1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Broadband..Problems already....

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by nico_4, Sep 8, 2006.

1. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have had my Sky Broadband connected yesterday but I cannot connect to the router wirelessly.
    I can see the router but its say " trying to authentic network address "
    When I called sky they advised me that its the wi-fi software on my laptop. I explained that I can connect all wireless routers before ok and while on the phone to sky I connected to next doors router. So I can see that there was nothing wrong with my laptop. I then explained this to sky, but they say that I need up to date software to match there software on there router.
    As they never sold me my laptop they couldn't help. I then advised them that its there software on there router that has the problem as its not universal like all other routers, but surprise, surprise they were not having it at all.
    So I have then connected my manufacture Hewitt Packard and they advised me that I have the latest wi-fi software on my laptop and that my laptop should be able to connect to any wireless router.

Has anyone else had this problem ? or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. To be honest I'm only trying to sort this out with sky cos the deal is very good, but I think there support and advise is the worst I have every heard.
    My laptop is a Pavilion dv5000 and the router is the one that sky sends out with there own software on it, hence the reason why I'm having this wee problem

Many thanks
  2. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    I'd like to say that I've never heard such rubbish that you got from Sky but after thirty odd years in the business I have heard every excuse under the sun from people who don't know the answer and so make one up.

When you say you can 'see the router' do you mean that you can ping it's IP address? I assume that you can connect to it via an Ethernet cable. If you post your settings I'll take a look at them for you to see if I can spot anything obvious.
  3. hottstuff

hottstuff New Member

Ratings:
    +158
    I had a feeling from the beginning that SKY would be probably the worst company to get BB from.
  4. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just spoke to them again as i have no details for logging onto the router, and they just dont have a clue. I'm 99% sure that they are reading there answers off a sheet, and when i gave them another question they would lose the will to talk or just change the subject.....I then told them that and they started laughing......what a micky mouse BB company.....

So i need to log on to www.broadband.com as there is online help.
    This should fun....
  5. chuckalicious

chuckalicious Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, I assume you've tried using an ethernet cable to connect your laptop to the router, and that it works okay, which means that the setup on the router, for ADSL at least, is ok.

If you can see the wireless router when your laptop scans for access points, then it means the wireless is on. So, there's only 2 things that could be causing the problem:

1. The WEP or WPA security on the router and your laptop do not match.
    2. Your neighbours wireless is interfering with yours (I didn't think this would ever occur, but I had to change my wireless routers channel to get it working a few days ago, and it turned out to be another wireless device causing too much interference).

So, you need to try the following:

Connect the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable. Connect to the routers web interface (the instructions that came with it SHOULD tell you the IP address, user name, and password, for the router web access).

Now check the wireless settings, and make sure they match your laptops settings.

Also, try changing the wireless channel (if you can).
  6. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Chuckalcious, I need to call Sky tonight for them to advise me how to log onto the router via the web interface as they have given me the instructions to do this.
    With regards to WEP/WAP security, I think that might be the answer.
    Fingers crossed and thanks to everyone
  7. chuckalicious

chuckalicious Member

Ratings:
    +4
    before you call them, connect up the laptop as suggested, and then type in

192.168.0.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer (or Firefox etc), with NO WWW etc.

If it asks for a username and password, try:

username: admin
    password could be either "password", "admin" or nothing. Obviously ignore the ""

I got the impression the router was a rebranded Netgear DG834, so it should be easy enough to get into.
  8. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,574
    admin & sky to log onto the router
  9. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I could only get it to work using the Advanced Security tab (WPA-PSK)
  10. triplea4uk

triplea4uk Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Why?

They basiclly just doing the billing as such its supplied by a wholesale can't remember what the companies name is.
  11. contraste

contraste Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Easynet BUT Sky own Easynet now so it really is their baby.
  12. sore napper

sore napper Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    I say its just you encryption password. Normally a 32 digit password. Do you have that?
  13. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for everyones advice, you have all been very helpfull. I have tired anythng that everyone has advise me and all worked but still nothing. Called sky againand after a 2 hour conf, 1st with there customer service people and then i got them to pass me to there 2nd line support engr, i proved to them that it was there router that was faulty. I explained that this was for 4th or 5th time that i called and the calls were all over an hour long each so they are going to reinburst my costs.

