1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ HD Planner Rebuild taking 24hr+

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by JohnWin, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I used the service menu to set off a planner rebuild (4-0-1 + 7) and the screen then showed the housekeeping message.

It has now shown this for over 24hrs so I am a bit concerned it might have gone off into a world of its own.

Has anyone else known this to take so long?

If it has locked up, then how can I get it back? :lease:
  2. jay61076

jay61076 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It should have taken only a few seconds or maybe a min at most try a full power down reset and disconnect the lnb feeds for 30 seconds then power the box back up but leave on standby for a further 2 min before pressing the sky button
  3. steve.r

steve.r Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Yep defiantly locked up. The housekeeping message only appears for a second or two. You need to re-boot it. Just unplug for 30 seconds and then re-connect. Allow another two and a half minuets or so and it will eventually power up again.

As a Sky-HD owner this is a procedure you will get very used to performing.:thumbsdow
  4. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yup - you're right.

I didn't want to do the power plug reset in case it was still defragging but I have now and the box is back. It seems to have retained all the recordings and done the defrag (programmes that were stuttering and loosing sound are now OK) :thumbsup:

Cheers guys
  5. jonstannes

jonstannes Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Did the same to me,ended up unplugging and doing a a software update to be on the safe side.Been ok had no problems so far,and i must just add that my 6 month old HD box has never crashed.Is that a record ?or am i very lucky?
  6. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Can you just remind me - how do I force a software upgrade? :confused:
  7. jonstannes

jonstannes Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Unplug hold down back up on box plug back in wait for all the lights on box light up let back up go,wait 10mins +
  8. 1pudding1

1pudding1 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    What does a planner rebuild do? Is it something everyone should do once in a while?
  9. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    My understanding is that it is effectively a disk defragment function.

Certainly the visible effect on my box is to solve problems such as picture judder and sound drop out, particularly on HD recordings. For example, I have a HD recording of Galactica which was juddering and dropping sound on playback. Now after running this, the problem seems to have disappeared. :thumbsup:

I would say it is probably a good idea to do a rebuild from time to time, depending on your usage, as you would a defrag run on your HDD on your PC.
  10. suffolktoon

suffolktoon New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I've never had to do this procedure and I've had my box since before the World cup.
  11. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I've had to do the reboot a couple of times, typical symptoms that cause me to do this are a sudden inexplicable loss of signal or signal quality on one of the inputs. Before fiddling with any cables or anything else, a quick reboot seems to solve the problem. It seems to be more of a processing issue than a signal issue.

On the planner rebuild, I probably need to do this about once every six months, although I usually don't, instead waiting until I have a problem with glitching and sound drop out at about 8 or 9 months. :rolleyes:
  12. CaffeineJunkie

CaffeineJunkie Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I think a planner rebuild just rebuilds the disk indexes.
    Theres no way it could defragment the entire disk in less than a minute.

I've done it several times (it cured a problem when playback of recordings was stuttering). I have a 750GB and it took less than 20 seconds. If it is full disk defragmentation they should sell the software to microsoft :)
  13. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I didn't realise it did it so quickly - I normally set mine off over night.

I don't quite understand how it produces such an improvement in performance by just rebuilding the indexes. :confused:
  14. gblades

gblades Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Probably its just the reboot it does at the end of the rebuild which actually fixes the problem. A planner rebuilt is a lot easier and kinder on the box then trying to find the correct mains plug and pulling it out for a few seconds.
  15. Reed_360

Reed_360 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just out of interest how do you get the planner to rebuild or whatever it is ???

I have just started getting the odd dodgy sound loss moment, or a weird judder on my HD channels so would like to try this before bending the installers ear (again..)

cheers,
  16. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Press Services, 4, 0, 1, Select (you don't have any screen feedback for the 0 and the 1)

This takes you into the service menu. Rebuild Planner is item 7 (from memory)

Full Reset deletes everything so don't use that one ! !
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. mugsy

mugsy Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I've done a few planner rebuilds in the year I've had my HD box, mainly just to reboot it without having to get up and unplug at the mains ;)

Mine too is now hanging on the housekeeping screen when doing the rebuild. I've left it for about an hour but no progress. As previous posters have said, when it used to work it only took a few seconds. The reason for the rebuild/reboot is also to resolve playback problems with programs stuttering which looking through this forum a few people seem to be getting. What's the thinking on this, hard disk on it's way out possibly? :( These problems have only developed in the last week or two for me.

jonstannes - after you did a software update does your planner rebuild now reboot the box at the end as it should? Also, I'm assuming you loose all your recordings if you do a software update?
  18. mugsy

mugsy Member

Ratings:
    +22
    OK, so I tried my luck with a forced update (unplug and hold backup when plugging back in). All my settings where kept so I wonder if it did actually download/install the software again but anyway the planner rebuild is now working correctly! :thumbsup:

We'll see how the box holds up from now...

Oh, and to answer my question, all your recordings are kept.
  19. rob virgo

rob virgo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    seeing as this is an old thread i presume the planner info is out of date.401 enter doesnt work for me.
    tried serching to no avail

juddering and freezing picture as well.

rob v
  20. JohnWin

JohnWin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Have you tried the unplug, wait for 30 seconds and plug back in 'maintenance' operation?
  21. kevmarshall

kevmarshall Member

Ratings:
    +220
    With new EPG it is Services -0-0-1- Select...........Re-Build (7)
    • Thanks Thanks x 5