Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky dish has moved

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by gwiddicombe, Dec 7, 2006.

1. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

in the recent bad weather, my Sky dish has moved and and I am getting no signal. My dish is attached to a pole, that is itself attached high up on the side wall of my house. I've had Sky for around 18 months, and ideally don't want to be in this position every 18 months or so.

Question 1: I have a Sky engineer coming around to fix the problem. Is there any mechanism for more firmly fixing the dish to the pole? For example, is there some sort of 'brace' that can be attached to the bottom of the dish to help keep it in place? Is there any thing else taht could be used to better secure the dish?

Question 2: I haven't got the time to sort it out myself at the moment, and more importantly I haven't got tall enough ladders or a device that locates the Sky Satellite. Are there any recommendations for a Satellite finder - if they're not too expeinsive, I may get one incase the dish moves again.

Question 3: When the engineer comes, does anyone know if is there is the possibility that he would be prepared to move the dish to a different part of the house, which would be easier for me to access? As I understand it I have paid a flat fee of £65 for him to fix the problem (and replace any parts that may be broken), but don't know if that will stretch to him relocating the dish.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

G
  2. monkey69

monkey69 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    dig a hole in a garden shrub bed, and stick a metal pole in to it with some concrete, then mount a dish off fleabay for 15 quid onto it. This method is pretty common on the continent. Sky like to put them high up, but you don't really need to as line of sight isn't where the LNB is pointing - this just catches the reflected signal from the dish.

maplins do a satellite finder, I think the total will come to less than the 65 quid sky charge, and you'll be able to reach it in future when the country is being battered again.
  3. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    There'll probably be a good reason it is up on a pole - possibly a line of sight isue so locating it to another part of the house is going to be tricky, otherwise it would have been put there from day one. Mostly now dishes are mounted one ladder section high (between the ground floor and upper floor). Extra bracketry if needed will cost you extra on top of the £65.

Cheers, Franc
  4. Inactive

Inactive Member

Ratings:
    +40
    A properly fitted dish should not move in any wind, however high up it is.
  5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,102
    But may rip the bolts from the wall (if too securely fixed to brackets) or the dish may bend if strong enough winds.
  6. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all.

Just to say I live on a very windy hill, and the dish does take the full force of the gales.

In the end I cancelled the Sky visit because I got in touch with an independent. He wasn't happy that with the brackets on the pole, saying they were too close together, so moved them further apart, making it more stable. All working again now after he realigned the dish.