So they are going to send out a new router and hopefully this will work.

thanks again
  14. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well after four and half hours and two new sky routers i still cannot connect to there router via wi-fi.
    So all they could advise me to do if i wish this service to work is to buy there wi-fi adapter.
    As sky BB is working on my pc though my ethernet and the fact it is free, i have stayed with then, but i have got them to put on my notes that, if i am able to prove to them that my wi-fi is ok and that there chimp of 2ls didnt have a clue what he was talking about, they are going to reinburst the cost of there adapter and compensat my bloody time and effert......

So i am on a mission now on why this bloody thing wont work with sky's router and there own software on there router
  15. ken dong

ken dong Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey nico_4 I am having exactly the same problems as you with my wireless set up (including ordering their dongles and speaking to people for hours about 'checking the wires are plugged in' and nothing actually useful).
    I too am on a mission to sort it let us know how you go on. Maybe we'll be near each other in the 'on hold' queue!
  16. nico_4

nico_4 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ken Dong, good luck matey and if i get anywhere i will let you know........
  17. is1111

is1111 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    nico_4 not sure if this is any use but have a look at this site :
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=772

that thread is a basic setup guide but it may help you with your problem. also find that people on that site are very helpful and much more knowledgable than sky tech support.
    if there is a way to get your laptop connected i'm sure someone there will be able to help.

i fitted a new wireless card in my pc yesterday and had to change a few things in the router to get reconnected and to set security up again so it can be a pain. i couldn't get card to connect at first same as you with it finding the signal but not authenticating it. i'm sure this was due to me changing from WEP to WPA and i had router set to only accept known mac address's. you should have got a little card with the router which has the WPA key on it. you could amybe try and change the security settings in router to WEP and when you try to connect to network windows should ask you to type the new key in.

one thing can you let me know what the wireless card is in your laptop or which type of laptop it is. it may be a compatibility issue with the card and the sky(netgear) router which i doubt but may be worthwhile trying to check if there is any known problems with that combination
  18. itch

itch Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Had exactly the same problems but all seems fine now. Went into the router settings by typing 192.168.0.1 user name: admin password:sky. I clicked on wireless settings (top option) and then changed mode to g only and selected a different channel (5 in my case) I also changed the network key to my own choice but left it as wpa-psk. Works flawlessly now on two laptops and the desktop. Don't know why it worked but it,s worth a try. For info i have now changedb the mode to Auto 108Mbps which chooses its own channel and all is still working very well.Don't forget to change laptop settings accordingly. Hope this helps I was about to demand a new router and sky help was useless. cheers anyway:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. carlp

carlp Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i have same problem with wireless. just bought a 10 metre ethernet cable
    £5.00 from ebay put it in today works ok. sky no help at all:mad:
  20. GingerTez

GingerTez Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I had the same problem. To begin with Sky wouldn't believe that there is nothing wrong with my 3 PCs with wireless cards, and they said that they can't troubleshoot problems with PCs trying to connect wirelessly if they don't use the Sky USB wireless adapters. I eventually managed to persuade them that I worked with PCs day in day out and that I could interpret whatever they told me to do with a Sky adapter into standard windows terms.

When I finally got to talk to an engineer he tried a few things and finally got me to change the Channel number from 11. I tried 1 to start with but it didn't work, and then tried 6 and it's been working fine ever since.

Just in case my problem was different from yours... I could see the network in the Available Wireless Networds window but when I tried to connect it would sometimes ask me for the WPA key and sometimes wouldn't - regardless of whether I was asked for it or not the PC was unable to connect.

