Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky in another room

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by favemuppet, Aug 3, 2009.

1. favemuppet

favemuppet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Coaxial socket in the kitchen.

I've tried tuning a TV to get a terrestrial signal, but no luck. I therefore assume the socket is not connected to the aerial but to the satellite dish (which is on the wall above the kitchen). I also base this assumption on the fact that two cables (out of the quad LNB) disappear into the wall.

If I turn on the sky box, which is connected up in another room, and connect a TV to the socket with a normal coax cable, should I be able to tune the TV to pick up the Sky signal?

If not, why would it be connected to the dish?
  2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    What is connected, and where, to the back of your Sky box?
  3. T800

T800 Active Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Assuming with wires/cables tends to go wrong.:thumbsdow
    To be sure always do a continuation test with a multimeter.

The signal from the LNB needs to be decoded by the Sky box before you can watch the content. The only way you can watch Sky in another room with one Sky box is to have either a cable from the Sky box to the other TV or use a wireless video sender.

It is possible that if a RF coax cable is connected to the RF out on the Sky box and wired to that socket you would get Sky.
  4. favemuppet

favemuppet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sky box is connected to the dish in the normal way. It's a bog standard installation - nothing odd about it.

It's just that there are 2 extra cables coming out of the LNB that disappear into the wall, and I'm trying to fathom out for what purpose this has been done.

There is a socket in the kitchen which does not seem to be connected to the aerial (cable behind the plate is black, whereas all cables from the aerial are brown), and it doesnt produce a TV signal. This is why I wondered if it was connected to the dish, given that its in the same wall that the cables disappear into. Yet it has a coax "socket" rather than an "F" type one.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
    So, you are saying that the only things connected to your Sky box are the two satellite cables - both screwed in with F connectors, and a phone line. There are no RF coax cables attached in any way?

If so, if you terrestrial aerial enters the lounge via a faceplate, how many coax connectors are on the faceplate?
  6. favemuppet

favemuppet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite. This is a base Sky box so only one satellite feed into box, screwed in with the usual F connector. No aerial socket in lounge (but are in 3 bedrooms) - so all TV in lounge comes via the sat/sky. No phone line attached (but not relevant here). No coax cables attached. Just the sat cable.

The aerial splitter has 4 cables - 3 accounted for (in bedrooms), 4th one don't know. Hence why I originally thought the kitchen. But now not so sure, given that it starts life at the splitter as brown and the cable behind the faceplate (which does have a coax socket) is black.

The LNB has 3 black cables - one to the box, the other 2 into the wall. 4th "point" in LNB is unattached.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
    Presumably you can pick up regular TV in the bedrooms?
  8. favemuppet

favemuppet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - no problem there.
  9. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
    Well then I have to say I am flummoxed.

I find it hard to believe that they would pipe the terrestrial signal to all the bedrooms but not the lounge.......

Satellite cables are normally terminated in F connectors - perhaps the previous tenant utilised the existing coax faceplate in the kitchen for a satellite connection. The only way to test that is to make up a coax to F connector lead and move your Sky box to the kitchen to try it out.

As to the third satellite cable - could it not be lurking "somewhere" in the lounge for possible upgrade to Sky+? How does the existing cable exit the wall?
  10. favemuppet

favemuppet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it could be the "remnants" of a multiroom connection could it not? In which case the only way to test it is like you say. Might try this.

As for the third cable - no idea. There is certainly nothing "lurking" anywhere, but I cannot believe it just disappears behind the wall!