know that they will just ant to send someone out at a cost of £65 to me and I see no reason why I should pay that for someone to tell the box is broken!! I did all their trouble shooting stuff off their site although it wasn't much use and has made no difference. It is a Thompson DSI821OCS? That's the number off the bottom so guess that is the model???

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or what I could try?:lease: I know I can buy another box for less than sky would rip me off (was looking at a Pace TDS470N) but fixing this one would be even cheaper still.....:smashin:
  2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    If you don't mind losing any recordings you could try this:

Unplug the Sky box at the mains
    Press the left and right navigation buttons on the front of the box whilst plugging into the mains again. Do NOT release the buttons until the green Play light comes on ~ 30secs.
    Press Select. The play light will then rotate clockwise for about three minutes whilst the box resets itself. The box will go into Standby.
    Leave for 2-3 minutes whilst the hard drive reformats and then proceed as normal.

Neil
    • Thanks Thanks x 8
  3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Sky's £65 callout fee includes replacement of everything necessary to leave you with a working system including replacing the Sky+ box.

The problem with your box is almost certainly either a failing/failed hard disk (the digibox will not boot up without a working HDD) OR a failing power supply (a very common fault on Thomson boxes (open the box and look for bulging/leaking electrolytic capacitors).
  4. stormchaser2005

stormchaser2005 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I didn't want to lose any recordings but it's not as if they won't be repeated at some point is it?;) Either way the box was no use to anyone as it was, just sitting there whirring and squeeking....

Have done just as you said and it seems to have worked!:smashin: Lost everything on my planner but to be fair some of it had been on there a while, (several months) so if I hadn't watched it by now then I wasn't likely to be doing it anytime soon!:rolleyes: It has also lost the anytime TV, the link is still there but pressing the red button just gives a message "there are no programmes currently available. Ensure you have sky+ subscription and try again in a few hours" Is that because the box has reset itself? Any idea what could have caused it to do this is in the first place?

You just saved me the cost of a new box and I nol onger have to squirrel myself away in the bedroom to watch TV THANKYOU!:D

Julie
  5. stormchaser2005

stormchaser2005 Member

Ratings:
    +24

electro wotsit?:confused: Sorry but you have to explain things simply to me as I am not really technically minded! I can service my own car pretty much and do things like brakes and get my hands dirty but anything involving computers, televisions, or in this case a digi box and you may as well hand my dog a screwdriver and explain it to him whilst waiting for him to grow thumbs so that he can grip it properly:rotfl: much as I hate to stereotype I am blonde in every sense of the word!;)

ETA last time I called sky about a box playing up they told me I would have to pay extra for any parts needed and the call out fee was just that
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Sky Anytime will take upto a couple of days to "load" - be patient.

Glad to be of service - and nice of you to report back.

Neil
  7. George Caplin

George Caplin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem. It seems that the HDD is getting stuck whilst loading. It will not let me take it out of standby. I have looked inside and it all looks tidy apart from all the dust that was in there. I tried all the reset techniques and all have failed. Will whacking it with a hammer un-stick it??? Or is it dead now???? P.S. its a thompson 80g.
  8. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
  9. Baa

Baa Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the above post, I have just come home to a dead sky+ box (and a very distraught wife:rotfl:) Box now reset....

Only down side, I am trying to remember what was on series link....
  10. lew123

lew123 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Mine did the exact same thing except mine was only 3 days old! The sky man came and said whats wrong, so i said its stuck in standby he then said, is it a thomson and is it making a funny squeaking sound. So i said yes. He then said right and went to his van. Came back with a big white box and said your lucky i dont have any refurbished boxes on the van without even looking at the old box. He then sat in front of the old box and said yes, your hardrive has gone thats what the squeeking is(whilst unpacking the new box). He then said ohh your really lucky its a pace, dont see many of these any more. He also mentioned that everyday he is replaceing at least 1 or 2 thomson boxes and that they are extremly unreliable.
  11. Donut

Donut Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to thank you for posting this information on the internet. My Sky box wouldnt come on and kept making whirring noises. I could not get through to Sky to sort this out - they run a terrible phone service. I was beginning to think I'd have to get HD TV instead as it would have been cheaper than getting the Sky engineers in to fix my box. You have just saved me lots of money. Thank you so much.
  12. StevoNueve

StevoNueve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got home for the first time in ages and Sky+ didn't work... This just saved me a lot of ballache. Thank you Neil! Works spot on now :smashin:
  13. Kathyc

Kathyc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem with my sky+ box but am loathe to phone sky as if the box is outside the guarantee period they won't replace it and I will be paying £65 to be told it needs replacing. Surely they won't replce a box that is 3 1/2 years old otherwise why would you pay insurance on it?
  14. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Read the quote you put in your own message. For £65 Sky will replace anything and everything to get you up and running again.

