1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky picture quality not as good

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by moss99, Feb 16, 2012.

1. moss99

moss99 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is it just me or has anyone else thought that sky hd channels picture quality has got worse recently ..
    Im just sure hd movie channels used to look better quality than they do now..
    :confused:
  2. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +307
    The vast majority of people agree with you mate, the baud rate of these channels are garbage compared with continental europe.:thumbsdow
  3. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    I suspect that should be the vast majority of forum members agree.

I'm afraid the average viewer neither knows nor cares... :(
  4. andy1249

andy1249 Member

Ratings:
    +1,235
    Anybody got a linowsat account and some figures ? Any concrete evidence of bitrate drops ?
  5. moss99

moss99 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I thought i must have had a problem with my sky box so got a new 1 TB off sky but its just not got the same "wow" factor as when i upgraded to sky HD ..
    got a pioneer LX 5090 by the way..
    even the other half thinks so !!
  6. messenger

messenger Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I totally agree with all the comments here, $ky HD PQ has gone down hill steadily this last year.

Compared to the high bit rates we once saw when the service was first launched the quality now isn't even half what we once had.

Needs sorting quickly or just remove the £10 HD sub we pay....
  7. Disco_Stu360

Disco_Stu360 Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Yep I've noticed this too :(, I thought it was just my usual OCD tendencies and that I was imagining it! Glad to see I'm not alone! :D
  8. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I thought so too but a recent trip to the opticians has fixed it, now looks like Ultra definition :rotfl::D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. wednesday83

wednesday83 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Ive been gettuing severe pixelation issues on E4, Discovery HD and SYFY. Especially on camera pans and dark scenes. Ive just put this down to those channels getting far too little bandwith....

How ever I was flicking through the sports channels earlier and noticed that the Hull rugby match on Sky Sports 1HD was also badly pixelating heavily every now and again even on still shots. Now Sky Sports 1HD is getting plenty of bandwith so that cannott be the issue.

So im wondering if theres a software issue on the encoders causing the pixelation??
  10. seasiderstu

seasiderstu Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I also watched the Hull RL game thru Sky HD box, no pixellation or other picture problems
  11. wednesday83

wednesday83 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Had the man utd vs Ajax game on briefly (CH5 HD) and keeps pixelating badly every now and again. Great pic overall but the entire screen blurs for a second every minute or so. Anyone elses doing this?

The Derbs vs Leicster game on SSHD1 is perfect as is the darts on HD2.
  12. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Obviously don't know what display you are using but do you have any picture processing turned on? the symptoms you describe are typical of what processing can do to PQ :)
  13. quiet robert

quiet robert Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Same thing happened on mine and I've no processing switched on. Def a transmission bug
  14. wednesday83

wednesday83 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Fully collaberated samsung TV. Clearly a banwdith issue with the encoder.
  15. wednesday83

wednesday83 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Loads of people at work had the same issue, sadly very few little care about the quality. Why have HD if you dont care??
  16. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    We seem to have come full circle. :(

(See my Post#3!)
  17. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi guys, i've been thinking this for a good while now and while i thought it was just me looking far too hard for faults it seems that hasn't been the case at all. Noticed it on my tv and pj, terrible pq decrease, even noticed what seems like phosphor trails and occasional pixelating on particular programmes. Not happy at all about this especially when paying an extra £10 for hd on top of the already extortionate sky full package price. Seems like most of us are paying more than we were when we first started up on hd but were paying it for worse pq, if only there was substancial evidence to back this up :rolleyes:
  18. derek500

derek500 Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Can you give examples of programmes and channels you're experiencing these problems?
  19. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah it's mainly on fast moving pictures ie football, rugby, tennis, even when i watch action films im noticing it, no matter what im watching im noticing it some way or another, i have rang sky and told them and they have sent a signal to my box which has made no difference at all. I have now enquired about multiroom and they told me i can get a new 1tb box for £49 and if my current hd+ box is playing up i will recieve a new box if it can't be fixed (that's if it is the box after seeing this thread im quite worried now).
  20. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    That "signal to the box" is a bit of their nonsense of course. What model of "box" is it?
  21. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    As much as i thought tbh :rolleyes:, it's an amstrad DRX-890
  22. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    :)
    We don't get many reports of faulty 890s, but there's a first time for everything, so it would probably be best to let them exchange it for a new one.
  23. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +307
    I had a faulty DRX890, worked fine for about 4 months then hit the floor like the piece of garbage it is, the SD performance was worse than the Thomson it replaced & the HD performance was fine, but I noticed the steady decline in bitrates as the months went by in 2011. So glad I cancelled its unreal:smashin:
  24. moss99

moss99 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    how can you find out bitrates?
  25. linowsat

linowsat Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Some receivers can show you the bitrate (many linux stb's) . Or you can find them on my page. What bitrates you and over what period you are looking for?
  26. Jacksdad999

Jacksdad999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Does anybody else notice in hd movies on sky that movement is really blurry? Particularly when people move the image doubles up. I know it's not my tv coz it doesn't do it on tv programmes just hd films.
  27. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Ratings:
    +68
    looked like Channel5 had an issue that day, not that it was easy to see the pixelisation on the SD channel on satellite through ( but it was there at the same time on HD and SD channels and on forign channels showing the game), seems they are trying to give al jazera a run for there money on SD picture quality.

It's gotta be said, that HD sports when sky are in charge of the OB, especially championship games are, damned near impeccable picture quality, you cannot fault it.

Ghostleader, Sky UK still have some of the highest bit-rates in Europe by far, especially sky sports HD.

Most European providers have 5 or more HD channels on a transponder with a lower average bit-rates and bandwidth hogging sports channel mixed in. Sky UK is a maximum of 4 still. Sky sports usually share with only 2 other channels. Canal Digital scandinavia and Sky Germany are only other providers who match or better Sky UK HD bitrates.

discovery HD and Syfy have just had SBO HD1 moved onto there transponder with the bandwidth hogging ESPN HD.

Sky need to snap up a vacated transponder and Shift Discovery and possibly E4 or FX to it and there should be room for a new channel there too. or get channel 4 to host E4 on there own transponder and have room for 2 new channels on that new transponder!!!
  28. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Films have half the the number of fields, and should be treated as progressive by your TV, if not you end up with what you describe. That is most likely the fault of your TV.
  29. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,083
    I've been watching quite a lot of golf on Sky Sports HD and have been concerned about the picture quality recently. Quite often I can see multiple balls (ooer matron!) when the ball is on it's downward trajectory. I just think that since they introduced 3D that even the sports channels are showing problems on Sky.
  30. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Or when it's falling?;)
    They don't adapt the 3D cameras' outputs for standard channels do they?