1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky go app

Discussion in 'Android Software' started by Keithhampson, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Keithhampson

Keithhampson Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know the release date for the sky go app for android?

Keith
  2. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    According to Sky they are working on it and say they should have it ready by "the winter"!
  3. archie2000

archie2000 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Will that be 'The winter of our discontent'? :smashin:
  4. featherhall

featherhall Active Member

Ratings:
    +570
    Longest running joke. Get it out sky. Now please
  5. BritanniaJaf

BritanniaJaf Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Anybody heard anything else about this when it will be available
  6. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    A sky rep posted on one of the sky forums the other day that more info will be available by the end of this month.
  7. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    This is a complete joke
  8. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Sometime this year. my mate is working on the app
  9. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Go and try and develope an android app that streams live sky tv content.:facepalm:

These android devs including me work our asses off for u lot so sit down and chill:suicide:
  10. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    You joking?
  11. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Are you?
  12. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    Get a grip. Its a disgrace and everyone knows it. Maybe they should employ people who know what they are doing. Not hard. If i was as bad at my job then i would expect the sack
  13. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    They just started dev a month or two ago
  14. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    Why is it a disgrace?
  15. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    Do a Google search to see opinion. Maybe I'm wrong but an organization as big as sky should maybe (just maybe) of got this up and running on android by now. It is a disgrace. Winter we were told. Well, spring isn't far away now is it? I pay £70 a month for sky and expect them to get skygo on android. Maybe they are to cosied up with apple. Maybe they employ incompetent individuals. Either way it should be out by now
  16. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    You have no freaking clue mate. Blaming android dev LOL you got no bloody idea.

Just a troll slagging off android devs who work hard making apps for u and co. Now i know how game devs feel when jabroni's slag then off for bugs/late releases left right and center as if its easy as pie to program.
  17. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    Sky go is just an added value service, not something that is guaranteed as part of your package. Just be grateful when it arrives.

It is good to see these major companies now starting to develop proper apps for Android.

Developing for iPhone is alot easier. There are so msny hardware and software combinations for android it must be a real pain
  18. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    A troll who's been a member longer than you thank-you. I'm pretty sure developers get paid well. I dont slag off game developers. I respect them hugely. Ok, seeing your obviously involved. Can you kindly let us know when we are likely to receive this then?
    Keep up the good work
  19. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Who cares about how long you been a member for. A troll is a troll. Slagging off Dev is what a typical immature troll does. Show some respect mate.
  20. featherhall

Ratings:
    +570
    I think its you who needs to keep the toys in the pram. The delay is simply unacceptable for many android users. I show plenty respect, however sky have said repeatedly we would have this and we are still waiting. I take offence to you calling me an immature troll.
    my question stands seeing you are in the know. When can we expect it?
  21. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    If you cannot post in a manner displaying more maturity and less antagonism, then please refrain from doing so at all. The reminder will not be repeated :)
  22. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Do people really think Sky are holding back the app just to upset people. It is in Sky's interest to get Sky Go for Android out as soon as possible, they haven't got anything to gain from holding it back.

When it happens it happens.
  23. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    But having said that, if sky did care so much about getting android users onboard they would have aimed for a dual release of apple and android. A lot of big companies do this now as they see the huge market share of android, and its growing.

Yes its a value added service, but when you see some people having something before others who all pay for it, it can cause friction.

It's certainly not the developers fault as said in earlier posts, no one should be dropping the blame there. Sky have managed the release poorly.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Well said. Easy to slag off and blame the developers when it ain't there fault
  25. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    May be there are more Sky Users with IOS hence why they have never taken Android very seriously.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  26. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    They have also been looking for 20+ Android devs since last year. They cranking up on things mate. Expect the app to come out around summer time I reckon.
  27. Toshman

Toshman Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I am not a developer so I dont know exactly what is involved , but from what I understand it is far easier and quicker to develop for iOS as this is a closed system running on a very small number of different models. When it comes to Android, because of the open nature of the OS, there is a vast number of different models to cater for from many different manufacturers each with their own differences and OS overlays. The Beta testing alone will take longer on Android simply because of the diverse number of devices to be tested.
  28. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +359
    Sky android apps are always behind ios it was the same with sky+ and recently sky sports football.
    Maybe iPhone 5 will be out before skygo arrives on android and we can migrate to that :laugh:
  29. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,728
    i am a developer so i can share some light.

Android is easier to develope because it offeres much more powerful libraries then objective C.

Anyone that knows Java or C# can easily learn android because android uses Java whilst Objective C uses a whole new syntax.

Making apps in iphone restricts you more then android as in android you can pretty much control and code everything to do with a device. in IOS you cant.

A year ago we wanted to make an app that can sync all your contacts and intercept SMS's. We couldnt. IOS doesnt allow you to have access to SMS's.

Also. to bring up the virtual keyboard, you have to write some logic to do that whilst in android it does it for you automatically.

In terms of screen size and res. Android scales up/down using density independant pixels. So that say for example you place a textfield at the middle of a high res screen of say a 1280x720 (galaxy nexus) on a HTC Hero(240x320 res i think it is) that same textfield will still be shown at the middle of the screen without any sort of tweaking whatsoever.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976 Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    A few months is not long at all for an A+ app to be made from scratch BUT android has been a huge phone platform for ages, and not getting sorted sooner is what is pretty pants as opposed to the quality of the devs working on this themselves now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012