1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD box, Freesat, Recording Question

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by agholdroyd, Oct 25, 2007.

1. agholdroyd

agholdroyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've got a Sky HD box without subscription and an old freesat card from a standard sky box. I've also got a twin cable feeds as the previous house owners had sky+.

Without paying any money to sky on sbscription, should I be able to record freesat using my SkyHD box? Or is recording impossible without a form of contract with Sky?

Is there a hack to get the SkyHD box to record without subscription?

I just want to record FREE TV off of my sky feed...

TIA

Alex
  2. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Sorry but this is not possible without a Sky subscription.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. agholdroyd

agholdroyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That sucks - I mean it's not like I want to use something I haven't paid for...ie I have the storage space etc in the box which I paid for.

Guess I should have asked before buying, doh.
  4. Neil Watson

Neil Watson Member

Ratings:
    +81
    However you want to use facilities within the EPG that indicate when a program starts & stops. You haven't paid for that ability :(
  5. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    DVD Recorder? VCR? Tivo?
  6. agholdroyd

agholdroyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed...I assumed, wrongly, that the SkyHD box would just record...not ask the satellite for permission first...bit of a waste of money now. :(

If the Sky website was working I'd have a look at the most basic package cost...will try again later.
  7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson Member

Ratings:
    +81
    £16 for sky 1mix out of the 6 available. Increases by £1 for each additional mix you want.
  8. agholdroyd

agholdroyd Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers - 1 last q...are all fans loud? Do they stay running for ages after the box has been put on standby? Does mine need sorting?
  9. ian-d

ian-d Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Mixed opinions on how loud the fans are, some (especially in the early days) were loud, but the newer version3 generation don't seem to suffer as much. The fans do generally run all the time but if you drop the anytime option and put autostandby on, they should shut off after the HDD stops spinning.
  10. bisoner

bisoner Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Interestingly I have had a sky subscription for the past year but cancelled it and now only get the basic channels (freesat ones I think). The good news is that I still have some of the Sky+ features like being about to record and use series link. I can also pause live TV.

I've gone from pay £55 per month to nothing and the only thing I would of missed was the recording function - which I still seem to have. I can't record two channels at the same time but then again this is what Sky+ really offers.

Thanks

Brad

P.S. The Sky retentions teams are awful - so agressive it's untrue and the only way I could get rid of the guy was to tell him I don't watch TV.
  11. ian-d

ian-d Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Sky+ isn't just the ability to record two channels, its the ability to record and use the planner/epg/series link options aswell, so you've just been fortunate enough for Sky to cancel your account but not terminate your sky+. Providing you don't need to call Sky for any reason, you should get away with it for a while. Thats presuming you haven't just cancelled and wouldn't have received your next bill yet :D

Weird that you can't record two channels at once though, you have two feeds right?