No-one in their right mind would buy "insurance" with the above process in place.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  15. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy Active Member

Ratings:
    +611
    I'm going to hijack this thread slightly as I have been experiencing similar problems over the last couple of days.

I've got a Pace Plus box which has already had a hard drive replacement (we did that ourselves), but I've been experiencing problems with it switching itself to standby whilst watching TV, and its failed a couple of recordings for 'technical error' or something like that.

Is this likely to be a hard drive problem, too?

I'm reluctant to have to buy another box as this one has proven to be very reliable. I can't remember when exactly I got it, but it was one of the first Pace PVR2's that came out. I'd rather just replace the hard drive again as that was the solution last time.
  16. walfrid

walfrid Member

Ratings:
    +0

My Iron keeps tripping my house and knocks the sky+ box off all the time. After several trips I was left with the stanby light. I done the above and problem sorted.

Thanks.:smashin:
  17. rbrt

rbrt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hi

just like to say first post and this thread thanks to google finding has kept my sky plus box going and saved an unnecessary replacement.

wondering know if will find fixes for my other boxes.

got an earlish pace sky digi that loses channels. have to kill at mains to reset for a few days viewing.

thanks again
    richard
  18. chrismtd

chrismtd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i came across your forum and read a few things relevant to my problem of my sky+ box not starting up and stuck in standby. I followed your instructions for holding buttons in whilst plugging the power back in - IT WORKED A TREAT !! Lost what was stored on the planner of course, but hey prefer the sky working again - thank you for the info...
  19. nlindenj

nlindenj Member

Ratings:
    +2
    blinkin sky+ box found ours knacked up today no turning on, making loads of noise and no sky+ functionality

so tried the fix and it worked, but after the 30 seconds the ring comes on and then press select the ring goes round anti clockwise with the play and record lights on together we thought it hadn't worked but it does

thanks for the help, was about to go for hd but saved a lot of hassle

now lets go throught the tv guide to record everything again:thumbsup:
  20. madsid1969

madsid1969 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

Thank you very much for the information. I must be a very lucky man because I have not lost any of the my saved programs. After holding the left and right button for a count of 40 the green light stayed solid and after a minute the machine turned itself off. I pressed the on button and wahey a fully working system.

Thank you again.
  21. fandang123

fandang123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil your fix worked a treat. I lost everthing off my planner but at least the box works again. I bet this problem is a nice little earner for Sky! It is important that others with the same problem follow your instructions carefully i.e switch of at mains then reintroduce the power supply by plugging mains in whilst your holding down left and right navigation buttons simultaneously. Then wait 2-3 mins giving unit chance to reformat its hardrive. Thanks again.
  22. rafaqat

rafaqat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil. Another rescued Sky + Box. :)
    The wife thinks I'm some sort of technical god. :)
  23. charlie110285

charlie110285 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil

I'm still struggling with my Sky+ box its a thompson 160GB. I've tried all the re-booting procedures on the forum + rang SKY who were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

I've tried changing my hard disc too. All I get on the front is the standby light. Even when I press the remote the IR light doesn't come either. If you look closeley at the standby light, it is flickering slightly! not sure what that means.

I haven't seen any issues like this on any of the forums, but would very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks
  24. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
  25. the primitive

the primitive Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried this before a couple of years ago - it worked then! But yesterday live pause stopped working, fearing the worst I looked in the planner...all programmes deleted. :-( Remembered this fix, found it on the internet again (thanks!) but it didn't work this time :-(

Could then watch TV all day but not pause or record, tried the fix again last night, and now it doesn't work at all, can't make the green light come on, stuck in standby. Tried reformatting 3 times, seems to be completely knackered :-(

how much is a new box? Is it cheaper to upgrade to HD in fact?
  26. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +451
    What's the make and model number on the label?
    Have you a spare HDD you can try?
  27. the primitive

the primitive Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amstrad DRX280

No spare HDD, still less of a clue what I would do with it!
  28. Kristopherus

Kristopherus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My Sky+ box has gone on strike. When I try to use any of the + functions get a message "A sky+ error has occurred. Press Select to restart or press Backup to continue without Sky+ functionality". I tried both the Restart option and Stevenage Neils method. Nothing works. Tried Neils option several times last night. When the green play light came on I pressed Select. The play light did not rotate. Instead it flashed and the box never reset itself. Is my drive cooked or is there another option?
  29. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Check post #26 and let us know.
  30. Kristopherus

Kristopherus Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The STB is a Thomson. Model No.130i167. Version No.4E2110. Hope that helps.