1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Magic Eye or Wireless AV Sender

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by copers, Mar 29, 2007.

1. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys, great forum.

Can anyone give advice on the best option for sending a Sky+ feed to an upstairs bedroom.

I have the option of running a cable directly from the Sky box up the side of the house and into the bedroom using Sky's magic eye.

I am also considering the wireless AV sender route but am unsure what the quality of the signal is like with these and whether or not they can also send the Sky remote signal to the Sky box from the bedroom. This option would allow me to move the TV to a different room at a later date if required.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Cheers.
  2. AnilS

AnilS Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I use a mgaic and its very good, but have no experience of a sender. I have heard friends comment, that the sender is prone to interference, especially if passing through alot of barriers , like walls :confused:

As the magic eye is hardwired up to the bedroom telly, the picture is stable and very good, but the sound is mono not nicam.

Regards, Anil.
  3. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response Anil. I am really surprised about the sound being in mono. That will probably send me down the wireless route.
  4. markelle

markelle Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Oneforall 1715 av sender great signal strength to upstairs.
  5. erniebert1

erniebert1 Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I use the digisender from www.easylife.co.uk and they work a treat. been using it for over 5 years now and no probs, even when I have 2 other wireless devices in the house :)
  6. brunomanson

brunomanson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that some american digi senders use a 5.8 ghz which apparently is the same a cordless phone is this likely to have more or less inteference than the 2.6 ghz that most use (as this may get inteference from a wireless network)??
  7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,831
    Also consideration needs to be given to whether the TV in the bedroom is likely to be watched independently of the Sky box. Of course you could use an indoor aerial to watch terrestrial (analogue or digital) TV, but you could have variable results. So, as long as the main TV and the bedroom TV is happy to watch the same Sky channels, then the video sender may be the "cleanest" installation. If however, you want to watch a decent terrestrial channel in your bedroom but also would like Sky to be on a different channel in the lounge (?), then wiring is the only way to go.
  8. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to everyone for the responses, you have given me plenty to think about.
  9. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just to clarify something...

With the Sky magic eye, would the cable from the Sky box to the bedroom carry a terrestrial analogue signal (afterall the roof aerial is connected to the Sky box) as well as the Sky feed or does it purely carry whatever is being viewed on the Sky box downstairs?

And also with a wireless sender, I take it this is whatever is being output on the scart socket the device is plugged in to???

Cheers.
  10. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831
    The RF cable out of the Sky box carries both the Sky UHF picture AND any terrestrial signals as well (analogue or digital for that matter).

Correct, if the Digisender is put on the Sky box, only the presently viewed picture is transmitted.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm another one who needs to use a sender to run Sky from my own bedroom, to my sons bedroom.

I currently have the system set up using an old Sky supplied "TV Link" system.
    It just doesn't seem to supply a good pic to the secondary set (I suspect my wiring skills are to blame).

I've thought about going down the wireless sender route instead. But, my sons TV only has one scart, which his PS2 is currently plugged into, so the Sky feed needs to go straight into the RF socket.

Do I need an RF modulator (whatever that is) in this case for it to work properly?

And recommendations for which wireless kit to use would be gratefully received.
  12. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831
    TBH, if you have an RF cable already through to your son's bedroom and the picture is not optimum, if I were you I'd spend time on checking the connections at all parts in the chain first. If you did the cabling yourself, what cable did you use to do this? Have you used the "satellite" quality cable which is normally used to connect a dish to the Sky box? This is the best shielded cable and is excellent for home projects, if a little "stiff" to work with.

If you go to the wireless sender option, these usually work off the Scart. I'd look at having a Scart switch which will allow your sons PS3 and wireless connection to be connected simultaneoulsy. It should switch as to waht ever source is switched on.

I would not recommend going to an RF modualtor route as your son's TV will also need a terrestrial signal for "normal" TV. The wirelss video sender only sends one "signal" at a time, and that is whatever sourcer it is connected to at the transmitting end. So whatever is on the Sky box is only what would be on an RF modulator output anyway. Unless you combined the RF modulator AND the current RF cable for terrestrial TV.

