1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky hd box switch on problem

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by Nick Odgers, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have noticed recently that when I switch on box the led changes to green for a few seconds and then goes back to red again; if I wait a minute it will eventually switch on, any ideas? The box is not in an enclosed space.
  2. kevmarshall

kevmarshall Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Not sure why you want to switch the box off in the first place but it is quite normal to take a few minutes to boot up when the power has been off. The light will turn green when it is ready to go.......
  3. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This is not switching off at the mains, but the switch on top of the hd box.
  4. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    could maybe be the hd playing up.how old and what model?
  5. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I got it from e bay about 2 years ago, Thomson with upgraded p/s, just now it switched on ok, I changed hard drive in an old Sky + so may have to do it with this one eventually.
  6. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Still having problems with box, takes about three attempts for it to come on, wondering about leaving it on permanently. It sounds like a hard drive problem. Is it 4 0 1 select to get into service menu, I have tried it and get sky sports upgrade message every time.
  7. newboy2008

newboy2008 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    old epg = services 4,0,1 select(Amstrad and most Samsung)

new epg= services 0,,0,1 select(Thomson,Pace and some Samsung)
  8. DJMS

DJMS Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Go into the EPG first then 401 select (quickly) so that it registers as 01 and not 0 then 1. Sounds like you are just doing it from a channel which will indeed take you to Sky sports 1
  9. SMM75

SMM75 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I would put money on this problem being a faulty PSU (again). Many people selling 'upgraded' or repaired boxes on e-bay don't use Satcure's kits (not me included)... It's probably got better caps than the original PSU as that's not difficult, but to fail within 2 years is a bit of a poor show.

Take a look inside and see if any of the caps are bulging.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2009
  10. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help, two days ago I did a software upgrade, (switch on at mains with backup pressed) and it has been ok since, so hopefully that has cured it.
    :)
  11. SMM75

SMM75 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I hope so...
  12. HDCriticalFan

HDCriticalFan Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Er, no.

For anyone else interested in the Installer's Menu, there is no need to do anything quickly.

On the old EPG - from watching a normal channel, press :-

Services (the third button along the top of the remote)
    Select

Remember, pay no heed to what is happening on the screen - this is a hidden menu which only appears when you are inished.

On the new EPG - from watching a normal channel, press :-

Services
    Select

It's then "7" and "Down" to call up the yes/no screen for going ahead with a Planner Rebuild.

Regards
  13. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers Member

Ratings:
    +4
    It has started playing up again, when I switch on light goes green and picture appears for a couple of seconds then switches off; if I wait a while it will switch on, on second attempt. Also twice tried to record "The Force" on 4 HD and got failed recordings, have tried software reset and system rebuild, I think a replacement hard drive is worth trying before Stanley hammer is produced!