Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD box won't come out of Standby

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Azzin, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Hi all,

I unplugged my Sky HD box earlier to have a tidy up of the leads behind, but now I've plugeed it all back in it won't come out of standby. :eek:

It just sits there with the red light on the front. :thumbsdow

Every so often when I press the power button, the light flickers (very briefly) from red to green and straight back to red again (it's like a fraction of a sceond).

Any suggestions? :lease:
  2. Giblets2

Giblets2 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    You could see if it will download the firmware again by holding down the Backup button while you turn it on, unlikely but worth a try. Other than that you will have to experience the delights of Sky CS :( Even if the box is out of warranty you can argue and threaten to cancel to stop them charging you the £60 callout fee.

I like your ant by the way.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    The box is only a few months old as it was one that was recalled by Sky.

I'll try the firmware download in a sec, thanks.

I've just removed the box and plugged it into the mains in the kitchen using a different power lead and it does the same thing.

Every so often the red standby light flickers (very very briefly) green, but goes straight back to red. :(
  4. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Ok, slight progress....

I did that and all 4 lights on the front of the box came on and I've now got a message on screen saying something like "Update in progress, this may take up to 10 minutes". :eek:

So whilst I'm not there yet, a box with any lights on on the front is better than one with only the Standby light on.

I'll post back shortly..... :)
  5. Masteriser

Masteriser Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Would I be correct in reading into this that you had a Pace and this was recalled and swaped for a re-cycled Thomson. If so it will be a lot older than a few months (Thomson stopped making HD boxes over a year ago).

If so it sounds like your Thomson internal power supply has died. This is a common problem with Thomsons and is easily repairable, but you should not have to.

Under the Pace recall you should have been given a new one year guarantee, so call Sky and get another installer to visit you for a box swap. Make sure he does not give you another so called "re-furbished" Thomson as Sky rarely repair them properly, they have an appalling failure rate. If they power up and record something when they arrive at the repair center, they get a quick clean and are then sent onto the next user. I would suggest you bribe the installer with a cup of tea and some biscuits and tell him you will accept any box other than a Thomson.

Personally, I love my Thomson, but I have upgraded both the power supply and the hard disk (the two weak points in the Thommo box). If you were to do this, it would almost certainly leave you with a very solid box, but it will cost money. Seeing as you should be within warranty, let Sky have the problem.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  6. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    It's a brand new Pace box (or it was when it was swapped a few months ago!!)
  7. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Well I don't know what I did or how I did it, but I got the green light to come on! :clap:
  8. Masteriser

Masteriser Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Are you sure? The installers tended to collect perfectly working (but re-called) Pace boxes and swap them with re-cycled and badly (if at all) repaired Thomsons.

If you look at your System Details what does it say?
  9. Giblets2

Giblets2 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Errr, you re-installed the firmware and it fixed it - simple as!
  10. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    It says "Pace" :D

It's definately a Pace, as I remember whren the Engineer turned up I asked him what he had and he said Pace or Amstrad, so I asked for a Pace (I also checked in in System Details last night.

It was also a brand new box as I watched him open it all up.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  11. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    The thing is, it didn't work straight after the firmware update.

If it had come straight on after that I'd be convinced it was that that fixed it, but it took a coupl eof unplugs etc before the light came on (in fact when I did get it to come on, all that was plugged in was the power lead! :eek: ).

So I quickly got my wife to come in and hold the shelf above the Sky box and very gently plugged the HDMI/Optical/Coax leads back in, then Voila!+

[Edit] - It was Pace or Thomson he offered me: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/965470-pace-recall-thread-2-a-3.html
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  12. Giblets2

Giblets2 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Strange indeed! I'd tap the Sky CS number into your speed dial just in case... ;)
  13. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Good call.

Does anyone have the landline number that the 0845 numbers mask?
  14. Giblets2

Giblets2 Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Apparently it's 0131 208 3526 (say no to 0870.com) but if you have SkyTalk it's now free from your landline anyway.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    So I guess the question is, do I cancel the engineer's visit tomorrow?
  16. wilbanat

wilbanat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,232
    I had the same fault but on a Thompson sd + box
    did the reboot and it worked perfectly and that was about 7 months ago.
    I know its a completly different box but it was the same fault.....