Hope that makes sense.
  13. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yes, it does, thx.

I should have pointed out that his TV has no terrestrial feed at all. Only the Sky feed i mentioned.
    Also, the cable used was supplied with the kit, and yes, i believe it is of the higher quality shielded type (it was certainly very stiff to work with!!!)
  14. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831
    Part II

What are the terrestrial pictures like on yur son's TV?

If they are good, then I suggest you may have yout Sky box outputting on a UHF channel which is getting interfeence from other sources, like video, or other TV channels.

To see what UHF channel the SKy box is transmitting on, go into Services, System Set Up, then press 0-0-1 and select (this is a hiden option), RF Outlets.

I've set mine to 25 to avoid clashes with other channels. You would need to retune any TV picking up sky in your house via RF.

As a rule of thumb no UHF channel should be the same as another (obviously),
    or be either multiples of 5 or 9 channels adjacent to another channel.

HTH
  15. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831
    Cross posting!!
  16. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831
    But AFAIK, "TV LinK" is a bit of kit that will allow a Sky box to be controlled over the existing COAX cable. IT is not a wireless sender. There must be a coax cable between your Sky box and your sons' TV, at the end of which is the Sky link to remote control operation. That being the case, this coax cable is also carrying terrestrial signals from your Sky box as long as your Sky box is hooked up to normal terrestrial cabling for your main TV. OR is your Sky box used in complete isolation form the TV aerial cabling?
  17. sydmac

sydmac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've recently got sky and have been told it is possible to get sky in another room and change channel using a magic eye. I was also tolkd that there were no wires needed to connect it to the sky box. From reading forum threads I have seen that magic eye requires a coax cable from the sky box to the tv and that wireless senders do not (but cannot change channel). I was wondering if there is any way to use a wireless sender in conjunction with magic eye (or any other way) so I can get sky in my room upstairs and change channel without dropping a wire through the floor to the living room?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  18. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sydmac,

You can definitely get wireless video senders that allow the remote signals to be transmitted as well - I currently use one.

The wireless unit sending the Sky picture normally has a little IR transmitter that you place over the correct spot on your Sky box. Then when you use a remote in the other room the IR signal is beamed at the Sky box. No wires required.

They are really useful but note that you can only transmit whatever the Sky box is currently tuned to so the TV picture in both rooms has to be the same.
  19. sydmac

sydmac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats fine as it would be for use upstairs when the kids are asleep so we will be the ones using the sky. Which brand do you have and would you recommend it?
  20. copers

copers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The one I use is made by a company called TriStar. I originally got it from Argos but can't see it on their site anymore.

It works well for me, picture quality is good, I would recommend it but I have never used any other so there could be better out there.
  21. ds2011

ds2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but my question definitely has relevance!

I currently have Sky+ HD installed in my living room and wish to beam the picture to my bedroom (on the same floor). I understand that this is possible through a magic eye, however it wouldn't be ideal for me to run a cable through to the bedroom. Therefore, I am looking for a wireless alternative to a magic eye and would like to know what options are available to me.

Would a 'One For All SV1100' (http://cheapestelectrical.co.uk/sv1100-one-for-all-remote-control-extender.html) do the trick? I was advised by a salesman in Currys that it would, but having looked at it online it appears that it only allows you to control the Sky box in the living room from anywhere in the house. There's no mention of beaming the signal/picture from one room to another. Am I right? If so, is there anything better that anybody could recommend? If the SV1100 would work, how would I go about connecting and operating it?

Thanks in advance!
  22. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +450
    That is only a remote extender so your correct it wont send the video. I've used cheap argos video senders before but the results were not great, from what ive read you need to spend a bit more money and get 5.8ghz extenders.
  23. ds2011

ds2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks un1eash. Can anybody please suggest some model(s) to me of what I'll need in these circumstances?
  24. ds2011

ds2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? Sorry to keep bumping the thread!
  25. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,831