Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky get F1

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Goooner, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I Know its probably a waste of time because the dwarf has made his decision but everyone who feels the deal with $ky is wrong should sign this petition. There is a huge wave of protest out there and it's building so maybe if we make enough noise someone will listen.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc
  2. Batman2

Batman2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +967
    I have watched F1 since the Nigel Mansel days and have to say the current format and presenters the BBC have is simply the best, I watch the Qualifying on Saturday and the entire race on Sundays and love it all.

I think now that SKY and Murdoch has his claws in F1 it will not be good for the sport, they totally killed Boxing & Cricket. I think the fact that we will only be getting highlights for every other race will probably mean that I will probably stop watching it as I will be missing half the events.

In February this year I got rid of Sky HD+ and got myself a Humax HD box that does everything SKY HD+ did but for FREE, saving me at least £25 a month. Since leaving, SKY has constantly been contacting me asking if I would like to come back for 50% off for a year, lol.

There is no way I am going back to SKY & Murdoch so I am really sad that it will eventually mean the end of my F1 weekends.
  3. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,135
  4. Alan CD

Alan CD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,425
    It's the end of the 2011 F1 season (after the Brazil race) and I suppose the end of full BBC coverage of F1 events.

From now on $ky will be in the driving $eat. So, goodbye F1 and I wi$h you all the be$t for the future.

:mad:
  5. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Why does everyone always equate Sky and the Murdoch's? News international have a stake in the company but neither of them are on the board and they certainly dont have any control over the company? Better to applaud the company that employs over 15,000 staff in the UK and that has revolutionized TV and sport in the UK. They took a huge risk in launching satellite TV in the UK and now its paying off. It makes good business sense and Sky did the only thing they SHOULD have done when the BBC came to them. It's not sky's fault it's the BBC's.
  6. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,720
    F1 to have it's own channel and also been confirmed races to be shown with no ads.
  7. Rog69

Rog69 Member

Ratings:
    +325
    That's the end of F1 on TV for me, it's pretty much the only sport I go out of my way to watch so I can't justify a Sky sports sub just for that. I can't be bothered with highlights and watching the odd race in isolation so it's goodbye F1.
  8. timus

timus Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Cant be bothered with highlights so wont be sticking with F1 next year. Im not paying to have sky just for the F1.
  9. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,640
    FYI, there is a long running thread here in the MotorSport section :smashin:
  10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,287
    AFAIK, all the races will still be shown off Sky in full just not live.
  11. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,005
    I think he meant the highlights that will be shown on BBC.
  12. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    According to the presenter yesterday, Jake whatshisname, the BBC will show the full race as "highlights".

His words not mine.:thumbsup:
  13. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    He really played with the wording yesterday at the end. First he said something like see all the action here on BBC and for a minute i thought a new deal was done but then after the flashy graphics it showed Highlight or Live Race and now they make out a highlight program is better for the viewers because we can watch the forum in which they will now have more information about the race.

Sorry if people wanted to watch it , most everyone has a red button stream and could've viewed it and if it was such a good idea to have the forum later on why hadn't they already done it that way.

If ted gets bumped back upto the commentary box don't think i will be able to watch even the highlights with him, i thought he was terrible when he had a stint while at ITV.

I wonder how many billions Bernie needs before he thinks of the average jo.
  14. muffins

muffins Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    So if you have a HD sub you'll be able to watch this without needing to sub to sky sports?
  15. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,005
    No, you pay for Sky Sports (standard def channels) and you pay an extra tenner a month to be able to view them in HD if you wish.

The HD sub grants you to watch any of your subscription channels in HD. However some HD channels are free and don't require the HD sub like BBC HD, ITV HD or Channel 4 HD etc;
  16. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,093
  17. wbabbington

wbabbington Active Member

Ratings:
    +277
    From what it says in that link you should still get the channel with only a HD subscription.

18. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,172
    Basic price of Sky with HD is £30/ month.

