Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Phone Line Problems

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by DanStanDaMan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hopefully someone can assist me with some advice that will save me £99 + £65 an hour for a SKY engineer!

Where the phone line comes into the house there is a BT phone line box (althoug my provider is SKY). Into this plugs an adaptor with two sets of blue and white cables plugged into it.

Into this adaptor I plug my ADSL micro filter which allows me to use the phone and modem on the same line. The Sky Plus HD box is shown as plugged in but appears to be on a seperate line.

My problem is I have no dialling tone at all on my phone line so I cannot make / receive any calls. For the last two weeks I could but the line was AWFUL! Weirdly, and rather confusingly the internet is working fine.

I have tried changing the connection cable for the phone, and I have changed the actual phone as well (and changed the handset batteries!) - neither makes any difference.

I have taken the front off the box to get to the master BT phone line - the phones do not work, but plug the ADSL filter in here and the internet is fine.(in fact it is far better than usual!)............

Can someone assist please! SKY have told me that there is a call out fee PLUS hourly rate if the problem is found to be inside my house...... o_O
  2. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    To begin with the Sky call out charge is £65 which covers the cost of the visit and whatever needs to be done, parts etc. and that's it.
    As the problem is with the phone line rather than Sky equipment what you have been quoted may well be correct if the job is passed on to Openreach.
    There is usually a slight improvement if the router is plugged into the test socket.
    If what's connected to the phone is the ADSL router, a Sky box and one phone the simplest way, I think, would be :
    Microfilter plugged into phone socket
    Lead taken from ADSL out to router
    Two way adaptor into phone out on microfilter with one lead to phone and the other to Sky box.

On the other hand do you really need the phone line connected to the Sky box?
    If you're within the first 12 months of a contract it's supposed to be connected but single box installations are rarely checked - Multiroom is, of course, a different matter
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Fernandez,

thanks for your help.

My knowledge of what the adapters are called is bad - I apologise!

The TV line is totally seperate and working fine.

Currently I have the ADSL microfilter plugged directly into the MAIN BT phone point (under the facia plate!). Into the Microfilter are the phone cable and modem cable. The internet is fine but there is jut a crackly dead line on the phone!
  4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    The charges you have been quoted are for a BT Openreach engineer visit, which, if my memory serves me right from when I had a problem around £99 callout and somewhere around £65 as an hourly fee.

Basically if you have a removable BOTTOM faceplate take this off and plug a phone (and only a phone, no splitters, filters, double adaptors) into the test socket and try it. if it still doesn't work either check your phone works somewhere else or try another phone. Did the advisor run a line test and did they say what the result was?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Miss Chief!

I have taken the bottom plate off but with just the phone plugged in there is nothing. I have tried a different cable and a different handset (and changed the batteries as well!).

The advisor did run some tests and said there were vaious faults but they couldn't rule out the problem being inside my house (although that was before I had taken the bottom facia plate off.).
  6. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +894
    Take the bottom face plate off and plug a microfilter into the Test Socket. Plug your phone into the phone connection on the microfilter and test it.
    Plug your modem/router into the ADSL socket of the microfilter and check everything is OK.

If the above works then you have a problem with your internal wiring and BT,(Openreach), will charge you £125 just to come out and tell you you have a fault with your internal wiring - without fixing it!!
  7. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    It's looking more and more like an internal wiring/configuration/equipment problem and nothing to do with Sky.

However, I'm a little confused (nothing new there) with these statements:

"Where the phone line comes into the house there is a BT phone line box... Into this plugs an adaptor with two sets of blue and white cables plugged into it.

Into this adaptor I plug my ADSL micro filter which allows me to use the phone and modem on the same line. The Sky Plus HD box is shown as plugged in but appears to be on a seperate line."

"Currently I have the ADSL microfilter plugged directly into the MAIN BT phone point (under the facia plate!). Into the Microfilter are the phone cable and modem cable. The internet is fine but there is jut a crackly dead line on the phone! "

If the modem works then so should the phone - voice and ADSL are filtered/separated by the microfilter (plus you're saying the Sky box is shown as connected)

Have you tried a different microfilter?
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    DSDM - what's your comment on this?
    I'd definitely take it out before testing anything.
  9. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    If he's gone into the test socket and only has a telephone plugged in and he's still not getting anything then he's already isolated all of his internal wiring. The next step is to try another telephone. If that still doesn;t work then really it needs to be an openreach visit. The master socket marks the point where your responsibility ends and Sky's starts. If you still get nothing in the test socket and you've tried another corded phone (£3.50 from Argos if you don't have one, handy as usable in a powercut too, cordless phones aren't) then it's an openreach visit as it's unlikely there's a fault internally.
  10. stuckinstandby

stuckinstandby New Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I think people (maybe just me) are confused because this is a Sky TV forum and this (to me) sounds like purely a phone line issue.

Just to clarify. You've removed all connections to your main socket, removed the flaceplate, attached a single phone directly to the master socket and you get no dial tone?

If you've done this and also verified that the phone itself definitely works (ie tried at a friend's house), then it's definitely NOT internal wiring. You should go back to Sky with this information and they should fix the problem (ie get OpenReach to fix it) as the problem is the external line coming into your house.

EDIT: Miss Chief beat me to it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  11. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    As I've said before this appears to be a phone problem but I'm still puzzled that the internet works whilst the phone doesn't.
    After all it all comes down the same phone line and is split off by the microfilter into ADSL and voice
    HowStuffWorks "ADSL Standards"
    So, if the internet works, why doesn't the phone? Faulty microfilter?
    Other than that it certainly looks like an Openreach job
  12. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Into the Test socket via a microfilter!!
  13. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Once you've checked your phone or have tried another, plug the phone only into the test socket. It will work regardless of a microfilter or not, although, of course, your BB won't work without one, but that's not the issue at the moment. At that point get back onto Sky to get another line test run. No automated line test is 100% accurate, hence the possibility of charges and the statement but if you've proved the phone works or tried another and you're in the test socket then it's extremely unlikely that Openreach can charge you in any way.

If his broadband works, and he's said it does, he should be testing the line without a Microfilter, to rule out the filter or his Router/modem as the cause of the problem.
  14. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Wrong way round me thinks! The broadband will always work, without a phone/fax machine/Sky box etc, filter or not.
    Phone/fax machine/Sky box etc, will not work without a filter.
    Houses with phone lines purely for broadband do not require a filter.

Check this: http:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  15. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    If you plug a phone straight into the socket with BB enabled on the line you'll still get a dial tone and can still use the phone. Whilst in order to use the BB along with the phone you need one, to check the line he should have the telephone connected only for testing purposes.
  16. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi!

Sorry for not replying quicker - it was my wedding anniversary yesterday so that was my priority!

I have had another play / look at the cabling.

I have tried all the recommendations (although I will pop to argos to pick up the cheap handset to try as well!)

Having had a look at the box / wiring again the box is telewest broadband (NOT BT as I previously thought - Sorry). Next to the box there is a hole in the wall (from outside) and a cable coming into the house (I assume THIS is the phone line????). This cable connects into a white block using two blue/white wires (both wires seem to still be in place). Alongside this in another connection is the SKY TV box cable again connected using the blue/white wires (both wires seem to still be in place).

Before there was a problem the MICROFILTER plugged into the fron of the telewest wallbox. Into this was the connection box for the phone line/sky tv box as well as the Broadband connection. Everything worked fine!

After the phone line stopped working I tried all the different recommendations above.

i) Using just the phone into the master box - NOTHING
    ii) Using the phone into the microfilter (and a new one to boot!) into the master box - Nothing
    iii) Using phone into blue/white cabled connector box and that into the master box - Nothing
    iv) Using phone into blue/white cabled connector box into microfilter and that into the master box - also nothing................................

Now for a call to sky - I will update shortly! Thanks for your advice so far!

Dan
    The phone into
  17. SevloW

SevloW Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +845
    I am confused - any chance of some photos ?
  18. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    JUst on the phone to sky now so I will updae shortly (with photos if necesary!)
  19. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK so I spoke with Sky and they believe that the problem is outside. They ran a line check and found a line fault which they are arranging for an engineer to sort.

Thanks for all you help guys and gals!

For info the call out fee as quoted by them is £99.88 with £64.** per hour labour charge.

Also I hope I have added some pics to show what a mess of cables I have!

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm363/danstandaman/P1010771.jpg
    Pic 1 shows my phone line setup as it was before the problem. (Ignore the large white box thats an old virgin box no longer in use.)
    The master socket has a cable going into it but I believe that is the old Telewest line. The NEW phone line is the single cable through the hole in the wall on the left!

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm363/danstandaman/P1010774.jpg
    Pic 2 is a close up of the connector block of the BT/Sky phone line (the one through the wall on pic 1) with the Sky+ connection. This unit was plugged into the master socket (Telewest).

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm363/danstandaman/P1010775.jpg 3 shows the whole connection before it plugs into the master socket.
    The black cable to the right is the Sky+ TV cable. The other one is the phone line (coming in through the wall on pic 1!). The phone line is then split by the Microfilter between the phone and broadband.

I hope this makes sense! If and when I get any update from the engineers I will update here. Thanks.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  20. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    The last pic wasn't linked properly - I've corrected it - OK?
    Logi
  21. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure whether any of them are working now??!!

I will try this way!!

PIC 1

[​IMG]

PIC 2
    [​IMG]

PIC 3
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  22. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,491
    One and two were working, three wasn't so I corrected it and then it was working.:D
    I'll leave the new post though with the pictures showing.
  23. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Who left wiring in a state like that?:eek:
    Especially pics 2 and 3

But, although Sky are helping, this is a problem for BT and/or the cable provider
  24. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Openreach won't touch internal wiring without a hefty bill.

In the first pic, get rid of the double adaptor and put the Filter direct into the socket first.
  25. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That is how the engineers did it during the original install!

I had not touched it until this problem occurred!

When I first phoned Sky about the problems they quoted me the openreach prices - hence the reason for this thread! I wanted to do everything possible to ensure the problem was not my fault / inside my house!
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  26. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    What "engineers"?
  27. SevloW

SevloW Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +845
    Shocking way to leave cables in that state :thumbsdow
  28. DanStanDaMan

DanStanDaMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having never had Sky / BT phones before I didn't realise it was a problem (especially as it did work fine!!)

Anyway - good news! I came back from work today to find the phone line working. It sounds about 95% clear, a few distant crackles but otherwise fine. :)

Ominously there is plenty of spray paint all over the pavement outside though - my guess is a hole will be appearing in due course - so long as it is not early in the morning!!

Thanks for all your help / advice / peace of mind!

Dan