1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Hd Multiroom without subscription

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by bizzybee, May 17, 2012.

1. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    Can anyone give me an answer to this. I have the full sky package on Sky + multiroom, I have just changed my Downstairs Main Sky+ box to a second hand Sky Hd box without the HD Subsription after calling sky and they sorted the card, and now i can get FTA Channels. Can i run another cable to my standard Sky box (multiroom) and add an additional Sky Hd box to get FTA (FREE TO AIR) hd channels without HD Subscription.

Hope this makes sence?
    Cheers Forum.
  2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    Yes you can, and I have a strong suspicion that the HD sub is to be dropped very soon......
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Hi.
    Obviously you can replace a machine with any other of your choice and watch any free channels that it can receive, but what's the point about running another cable?:confused:
  4. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    I was wanting to add another Sky Hd Box that will allow my son to record programs, and that will require another coax cable to allow that function, and i can pick up a decent second hand Sky HD+ BOX on the web, but i was wanting to make sure that this was practical before i bought a further HD+ Box.

Cheers Forum.
  5. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    It won't record without a subscription...
  6. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So I`ll require a Sky HD subscription to allow the second HD Box to function with Recording. What if i just got the HD Box and hooked it up with the existing single cable which is on the standard box, will i still be able to receive HD on FTA channels.

Cheers Forum.
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    No. You will require a "recording subscription" which will only enable you to record the FTA channels, and which, surprisingly enough, is the same cost as a multiroom subscription allowing you to record anything on your main subscription.
  8. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    You'll always get the HD FTA channels on an HD receiver, they are FTA.

I thought the new HD box was in addition to your existing Sky+ box, if it is replacing the sky+ box for multiroom then your multiroom sub will allow recording.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    It doesn't require it, and a second cable is only to allow recording of one channel while watching another.
    Yes, the HD free channels are as free as any other free channels.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. pakolainen

pakolainen Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So no point in signing up for HD subs then? Or I'd this a 'soon' that could last a year?
  11. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    I suspect within the next 30 days.............
  12. pakolainen

pakolainen Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sweet. It was about 30 days ago that I was asking about quality increase of HD over SD. And whether it was worth the extra outlay.
    Free HD - sweet.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thats good.
    So i can get another second hand Sky HD box and connect it to the standard Sky Box`s Single Coax cable( Bedroom) and hopefully the existing Sky card will work in the HD Box. The reason I`m asking is that we would like to get the FTA HD through HDMI. I know that there is not many to choose from, but with the olympics in a couple of months, then HD would be a bonus, and perhaps certain events might be shown in 3D??..

Cheers Forum
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Yes, you can do that, and yes you will be able to watch the BBC's free 3D coverage of some of the running, jumping, throwing, and kicking, in a few weeks time:). Call Sky to "pair" your card with the new machine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Logiciel

Would any sky HD box be sufficient to do this, even if it has twin connections, like sky HD anytime and just use one of the F plug connections for the single coax cable.
    Cheers Forum
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  16. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Yes, all Sky PVRs have two Satellite In sockets but you don't have to connect both if you don't want to, or if you can't because you don't have them.
    The only effect that has to prevent you from watching one channel while recording another, which is no big deal for most people, including me.;)
    How did "anytime" come into this?:confused:
    HTH - Logi
  17. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    "Anytime" was just a reference what i was looking for, it was just to find out if "any" sky HD box would be sufficient to get FTA HD including one with twin F Plug connections (PVR). I know that i would have to pay a further sub to get the recording facility, but i`m more than happy to know that using a single F plug connection would get me FTA HD. the choice is that i can source either a Sky HD box with a single F Plug Connection OR a Sky HD box with a Twin F Plug Connection.
    Cheers For the Info Logiciel Nice one.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  18. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Anytime is Sky's system that automatically downloads items from the satellite for subscribers to watch at any time.
    There is also Anytime+ which allows items to be downloaded from the Internet.
    On that point about the choice between "single F Plug Connection OR Twin" note that I wrote "all Sky PVRs have two Satellite In sockets".
    The only Sky machine that does not have both is one that they've introduced recently and that is only a receiver, not a PVR, so that it does not record at all, but not many of those are on general sale yet.
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  19. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    It might be worthwhile running an ethernet cable as well from your router if your interested in Anytime + , or getting into BBC iplayer on games consoles etc. cheap as chips and bang up to date
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0055PDXL8/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1337340389&sr=8-4
    The multiroom for £10 per month is I think a good deal for kids and the HD and recording facility thrown in as freebies. Plus you can watch all the channels you subscribe to
    Make sure you run satelite quality RF cable
    And any spare cable you can run cable from your main box to your bedroom from RF 2 and buy a magic eye to control the box
    Keep busy !!
  20. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I`ve seen those ones that are just receivers , and they are quite new to the market, and probably expensive even second hand.... So i`ll sourse the web markets and get one with Twin F Plugs and just use it to get HD FTA, as i `m not too bothered about the recording facility, as long as its HD 3D ready, then hopefully the Olympics will broadcast some events on 3D.
    Once again Cheers for the Info.
  21. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    My Tv at present is a Smart Tv so i should get web access to tv apps through that. I`m trying to cut down on the clutter (lol). I have RF2 going to my bedroom, but the lcd tv that i have can`t pick up the remote code for it to function I am in the process of changing that Tv, so hopefull my old lcd 40" Sony will marry up to the Sky box through the magic eye once i get a version 9 remote.
    Cheers Bud.
  22. X monkfish69 X

X monkfish69 X Member

Ratings:
    +26
    What is your source on this information ? How do you know or 'suspect' this is the case ?
  23. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Any sky remote will work the magic eye

Have you switched on the RF 2 power ?? It needs 9 volts for the magic eye to work. Its switched off by default

Whats the make and model of TV in bedroom ?
  24. bizzybee

bizzybee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So any sky remote will marry up with the magic eye. Thats good to know, saves me buying a 9 version.
    The Tv is a 40" Sony KDL-40V2000
    Where do i find the default settings for RF2 Power.??
    Cheers
  25. niall campbell

niall campbell Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Its in an engineering set up

Press SERVICES
    type these numbers without looking at screen !

Type 4 , then 0 , then 1 , then SELECT

put RF power ON

SAVE SETTINGS

go to bedroom , press Sky button and see if magic eye lights up
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. echrada

echrada New Member

Ratings:
    +318
    This rumour has been going for years, what makes you think it is going to happen now?
  27. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    My latest, future, bill...............
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  28. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    That's OK, and that's the thing to do - starting at AVF's selling forum where there are usually some to be had.
    BBC are going to carry some of those things in 3D on their HD channel.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. rayferry

rayferry Member

Ratings:
    +134
    Me too HD sub gone :thumbsup:
  30. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    My next bill isn't shown yet but should be over the weekend.:)