Price of Sky with Sky Sports £40ish/month

Both get the F1 channel. I suspect a big drive and offers from Sky in Feb. Not for me though, can't justify the price. :(
  19. meltonboy

meltonboy Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Thw whole thing is a shame for the people that like F1, don't want or need more than the 2011 BBC offering (which is pretty exhaustive) and don't have sky sports already.

For these people (which include me) it is simply taking something that was included in the licence fee and charging for it. For the vast majority of those there is going to be nothing given to justify the money. I watched most of the races, but don't even watch the 1.5 hours build up or the 3 hour qualifying programme - the BBC already offered much more than i needed.

I earn a decent enough living and a tenner is only two beers in London, but i don't see me justifying another tenner on my virgin package for this.

MB
  20. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Just got the following email from Sky:

"In March 2012, we're launching Sky Sports F1™ to bring you all the action like never before. We will take you under the skin of the sport with a depth of coverage previously unseen. And best of all, as a Sky HD or Sky Sports 1&2 customer, you'll receive this new, dedicated channel for free. You'll be able to enjoy:

- All next season's races live, uninterrupted and available in HD
    - Every practise session live
    - Behind the scenes news and coverage
    - Expert Formula 1™ presentation team led by Martin Brundle

And so you don't miss any of the action, Sky Sports F1™ will also be available to watch on your laptop, mobile and iPad with Sky Go."

I have a Sky+HD sub but no sports channel subs. Nice to get added value for my extra £10 a month but I can see why those who subscribe to sports channels as well as HD already might be annoyed at this.
  21. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    If they're already subscribed to HD and Sports, surely it's to watch the sports in HD already? They're getting extra content for free too?
  22. Redline

Redline Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    Just subscribed to the HD pack so i can watch the F1. Wasn't going to bother but they are giving away £50 M&S vouchers and its in 5.1 Dolby Digital.
  23. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Active Member

Ratings:
    +480
    I like F1 but even with that deal it's £60 I would rather spend on something else.
    I'll have to go to the pub to watch it....I'll be spending my HDsub money on :beer:
  24. aggallim

aggallim Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I like that idea (and would join you) but aren't the most of the races on sky which aren't on the BBC on at silly times?
  25. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,432
    ive never really watched F1 before but im gonna give it a go, to see if i can get into it. always a first time for everything! and I enjoy lots of sport
  26. bekko

bekko Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    This channel is quite good so far i think.
  27. Redline

Redline Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    The new F1 channel goes into a lot of technical details. Great for the F1 geeks. Looking forward to experiencing the races in 5.1 DD.
    A lot of forums are on the net are very anti sky and trying ways to watch F1 for free. IE getting another dish so they can watch it on RTL.
    To much hassle in IMO. I have sky broadband and TV anyway so an extra £10 a month for HD is an easy solution.
    I still would rather it be on BBC though.
  28. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME Active Member

Ratings:
    +453
    Well as a virgin man, i can only say what the hell sky no F1 HD for virgin customers even if they have the sky sports HD package !!! so that me out as i am not paying £££ a month just to get F1 in SD !! what a bunch of !!

Still on a plus as the BBC are only showing half the F1 season it may mean more MotoGP in HD on the BBC heres hoping..
  29. jerryq7777

jerryq7777 Active Member

Ratings:
    +394
    Only highlights for the opening race of the season from the BBC :(
  30. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I'm completely baffled and disappointed by this, if the Beeb can only show half of the races in the 2012 season then I thought the first race would be a must. And it's the Australian GP too which is one of my favourites :(

If the Beeb are only going to show every other race live then that means the following races will be highlights only...

QANTAS AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne) 16 - 18 Mar
    UBS CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai) 13 - 15 Apr
    GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA SANTANDER 2012 (Catalunya) 11 - 13 May
    GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2012 (Montréal) 08 - 10 Jun
    SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) 06 - 08 Jul :eek::eek::eek:
    ENI MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2012 (Budapest) 27 - 29 Jul
    GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2012 (Monza) 07 - 09 Sep
    JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka) 05 - 07 Oct
    AIRTEL INDIAN GRAND PRIX (New Delhi) 26 - 28 Oct
    UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX (Austin) 16 - 18 Nov