By the way, the Sky engineer told me that the only reason they won't troubleshoot non-Sky wireless cards is because they KNOW that theirs work but can't know that others do. Also, the Sky wireless cards just let Windows configure them just like most other cards under Windows XP (I think there's a Sky 'interface' but it just directly configures the Windows settings).

Cheers,
    Terry.
  21. bytor

bytor Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I got SKY the other day (30/10/06). It worked that evening (both ethernet & wireless). Next morning, worked fine - though must confess performance was disappointing.

Came home that night, switched on PC - no joy. Called SKY - could not get ANY internet site up on either wireless OR ethernet!! The only way I could view the internet was through my old dial up connection.

Anyway, routed around on herea nd found a description on how to put wireless right (see post from ITCH above). I followed his EXACT steps (though I have left the mode on 'g'). After switching the router on/off a couple of times (did not reboot PC) it seems to work - I had tried previously tonight and got nothing. Now, it could have been due to power on/off of modem, but I doubt it. Not only is it working, it's reallt fast - lot faster than the first night!!!!

So fingers crossed, may have cracked it!!

More than happy to get emails if you need more advice....
  22. shatiq

shatiq Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have same problem with my ACER laptop, Could not connect wirelessly but can connect with ethernet cable. My laptop is nearly new and fine with all other wireless connection at work or frineds but not with sky. Been to tech. support twice, they replaced my router but problem still there.
    Customer advisor told me that he cant help me with wireless adopter other than what sky provided, silly isn't it,..? left me at my own to try and test different setting options, not very nice customer service...is it?
    If any one knows the solution of the problem please please tell us on ...thanks
  23. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    True, but for the LLU services they provide I dont think much has changed from when Easynet ran the show from a technical standpoint, and Easynet were (are) prettty decent. The problems all seem to arise from the customer services side of things which is ran by the Sky monkeys and does seem dire (support, billing etc).

Also I am not sure if Easynet are involved in the non LLU products they provide like connect which is just basically BT Wholesale IP stream.
  24. craig777

craig777 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I had this same problem when trying to connect via wireless with my laptop. I couldn't enter the supplied Sky network key into my wireless adaptor setup on my laptop because the adaptor wasn't compatible with WPA-PSK encryption. (The Sky router encryption by default is setup as WPA-PSK.)

My adaptor is made by USRobotics so I went to their website and updated my driver. I was then able to enter the sky network key and connect with no problem.

Of course you could just go into the router setup and change the type of encryption used, which matches your laptop and then choose your own network key.
  25. dups45

dups45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, im looking at getting Sky Broadband with their Phone and TV package

When i get the router, does it have to go next to my computer? Cus i dont have a phone line next to the computer, i wanted the router downstairs and have the computer upstairs. How can i do this without having wires everywhere. I was assuming that i wud just get an Ethernet card and it wud work, but i have some suspisions

Also, my laptop, im assuming that will just work with its built in ethernet card? My computer doesnt have one, how much does this cost to buy from sky?
  26. Dubster

Dubster Member

Ratings:
    +82
    The router can work wirelessly so theres no need to place it near your pc.If your pc isnt wireless enabled? try places like pc world (probably cheaper than buying direct from sky) etc for wireless desktop cards.
  27. craig1912

craig1912 Member

Ratings:
    +182
    Or get these-
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=MAINS ETHERNET

wireless doesn't work great in my house but these are superb.

Another question- Do you have to use Skys router??
    Thanks
  28. fleetstar

fleetstar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    log in to the router [192.168.0.1 ] admin and sky as pass work . then try changeing the channel by at lest 5 . click save . best of luck
  29. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Currently in dispute with sky bb.the connection is fine sometimes (like now) but at other times connection is impossible. sky cs are a joke they offer no help,english was obviously a second language.after an hour of asking them to continually repeat what they said, got nowhere and the lady said the troubleshooting was exhausted and they would try to get back to me in 3 days (!!!!).:mad: That was monday, heard nothing yet.
  30. ufo-blue-dog

ufo-blue-dog Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot your tip worked a treat,SORTED!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: