1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD and Nikkai Remote Control IR Repeater

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by perrygascoine, Jan 17, 2010.

1. perrygascoine

perrygascoine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Nikkai Remote Control IR Repeater which I purchased from Maplin just before Christmas and it worked wonderfully with my DVD player and my old Sky Plus box as these are kept in a wooden cupboard with solid doors.

I have this week upgraded to SKY HD and the Nikkai Remote Control IR Repeater does not work despite me locating the receiver on a number of different places on the box. When I point my remote at the Nikkai Remote Control IR Repeater the red flashes but alas nothing changes on the Sky HD box.

I have read on another forum that my Sky HD box may be sending via IRda rather then plain IR. If this is the case is there anything I can do to get it to send in IR or if not can anyone shed any light why my Nikkai Remote Control IR Repeater does not work with Sky HD.

Thanks
  2. Daisybear

Daisybear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Perry,

I just purchased the Nikkai Remote Infrared Repeater from Maplins to use with my Sky HD box and it doesn't work. Did you get any response to your post?

Many thanks,
    Kelli
  3. jasonmark38

jasonmark38 New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    It's a pity you didn't read post #1 first, you could have saved yourself the trouble! :D The Nikkai is not compatible with Sky HD boxes which use IRDA. Return it to Maplin, and ask them if they have one which is IRDA compatible (if they know what you are talking about)! :D If not, try elsewhere - ebay.co.uk or a google product search perhaps?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Do you have chapter and verse for that, and if so why do they work with universal remotes that don't do IRDA?
  5. jasonmark38

jasonmark38 New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    There are threads/posts about IR vs IRDA on Sky HD boxes all over this and other forums. A post by simonpoulton on sky user 09-09-10, 03:44 PM seems to explain it well (for video sender also read IR repeater).

"I believe the remotes all output both IR and IRDA signals and certain boxes only work with IR and certain ones only work with IRDA. So the remote sends an IR and an IRDA signal to the video sender, video sender chucks away the IRDA one and sends the IR one box receives it and because it doesnt support IR doesnt respond."

OneForAll universal remotes are made by Universal Electronics BV, who also make all Sky+ and Sky HD remotes. It would explain why their universal remotes work with Sky. There are other universal remote brands of course.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Have you tried changing the HD remote to Sky+ mode which should also work an HD box - don't know whether or not it will work via the video sender

7. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,091
    That does seem very strange as all Sky remotes (after version 4 and some earlier ones as well) can be reprogrammed to operate any type of Sky box see here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-...ogram-standard-operate-sky-hd-vice-versa.html
  8. jasonmark38

jasonmark38 New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I believe this is because Universal Electronics BV incorporated the same IRDA capability into the Sky+ and Sky HD remotes which is used in many of their OneForall universal remotes.

It only seems to be a problem when using some video senders and IR repeaters (usually Nikkai). From what I have read in these cases, trying a Sky+ remote instead of a Sky HD remote didn't work, presumably this is the same as setting a Sky HD remote to Sky+ mode.

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to operate a Sky+ and Sky HD box in the same room, with 2 Sky HD remotes, 1 set to Sky+ only mode, and the other set to Sky HD only mode?
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. jasonmark38

jasonmark38 New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    An example of a video sender which is not IRDA compatible, and doesn't work with some Sky+/Sky HD boxes.

2.4Ghz 2.4G Wireless Audio Video AV TV Sender Receiver on eBay (end time 15-Oct-10 15:08:01 BST)

"Most Freeview boxes, DVDs, VHS, etc. remotes will work with this. The remote may not fully function with certain Sky+, Sky HD or Virgin+ set-top boxes. You can always send/receive the Audio/Video signal, but the remote relay for this item only functions with IR (Infrared) remotes and some of these Set Top Boxes use IrDA (Infrared Data Association) for their remotes, which means you wouldn't be able to use the remote control to change the channels from the receiving location. THIS IS NOT A FAULT and you should confirm whether your transmitter uses IrDA before bidding, or decide that if it does, whether you mind changing channels directly in the transmitter room rather than being able to use the remote from the receiving room."
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    "why do they work with universal remotes that don't do IRDA?"
    Harmonys and others have no problem with any Sky receiver.
  11. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,091
    It will work on some remote and box combinations (works on my rev 8 remotes Sky+ and HD and Amstrad DRX890 but not on Thomson box)
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-...ogram-standard-operate-sky-hd-vice-versa.html
  12. jasonmark38

jasonmark38 New Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Many OneForAll universal remotes support IRDA, but there are other manufacturers. How do you know the Harmonys and others don't support IRDA? The ones that do will control all sky boxes, the ones that don't will only control some of them. The problem isn't with remotes, it's with video senders and IR repeaters which aren't IRDA capable.
  13. paris

paris Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi please some one help, I can't change channel on my receiver, I have bought nikkai and on my spare room tv pictures perfect and the remote works for the first 5mins only when everything is rebooted , then it stops working so I can't use the remote , iv bought sky + remote and sky hd remote both the same

I can only use the remotemfor the first 5mins after rebooting

Please help its driving me crazy
  14. John booth

John booth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the nikkai 5.8ghz sender and whilst yes it really drive me mad when I bought it I quickly realised it does work. Top picture transmitted but no remote signal. So I played around with it for ages and consulted this forum, IR & IRDA ?!? Works on new and old sky+ HD boxes (I have both) turn the antennas nikkai side out and point them at each other.... Simple. They antennas feel like they only go so far but won't rotate but they do click all the way round.

If someone says IR & IRDA again on this forum I'm going to explode it's all rubbish rubbish rubbish!!
  15. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    Your middle name isn't Wilkes, and you didn't assassinate Abraham Lincoln did you? :D
  16. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    I wonder how many times he's been asked that! :suicide:

Just ignore him, John.

Well, the rest of us do! :laugh:

(Oh, and welcome to the forum.)
  17. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    I would suggest that greater than 50% of the readers/contributors of this forum have just learnt something, given the standard of modern teaching. :hiya:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. John booth

John booth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I google myself I do appear to be linked with Lincoln.
  19. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    I've just Googled myself and I find I'm a talented musician! :D

The things you can learn on line...
  20. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Do you blow your own trumpet? :rotfl:
  21. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    Nobody else will, but lets get back on topic before Logi wakes up! :smashin:
  22. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    I've been wide awake and watching this but you lost me on post #15!
  23. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    So you were included in Post#17? :laugh:
  24. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Although fully acquainted with the life and works of James Wilkes Booth, yes!