Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky in the bedroom without Multiroom?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by 1LeeDenton, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Hi all,

I'm trying to create a setup so that we can watch Sky in our bedroom, without having to commit to multiroom.

We currently have Sky+ in the living room, running directly to the TV via scart, and we do not have an aerial on the house.

Running cable(s) around the house is perhaps not my preferred option, as I don't have any kit (staple gun etc) for doing that. I'm sure I saw in an Argos catalogue a few months back a kit that 'sent' the picture from downstairs to another TV in the house.

Whilst it would be nice to be able to control the Sky+ box from upstairs, this is not essential. Our main aim is just to try and free up the congestion on the TV in the living room, as there are 3 of us in the house who want a piece of the pie (Me = XBox, Mrs = soaps, Strictly Come to Big Brother in The Jungle 10, Junior = Chuggington, Mr Maker etc).....

I've tried searching these forums for an answer, but nothing is jumping out at me. Same applies for Argos. Any help much appreciated :thumbsup:
  2. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    If you want to watch different Sky channels in different rooms, then Multiroom is the only answer.
    If you don't want subscription channels another receiver with it's own feed from the dish/LNB (and possibly a freesatfromsky £20 card) will give you a choice of channels in different rooms.

A video sender (as per the Argos catalogue) or taking an output from RF2 OUT on the Sky box to another TV will show only what the main Sky box is tuned to.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Thanks fernandez.

Just to throw in another one, if I were to use a wireless video sender like this one from Argos, would I be able to view stuff that was saved on the Planner on the Sky+ box downstairs?? Basically, is it a case of whatever is on screen downstairs, will be onscreen upstairs? Or is it that you can only watch 'live' programmes as they're being transmitted?
  4. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    You can watch anything that the Sky box is showing/outputting either live or recorded and (in most cases) be able to control the box from the other room
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Thanks (again) fernandez. I've got this Wireless Video Sender kit reserved for collection from Argos later today......seems to get some good reviews, and well within 'budget' for this little project :thumbsup:
  6. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Am I right in saying that if you use a wireless sender, you can basically use all the functions of Sky+ in a bedroom, without having the main TV on?
  7. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,804
    You are indeed correct.....we've got full control of our Sky+ box (in the living room) from the bedroom :thumbsup:
  8. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Do you have to have the main TV on when watching in your bedroom & can you pause & rewind?
  9. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    It's not necessary for the TV to be on just the Sky box as that's what's supplying the signal.
    And, yes, as said before (and re-read the links) you can control all the functions of the Sky box
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-sky/1107705-watching-sky-bedroom.html
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Do both the receiver & sender have to be plugged into the mains?
  11. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Yes
  12. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for all your help.

I have 1 last question, honest. If I purchased the 5.4 ghz video sender from Maplin, would I be able to discard my portable indoor aerial, as I would be using the main aerial signal from my Sky+ box, attached to the main communal satellite/aerial?
  13. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Unfortunately not because the video sender only transmits the output from the Sky box.
    If you want to get rid of your portable aerial then you would need to take a feed from RF2 OUT on the Sky box to the other TV.
    If you're doing that then you could also forget the video sender and use the output from RF2 in conjunction with a magic eye/Sky Link *but* the audio would only be mono and picture quality lower
  14. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +894
    On the other hand, there are no channels obtainable from the portable aerial that cannot be received from the Sky box. The only "but" is that both upstairs and downstairs have to watch the same channel.
  15. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    So I may not need a portable aerial?? Can anyone confirm this the case with this setup/model?
  16. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    If you want to watch a terrestrial channel on the upstairs TV whilst someone is watching a different channel on Sky, then yes you need an aerial.
    The video sender only outputs the signal from the Sky box and does NOT feed an aerial signal to the second TV.
    This, I thought, was explained in my earlier post
  17. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    What do you want to do?

If you ever foresee the situation whereby somebody downstairs wants to watch something different from somebody viewing upstairs, (terrestrial only), then you will still need the portable aerial.
    If only one TV, at any one time, will be viewing TV then you can throw the portable aerial away.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I would say that 99% of the time only 1 TV will be watched, so it looks like I will be able to get rid of the aerial, thanks for that.

One query though. At this moment in time I have both scarts on my Sky+ box used up, (one attached to the main TV & the other attached to a DVD recorder) which scart socket on the Sky+ box, does the sender scart have to be plugged into & would a splitter work if two scarts were attached together?
  19. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    It usually plugs into the socket marked TV and make sure that you get a video sender with a 'through' socket.
    That way the sender plugs into the Sky box and the lead to the TV into the video sender
  20. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I've purchased this one...... http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224299

Will this model have everything I need?
  21. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
  23. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I've managed to get the Nikkai Video sender setup, with no problems, although there is a little fuzz on the text box. (Sky+ info window) Is there anyway to alter this, or am I just being a little picky?

Special thanks to Stevenage Neil & fernandez for their much appreciated help. :smashin:
  24. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Probably not. How is the picture with channel logos or subtitles?
  25. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    There's a little haze over the text, looks like ghosting. I've fiddled with the aerial & all 4 channels, but channel 1 is the best. I haven't tried subtitles yet.

I feel I can still get another 10% out of the picture if I fiddle with it a bit more, I hope.
  26. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    If I obtain another Sky+ remote to use in the bedroom, will there be any conflicts with the other remote control? Also can I use a Sky+ HD remote ok, on SD Sky+?
  27. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    If I obtain another Sky+ remote to use in the bedroom, will there be any conflicts with the other remote control? - NO (unless two people are trying to change channels at the same time:D)

Also can I use a Sky+ HD remote ok, on SD Sky+? - YES see here

Sky Digibox remote control codes for your television
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  28. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    :smashin: