1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Magic Eye - picture on second TV has become snowy

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by LemonTwist, Sep 2, 2011.

1. LemonTwist

LemonTwist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a Sky+ HD box in the lounge, and for the last few years I've been using a Sky Magic Eye so I can watch Sky in my bedroom. It was working fine for all those years, but a couple of weeks ago the Sky picture on the TV in my bedroom has become very snowy and it's stayed like that ever since. However, the sound is still OK and all the terrestrial channels (including Freeview) are working fine. I can still change the Sky channels on the bedroom TV using the Sky remote control via the Magic Eye. It's just the picture that's the problem.

I don't know what made the Sky picture go so fuzzy, as we haven't moved any cables or connections - it's gone like it for no apparent reason. The Sky picture on the main TV in the lounge is fine.

We've tried re-building the cables and making sure the connectors are in firmly, but that hasn't helped. I've tried re-tuning the bedroom TV (automatic tuning), but that hasn't worked either. The same fuzzy Sky channel came straight back. We even bought a new Sky Magic Eye and fitted that, but even that hasn't done the trick!

Has anyone got any other ideas for what might be wrong?
  2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    How does your bedroom TV receive Freeview, through the Sky box or by combining the Sky and terrestrial signals elsewhere?
  3. LemonTwist

LemonTwist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is how I think it's set up: the main aerial in the loft is connected to the back of the Sky +HD box, and there is a long cable leading from the Sky box to my bedroom TV. So I think the Freeview signal on my bedroom TV must be coming through the Sky box, as whenever I disconnect the cable which joins the magic eye to the Sky box, the Freeview and terrestrial channels stop working as well as the Sky channel.
  4. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    OK. Try changing the Sky box's RF out channel number, (search on here to find out how). You might be in an area where the Freeview channels have changed in the past couple of weeks or so.
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    It wouldn't - all it does is get the remote control back the other way - nothing to do with getting the video and audio up to the extension TV.
    What's gone wrong, or rather happened, is probably as S N says, so try changing the Sky output channel and setting the extension TV's analogue tuner specifically to that number.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. LemonTwist

LemonTwist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to you both. I've just re-set the RF out channel number, retuned the bedroom TV and my Sky picture is clear again! :)
    It probably was something to do with the Freeview channels changing - in my area (Anglia) the digital switchover takes place in November and I think they're doing some preparation work for that. Round about the same time my Sky picture went fuzzy, I lost access to several Freeview channels including Sky News and Dave (when I googled this I found they're all on Multiplex C). However, when I changed the Sky RF out number, and re-tuned the bedroom TV, these lost channels came back. Thanks again for your help.
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Glad you are sorted!
  8. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +451
    When a Freeview multiplex shares the same frequency (UHF channel number) as the Sky RF output, the result is "grainy Sky pictures" and total or partial loss of Freeview channels in the multiplex. Yours was a classic example and easy to diagnose by anyone in the know (nice one Stevenage Neil).